I need some opinions...

looks like you kinda shots muz really use a FF...haha...even 50mm f1.4 can't do the job...hmm, how about alternatively, learn to use flash and get ambient light so that you won't need to buy another body?

btw, I am rather curious with your shoots...can upload the shot that you took at f1.8 and at high iso?;p

Hi everyone. these are the photos: i know the composition is not good at all but its purpose is to show the noise. peace. :) (and that's why i didnt consider a FF in the first place.)

4655652653_3b9801cfda_b.jpg

^1/20, f/1.8, -0.3, iso 3200.

4656273576_d58fb17895_b.jpg

^1/20, f/1.8, -0.3, iso 1600.

4655653331_eb07f69e88_b.jpg

^1/40, f/1.8, +0.7, iso 3200.

sorry for the huge pictures.

Hi everyone, I am a sony user now and am considering changing a camera. why? because I need lower noise at higher iso and i would prefer a bigger body. I feel that the A5xx series is too plasticky already. I am considering Nikon or Pentax.

For Nikon, it should be a D90 and for pentax, it should be K-7. These two cameras are priced closely and I am leaning towards the K-7 due to the magnesium body. But I don't know how's the noise control for K-7.

Can anyone give me any opinion? Thanks!

k-7 is not very good for noise compared to other aps-c dslrs..

of course, all this will be solved with good noise removal programs like noise ninja.

for iso3200, don't think the d90 or k7 will do much better..

for your iso1600 shot, you have general underexposure, with so much shadows present, of course there will be visible noise.

k-7 is not very good for noise compared to other aps-c dslrs..

of course, all this will be solved with good noise removal programs like noise ninja.

for iso3200, don't think the d90 or k7 will do much better..

for your iso1600 shot, you have general underexposure, with so much shadows present, of course there will be visible noise.

Hmm.. I see.... thanks for the underexpose part. :)

you can use this to compare:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

k-x high iso performance will beat k-7 and d90.

question is, how often do you use these high iso settings? :dunno:

Hmm... I wouldn't consider a k-x because i got big hands and after shooting my sony for long hours, i felt really uncomfortable. hmm. definitely not everyday, maybe if frequent enough, might be once every one or two months? if not, it might be once every 3-4 months. :)

Hi everyone. these are the photos: i know the composition is not good at all but its purpose is to show the noise. peace. :) (and that's why i didnt consider a FF in the first place.)

4655652653_3b9801cfda_b.jpg

4656273576_d58fb17895_b.jpg

4655653331_eb07f69e88_b.jpg

imho, i can only find noise in the last pic... first 2 seems ok... ;p

imho, i can only find noise in the last pic... first 2 seems ok... ;p

the first one's noise wasn't really obvious because shot in black and white mah. :)

1. I don't quite get why you didn't consider FF in the first place.

2. The noise in those 3 is perfectly acceptable to me (seriously you don't expect to shoot at ISO3200 and expect the result of ISO200 do you?)

3. Don't expect D90, K7, or any other aps-c body for that matters, to do better than those samples.

Photos 1 & 2 are situations best suited for FF cameras. Indoors, low ambient light and movements.

All 3 looks quite ok to me wrt noise. Its already ISO1600 and 3200; we need to have reasonable expectations on this. Some cleanup can be done though using a NR program.
Of course a newer sensor/NR algorithm camera with higher ISO capability can help.

FF is best suited if you need better.

Some suggestions :
Photo#2
If you moved to the front, your subjects would have been front lit and you would have captured their faces as well. At the moment, it has a lot of dimly lit portion on the left which can contribute to the camera metering setting for more exposure (ie. slower shutter speed)

2. Photo#3
Exposing for the subject only (drummer), can save the camera from trying to meter for the darker background audience)

3. If there is a chance, wait for the lighting to get brighter (ie. strobe/spot lights shining on subject ever now and then)

1. I don't quite get why you didn't consider FF in the first place.

2. The noise in those 3 is perfectly acceptable to me (seriously you don't expect to shoot at ISO3200 and expect the result of ISO200 do you?)

3. Don't expect D90, K7, or any other aps-c body for that matters, to do better than those samples.

1. because my skills can't justify the capability of a full frame.

2. i do not expect it to be almost noise free but when i reduce noise using softwares, i will lose a lot of details..

3. Okay... :)

Photos 1 & 2 are situations best suited for FF cameras. Indoors, low ambient light and movements.

I see... okay thanks for your reply. :)

All 3 looks quite ok to me wrt noise. Its already ISO1600 and 3200; we need to have reasonable expectations on this. Some cleanup can be done though using a NR program.
Of course a newer sensor/NR algorithm camera with higher ISO capability can help.

FF is best suited if you need better.

Some suggestions :
Photo#2
If you moved to the front, your subjects would have been front lit and you would have captured their faces as well. At the moment, it has a lot of dimly lit portion on the left which can contribute to the camera metering setting for more exposure (ie. slower shutter speed)

2. Photo#3
Exposing for the subject only (drummer), can save the camera from trying to meter for the darker background audience)

3. If there is a chance, wait for the lighting to get brighter (ie. strobe/spot lights shining on subject ever now and then)

yes, it could be reduced but i would seriously want something with higher iso capability to retain as much details at high iso. I would love to own a FF but i feel that my skills can't justify it. =/

haha, for photo 2, i wanted to have more people in it yeah. ;) Thanks for the suggestions. :)

the first one's noise wasn't really obvious because shot in black and white mah. :)

if it is not obvious, then it is still a problem? :dunno:

I would love to own a FF but i feel that my skills can't justify it. =/

If this is the case then you have to find a way to work around. Balancing flash and ambient light, using flash gel and those stuff... they'd help in some ways. But changing to an another aps-c body, i honestly don't think it'd help much.

Btw, have you looked at those 2nd hand 5D mkI? Shouldn't cost too much these days and it blows all aps-c bodies away, as long as high ISO performance is concerned.

Have you considered using prime lens? And using flash with gel. Changing to another camera may not give you what you want cos most of them have very similiar specification.

Alternatively you can consider Fuji Finepix F70EXR which can take low light shots with relative ease.

The noise looks pretty ok to me. I would suggest that you get a noise removal software instead of getting another cam.

TS, if you like to view the pic at this size, it's inevitable you spot noise...but in your photos, I think the noise is acceptable and no need to nit pick over it...:dunno:
why not concentrate on the details rather than noise?;)

AFAIK the D90 and the K-X use the Sony A500 sensor. Or did the K-X still use the Samsung?

Ask the objective you are shooting at to keep very quiet, that should kill the noise.... kekekekeke....