I think i made a wrong choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
btw if photography is only a hobby for you, don't hate what you bought from the start. because if you do so, you'll just end up feeling miserable every time you use your camera, and because of that you won't go very far in your photography.

without liveview, i always get surprised by my shots where the white balance and exposure turn out to be 'funny'.
I think i need to understand and practice more.

without liveview, i always get surprised by my shots where the white balance and exposure turn out to be 'funny'.

i know what you mean, this is where pre-visualisation and experience will come in

no doubt, getting more and the best out of your dslr requires a lot more effort and understanding; to me, that only makes photography more fun :)

and you are right, understanding and practice goes a long way in this hobby.. if anything, it adds a sense of achievement.. if we only get satisfaction out of getting good pictures, it would still be relatively droll. :)

nobody can guarantee that you will eventually love your d60; some cameras might not be made for some people, but if it is more due to a lack of knowledge, rather than the camera's fault, then you are not giving yourself, or the d60 a chance. these days, the offerings on the market are already a far cry from the earlier days; i read a photography article detailing the rise of dslrs through the decades.. last time don't even have the playback function you know? even if your exposure totally wrong and you forget to change iso, you are screwed until you download to your computer :bsmilie:

D60 got no live preview.
It cannot use alot of lenses, because doesnt have built-in motor. Hence have to spend $$$ on certain range of lenses.
Lastly it only got 3 af points.

The thing i like abt my D60 is really the feel.
Small and light enough.
The grip is comfortable for me.
Having D-lighting and an antidust system are so great.

1. Live view
Even though my D300 has live view, I have only used it once... and personally, I dun like liveview on the DSLR. when you get used to DSLR... you may find liveview more cumbersome than useful.

2. 3-AF points
When I had my D40x, I only used 1 AF point. When I have my D300 with 51 AF points, I still use 1 AF point. This depends on how you shoot, and a usual method of shooting is to use the center AF point, focus, than shift and do framing.

3. Does not have built in motor
This is the thing that got to me most. I wanted to use many other lenses but they could not AF. Having said that, I did learn to manual focus and use the cam manually, and it is not too slow too! You can buy some of the lenses and learn to MF. I used the legendary 105 f/2.5 AiS lens on a D40x yesterday and the pics came up super sharp! You can actually learn a lot more about photography by doing everything manual. Also, the D60 has a rangefinder feature that I'm really hoping to try out when I get my hands on one :bsmilie:

4. Feel, small and light, comfortable
This is very important in shooting. If you don't like how it feels in your hands, you would not want to shoot very much or hold it and walk around with it. I tried out the feel of the camera in my hands, and I ended up choosing Nikon. Small and light is also something I really like in a DSLR.

So... learn all you can with the camera. Every camera has its limitations... but let the limitations push you to learn more... ;)

the feel and grip of nikon is really good for me.
Yesterday i went to alan and got ppl interested in olympus, the specs and everything sounds very good.
But when i went to some megastores and tried the olympus, omg...the grip felt terribly wrong for me.
It felt worst than a prosumer.

Sory if i offended olympus users.... but pls understand that handling and grip is different for every person...so its just me lah

Back in Dec 07, I was looking for a dslr system that I could invest into. First thing I did was analyse the common trends in pricing, and dslr users in my social circle. Canon had af motors in their bodies, and many photographers around me used Canon, so I decided on a Canon for more share-ability.

Following that, the decision was between the affordable 400D or the more expensive 40D. I was searching on-and-on about it when I found out that it was the lens that mattered (I was very noob then, and thought the cam body was the most impt). So I just shelled out and got a still-good 400D with a 17-40 f4L.

Concerning your situation, I'd suggest that if you really want to nit pick, you should look at what your camera body can't do that something better (or another system) can, and justify if the price increase was worth it. The D60 is still a pretty good camera, as is my 400D.

actually give me D3 and i duno how to make use also sux thumb

However, I am personally strongly against the red triangle label from the Nikon bodies, especially after I got to know the short-term for it among the Chinese photographers...

What does the red triangle mean? Curious. :dunno:

actually with my pns, the "liveview" looks quite diff from the eventual shot :think:

you have to be totally comfortable with your camera, so if you feel that you cannot live without live view or built-in motor, then you should seriously consider changing cameras. for me, i'm still using the nikon d40 which is even more basic than your d60, and i do sometimes miss the live view/tilt and swivel lcd screen that i get from my previous prosumer digicams, esp for framing overhead shots or very tight spaces. the lack of built-in motor is also an inconvenience, but have been happy so far shooting nikon af-s lenses (and their equivalent).

Hi

@ that point in time when u bot the D60, it would have been THE camera to buy, else you would not have bot it. There are so many different brands and so many different models. There is no end to comparison. So perhaps its time to stop wondering about your decision and start wondering about what you can do to take pictures that appeals to you with the tool you already have.

..:)

Sin77, you have made a great choice in chooing nikon. :D

About the can't use non-afs lens, i think it's a silly decision by N* when so much of their lens are not updated yet.

Liveview for nikon SLR now is awkard to use.. Dun really like to use it myself. Beside your camera get better support when u press it again our face and look thru the view finder.

Good news is more and more afs lens are coming out. The collections is quite a lot already.

Sin 77,
if one does not understand WB and exposure enough, whether liveview or not, the exposure and WB of a picture will only be as correct as the selected mode of the camera could produce. So go shoot more, review and understand your shots. You will be thrilled by the huge variety of setting you could have and how you could influence the outcome of your shots.

The day i bought my D60, i like it.

Yesterday i went for my first paid photoshoot and looking at the results, i LOVE it.

:bsmilie:

I chose Canon because I bought a second hand 300D and it was cheaper than the comparable Nikon model. Also, I read on clubsnap somewhere that Canon's repair fees were cheaper than Nikon? Don't know how true that is though. And considering that Canon outsells Nikon in Japan, I decided on my Canon. :)

I decided on Pentax due to the following reason:

1) Value for $$$ (Built in Stabilizer, well-priced lens)

2) Helpful and responsive Pentax CSer

3) Like the Pentax colour (I mean the picture).

This is just my personal preference. So far, no regret. :D

I decided on Pentax due to the following reason:

1) Value for $$$ (Built in Stabilizer, well-priced lens)

2) Helpful and responsive Pentax CSer

3) Like the Pentax colour (I mean the picture).

This is just my personal preference. So far, no regret. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.