I need help from people who buy things from EBAY. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

behyx

Jun 15, 2002
SG
What is the most secure method of paying if i buy stuffs from EBAY?

and how is the postage like for transporting camera lenses from US via airmail?

Thanks.

behyx said:

Thanks.

The most secure transaction method is via Telegraphic Transfer of money (TT or 'wire'). This involves paying a fee to the bank to directly send your money to the sellers bank account. I can't speak for the costs in SG but here in Australia the TT fee for most banks is $15 AUD if done online or $25-35 if done at the bank in person.

Shipping charges on lenses vary depending on the size of the lens and it's overall packed weight. I've paid prices for lens shipping out of the USA ranging from $20 USD to $275 USD. It's a good idea to request a shipping quote BEFORE bidding on any lens or camera on eBay.

behyx said:

Thanks.

Unfortunately, any mode of payment is NOT totally safe!! The most unsafe one is by cash, bank TT is also high on the unsafe list. Personally I perfer Paypal.

Actually, it's not the mode of payment that one should worry about, but to whom you are paying is critical. Check the seller's record carefully before you bid his stuff. email the seller about the exact ship' (& handling) charge before bidding.

SH charge via normal airmail from US to SG for small item is typically USD15 - 20. Some even charge USD30 or more. Unless you are looking for something really rare or you have a bargain, not worth to buy from eBay IMHO.

Nescafe said:
Unfortunately, any mode of payment is NOT totally safe!! The most unsafe one is by cash, bank TT is also high on the unsafe list. Personally I perfer Paypal.

Actually, it's not the mode of payment that one should worry about, but to whom you are paying is critical. Check the seller's record carefully before you bid his stuff. email the seller about the exact ship' (& handling) charge before bidding.

SH charge via normal airmail from US to SG for small item is typically USD15 - 20. Some even charge USD30 or more. Unless you are looking for something really rare or you have a bargain, not worth to buy from eBay IMHO.

I'm looking for Minolta MD lenses, which i had a hard time finding in SG.

anyway thanks guys for your input.

behyx said:
I'm looking for Minolta MD lenses, which i had a hard time finding in SG.

anyway thanks guys for your input.

Try Alan Photo, they have some MD lens in stock.

Normally Methods of payments 1. Bank draft 2.Pay pal
Email confirm 1. addresse 2. speak to the person directly
Check positive and negative feedback 1. Prevent fraud 2. scams
Ensure airparcel DHL about US$20 to US$50 depend on weights.
Airparcel tracking check where your goods are.
Alots of goodlucks.

Hi behyx,

Reckoned paypal is the safest way to go about. Did bought a watch thru' ebay (from US) and payment was thru' paypal.

However, pls be awared that there are a numerous frauds/cheats thru ebay, and you need to purchase items at your own risks.

Advise is, "never buy item with prices that are too good to be truth". (my experience from a seller claiming that he's from Mexico, quoted me a brand new D1X body for US$1,500 and payment thru' Western Union.)

Hope it helps.

Cheers!

Paypal is the most convenient and safe. You connect your CC to your paypal, the seller cant see your CC. When there is a fraud, you can report to paypal and most likely :) they will return the money to you. Provided the item are expensive (there is a minimum limit).

Most of the problem in ebay is the condition of the item are different from what the seller says in the ebay page. So in the end, the buyer will lost.

I've bought 2 nikkor lenses and a nikon speedlite via Ebay, and so far I've been pretty lucky, the lenses and speedlite are all in excellent condition and at an excellent price.

Think the most important thing is check feedback of seller and email all your relevant questions before committing to a bid, i.e. what exactly is included, what's the exact condition, cost of shipping and insurance etc.

Try not to pay via cash or money orders (e.g. Western Union, Bidpay, etc.), cos there's been lots of cases of 'too good to be true' items with sellers insisting on cash or payment methods which are easily cashable. Paypal is good, and they do cover your item up to 500 USD I think. The safest way is through escrow, where you pay the escrow company who will release the payment to the seller when you received the item and check its condition but the fees for escrow's quite high.

If you are looking for specific lenses, you can try sites like B&H photo or Adorama, or KEH for used items. These are highly reputable companies in the States.

Status
Not open for further replies.