I need some opinions...

AFAIK the D90 and the K-X use the Sony A500 sensor. Or did the K-X still use the Samsung?

Hmm, but for this, I think the processing part makes a difference even though sensors might be the same:)

Hmm, but for this, I think the processing part makes a difference even though sensors might be the same:)

Not as much as you may think. Especially if you shoot RAW.

For some of your pics, I find the noise quite acceptable. And with a NR software like noise ninja, you can reduce the noise drastically. And on top of that, shoot in RAW and do PP. If you still cannot live with that, and must shoot in ambient light, FF is the only way to go. It has nothing to do with whether you are a pro or not. But it depends on what you can or cannot live with.

since when must have skill to justify FF?
I thought it was only whether or not one had enough $$ ?

like dat I'll never be able to get FF, coz no skill.... :bsmilie:

Hi everyone. these are the photos: i know the composition is not good at all but its purpose is to show the noise. peace. :) (and that's why i didnt consider a FF in the first place.)

4655653331_eb07f69e88_b.jpg

^1/40, f/1.8, +0.7, iso 3200.

sorry for the huge pictures.

This picture looks like there is sufficient ambient lighting.
1/40, f/1.8, ISO3200? Sounds pretty extreme. Unless the real situation was much darker...:think:

If you are going to shoot another event, why don't you rent a FF-body camera, and get a similar fast lens for both your Sony and the rented body. Also, rent a flash at the same time for your Sony and see if it is worth getting it full-time. Then compare if you are happy with the outcome.

Only then will you know if you really need a new body or not.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers!

If this is the case then you have to find a way to work around. Balancing flash and ambient light, using flash gel and those stuff... they'd help in some ways. But changing to an another aps-c body, i honestly don't think it'd help much.

Btw, have you looked at those 2nd hand 5D mkI? Shouldn't cost too much these days and it blows all aps-c bodies away, as long as high ISO performance is concerned.

Hmm... yeah I think I should be trying out a flash for my next event shoot. For 5d classic, I am not really interested because it's quite old already but i am not saying that the photos would suck but i would really want something more advanced.

Have you considered using prime lens? And using flash with gel. Changing to another camera may not give you what you want cos most of them have very similiar specification.

Alternatively you can consider Fuji Finepix F70EXR which can take low light shots with relative ease.

Yes. I used prime lens for those 3 photos of mine. Yeah, I will be using a flash for my next event. Hmm, I ain't interested in PnS because it's too small already, and I prefer looking through the viewfinder.

The noise looks pretty ok to me. I would suggest that you get a noise removal software instead of getting another cam.

Hmm.. okay. thanks for the suggestion! (using a CCD sensor. ;) )

TS, if you like to view the pic at this size, it's inevitable you spot noise...but in your photos, I think the noise is acceptable and no need to nit pick over it...:dunno:
why not concentrate on the details rather than noise?;)

Hmm... okay.... Thanks for your reply. :)

AFAIK the D90 and the K-X use the Sony A500 sensor. Or did the K-X still use the Samsung?

Oh I see... I didn't know.. Seems like the 1.5x cropped sensors are from Sony..

Nikon D700 out of the question?

Not really.... but I would wait for its replacement to come out before getting it. And the lack of VR really discourages me to not get it.. although the iso performance is pretty good..

For some of your pics, I find the noise quite acceptable. And with a NR software like noise ninja, you can reduce the noise drastically. And on top of that, shoot in RAW and do PP. If you still cannot live with that, and must shoot in ambient light, FF is the only way to go. It has nothing to do with whether you are a pro or not. But it depends on what you can or cannot live with.

Hmm okay. I use Aperture actually. But the pics I have uploaded aren't PP-ed, to show the noise. ;) ok, thanks for ur opinion. :)

since when must have skill to justify FF?
I thought it was only whether or not one had enough $$ ?

like dat I'll never be able to get FF, coz no skill.... :bsmilie:

aiya, i dunwan to be seen as those people holding cameras and don't even know how to take a photo... lol..

This picture looks like there is sufficient ambient lighting.
1/40, f/1.8, ISO3200? Sounds pretty extreme. Unless the real situation was much darker...:think:

The real situation was much darker. It appears brighter because I overexposed it.

If you are going to shoot another event, why don't you rent a FF-body camera, and get a similar fast lens for both your Sony and the rented body. Also, rent a flash at the same time for your Sony and see if it is worth getting it full-time. Then compare if you are happy with the outcome.

Only then will you know if you really need a new body or not.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers!

I am gonna use a flash already. thanks for your reply. :)

No, he would need a D3S, not the X. The D3X uses the same sensor as the Sony A900, and is not a high ISO body.

D3s with a non-exsistance F0.2 lens.....

K-X is better than K-7 on high iso noise handling...

there are loads of non-professionals using both cameras or their earlier incarnations. :) :angel:

True.... but I am not as rich as them lah. :bsmilie:

K-X is better than K-7 on high iso noise handling...

Hmm... but the build quality is different... I would seriously want something that's freaking big. :)