I think i made a wrong choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I was DSLR hunting, I was initially looking at the D70 or the EOS 350. Played with both extensively, but was never too happy with the "feel" of the camera. I found the controls to either be too limiting, or just not in a "logical" place for me. Grip mattered too. The Canon 350 had an ok grip, but not too comfy. The Nikon grip was better, but I didn't like the layout controls. Then i walked past the Sonystyle, and played with the A100. It immediately felt right, the grip was exactly what I wanted and I could immediataly figure out what the settings were, etc. Combined with the image stabilization built into the body, meaning all lenses have IS, it was my new frontrunner.

Then I did a little research and found out that all the old Minolta lenses will work on the A100... And I got an A100 with a 22-year-old minolta lens and everything worked perfectly. Still a happy Sony shooter today. :)

eh Sin77 brother, dun be so sad k.... for the beginner level, its the best to start off with Nikon.

Think about it this way:
1) Go and use ur previous PNS and then use ur D60 to shoot the exact same item. Then go preview it on ur computer, which one is much nicer? Answer: D60

2) Hang the D60 on ur neck, hold the D60 in ur hands. After that hold the PNS, which one has a nicer and shiok feeling? Answer: D60

3) Hang the D60 and walk around the streets and get all the stares and look of everyone looking at ur cam as if u are a professional photographer. Then hang the PNS and walk around. Which one more shiok feeling? Answer: D60

4) Take a look at users of D3 and see how much they are sweating and their forearm groaning in pain after 3 hours of usage. Then u take ur D60 and laugh out loud at how light it is. Which one better? Answer: D60

5) D3 takes 11 fps at $7000, which is 1 fps for $1000. D60 take 3fps for $1000, which is 1 fps for $333. Which one more value for money? Answer: D60

6) Use D60 + kit lens and then take a D3 + 24-70 f2.8 to shoot the same scene. Then take the photo and show it to the average person on the street. what the people will say "Both images look the same". So again, which one is better value for money? Answer: D60

7) While your D60 don't have the motor inside and thus u are limited at the lens choices. Think again, is ur lens focal length and apeture requirements so specific to the non AF-S lens? Is there really no equivalent substitute of AF-S lens that are at almost the same price?
Frankly, AF-S lenses are quieter and focus smoother, if possible just get the AF-S lens.
D3 with a motor to use non AF-S lens but cost $7000. D60 with no motor but yet u can find roughly equivalent lens of same quality and D60 cost $1000. So which one better? Answer: D60

ok, so tell me now, why are u still so sad with a D60, it trashes the $7000 D3 upside down. :thumbsup:

Aiyo, just get an A200 and end this whole Nikon vs. Nikon war! :bsmilie:

haha actually i read a article in the hardware mag april edition if i'm not wrong.
theres a review on the nikon D60 and the reviewers gave it a 9/10.
they reviewed on the picture quality, the user-friendliness, and on value.
it gave the value a 10 out of 10.
well, i hope this helps but, yeah, go check it out and maybe you'll find out you got a good buy after all.. :bigeyes:

cheers..
hope i helped. ;p

edit:
the link is here but i dont know if theres the page there : http://www.hardwaremag.com/sg/

go to some ntuc or some 7 eleven to read it.. hahaha.
thats what i did! good luck !

haha actually i read a article in the hardware mag april edition if i'm not wrong.
well, i hope this helps but, yeah, go check it out and maybe you'll find out you got a good buy after all.. :bigeyes:

cheers..
hope i helped. ;p

edit:
the link is here but i dont know if theres the page there : http://www.hardwaremag.com/sg/

go to some ntuc or some 7 eleven to read it.. hahaha.
thats what i did! good luck !

Dude, that's a heavily ad-sponsored magazine with heavy nikon sponsoring. They're hardly impartial, nor is their review skill or knowledge of DSLR technology up to par. They usually just parrot press releases.

hi i am a newbie here, I went thru the phrase to deciding what model/brand to buy and after weeks of reading here and there as well as reading from CS, I decided on buying the D80, after 1 month of using, I am very happy with it.:)

I think many ppl went thru this phrase, but the last thing that let me made up my mind is whether you like the camera or not. I went to a lot of shop to try and test out various brand/model and finally find 1 that I like and is within my budget.

I think that the feel of tthe camera is very important, if you don like the feel then no point getting cos you are going to use the camera very often.

So the factor that let me make my last decision is : feel of the camera and budget.

so very true....i bought the D80 instead of the initial plan of D40X...never regret eversince....

In fact I have the mag open in front of me right now... Let's see now...

- 10.2MP sensor (same one as in the old Sony A100)
- Auto-orienting screen (as already seen on the A100)
- eye sensors turn off screen (as already seen on the A100)

So basically they took all of Sony's old tech and old sensors and put it into a "new" body. Well done. :p

In fact I have the mag open in front of me right now... Let's see now...

- 10.2MP sensor (same one as in the old Sony A100)
- Auto-orienting screen (as already seen on the A100)
- eye sensors turn off screen (as already seen on the A100)

So basically they took all of Sony's old tech and old sensors and put it into a "new" body. Well done. :p
i see.
i'm sorry but i dont know anything about it lol.
just wanted to help..

why is it that every time some thread about some camera or brand must always end up with a never ending comparison of brands and what not? are we walking advertisement boards? everyone, look, TS is new to DSLR photography. he is unsure about his purchase, and seeks assurances here. the right advice is to encourage him to go out and make good of the purchase, in the process learning about shooting with a DSLR. i don't see how all the brand/equipment praising or bashing is going to be of any help here.

so nice of everyone to give me so much advice. I hope to learn as much as possible from here on. I think no point to change camera again.

sin77 has pointed out in his last comment that he hopes to learn as much as possible. that is a good start for anyone new to DSLR. whether the camera is going to be really suitable or not, only sin77 can gauge for himself. if there's a need to change, it has to be a decision made by sin77 according to his shooting needs, not by words of others who have nothing to do with what sin77 wants to get out of his photography. no one can deny that his purchase a good entry level DSLR camera, and so are those from any other brands. if people here are just interested in brand praising/bashing and ignoring the fact that everyone has different needs (and also purchasing power) then i see no value in the continuation of this thread.

In my experience, every camera has strong points and short commings. The key to taking great photos is to learn how to tiwst a situation to the advantage of your camera. No camera, regardless of make or model, will excell in every area of photography, but if you can make the best of each situation you will end up with excellent photos.

Stop comparing, and you would'nt feel the inferiority complex. Though its good to know its limits and work around it. I am a newbie as well. Like I said earlier, Just learn to :heart: your cam like your first girlfriend. Period. No point comparing, n making yourself feel worse.

Loving your D60 is half the ingredients to a good photo. The other half is skill and equipment.
There is no way you are gonna take a good photo if you hate your camera!

BE HAPPY, for acquainting with this beautiful DSLR!

I think this thread has more than served its purpose.. :think:

so nice of everyone to give me so much advice. I hope to learn as much as possible from here on. I think no point to change camera again.

no one system is perfect across your entire learning curve. choose any system, and soon you'll realize its shortcoming relative to another system as you grow along. if for a moment, you think you had a perfect system, its only because you have not learned where its limits are.

your choice has alot of superior features absent in others. so enjoy it!

please be reminded

6. Trolls - We will not tolerate anyone antagonising other forum members by posting potentially inflammatory messages. See Rule #1. Repeated abuse will result in banishment. Do not participate in a thread merely to criticize or mock the equipment choice of other forum members in the thread. Examples include Nikon shooters posting in Canon topic areas, Canon shooters posting in Nikon topic areas and anyone posting in any topic area where the result can serve only to insult and inflame regular participants in that topic area.

Before the mods close this thread, I have something to share from George Mann's web, which I find it both true and intriguing:

"When you know nothing, anything will work. As you start to gain knowledge you become embarrassed by your equipment and buy up. When you start to know a lot more, you buy up again because you can now purchase more intelligently. And when you know everything there is to know about cameras, you realize that a lot of it is just smoke and mirrors, so you are then able to use everything and anything to produce good images".

Ponder over it, and enjoy your purchase. There's no such thing as bad cameras nowadays. Cheers! :)

"When you know nothing, anything will work. As you start to gain knowledge you become embarrassed by your equipment and buy up. When you start to know a lot more, you buy up again because you can now purchase more intelligently. And when you know everything there is to know about cameras, you realize that a lot of it is just smoke and mirrors, so you are then able to use everything and anything to produce good images".

:thumbsup::heart:

Before the mods close this thread, I have something to share from George Mann's web, which I find it both true and intriguing:

haha. i wanted to say smth like this but since there's such a quote i don't need to say much.

just want to reiterate that as photographers mature, they care less about whether they got good equipment and more on whether they got a good shot.

PS: it's normal to be worried that you got the wrong equipment, but it's easier to take some pictures and then know that you chose the right hobby. ;)

Wow, so many inspiring & chim quotes.....
;)
after through a few rounds of buying equipment & then shooting photos, I really have a deep feeling of what were being said by the quotes..

share another ones:

"Photography is not an application of equipment but the power of seeing" ;p

" You don't take photographs, but you MAKE photographs" :cool:

cheers! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.