Humble request. Need advice on DIY PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found this site which has the comprehensive list of IPS based monitors for 2009
http://www.pchardwarehelp.com/guides/s-ips-lcd-list.php

Here's what I got after looking at the technical specs of Philips 244E1SB

Viewing Angle: 176º (H) / 170º (V), @ C/R > 5

which makes it a TN panel..

Hi geekbrains. Thks for the link, it seems that the only Philips monitor they have listed there is the 240PW9EB. How do you know from the technical specs that a monitor is a IPS or a TN panel, mind sharing with me? :)

Hi geekbrains. Thks for the link, it seems that the only Philips monitor they have listed there is the 240PW9EB. How do you know from the technical specs that a monitor is a IPS or a TN panel, mind sharing with me? :)

You're welcome. Though it's not a fool proof way, you can look at the viewing angle mentioned by the manufacturer. IPS has the widest viewing angle (Viewing Angle: 178º (H) / 178º (V)). You can find some of the VA based panels matching this viewing angle (PVA, MVA or S-PVA based) albeit with a slower refresh rate (Typically about 8ms to 16ms).

In general, if you find a monitor with the fastest refresh time such as 2ms, you can safely say that it's a TN. The fastest IPS that I could find in the market is 5ms.

There are many factors that you can look for to identify the Panel. Another example is the power consumption (IPS typically consumes more power than TN).

All TN panels are 6 Bits / Channel, so the effective colors mentioned (16.7 Mil) is not entirely true as most of the colors are interpolated. This is one good reason IPS wins (True 8 Bits / Channel)

IPS FTW, hmmm with our budget, I would recommend the iMAC cuz it has a IPS panel.. use the extra cash to get a calibrator.

otherwise go with an AMD proc and mobo its cheaper my frn just got a phenomx4 3.4ghz with a mobo for under $400.
GFX a 4850 will do actually unless you play games then 4890 or 5850 would fit ur budget..
ram, the more the merrier 6gb or 8gb would be good and its cheap!
HDD too but you can always upgrade later, get what you need for now. you can buy more later at a cheaper price.
PSU dont skive ah...500-600W should be enough.
Monitor, if you care so much about it, get the dell 24" cant remember the model (U2410?)

As a photographer you should look for the right monitor first. budget the rest around it :p

my 2cents worth in green, ur budget 2000...can really get good stuff....but than I feel abit overkill for your usage.
My usage is quite the same as yours but I din bother abt the monitor calibration and I just upgrade 2mths ago from P4 to C2D

DFI P45 mobo (make a mistake getting this , shd have gotten Asus)
C2D E7400
1x2GB RAM
WD Black 500GB
Leadtek GT9600 512MB
gigabyte 550W PSU
casing (use back old P4 ATX casing)
DVD-RW (use back old LG)
LCD ( Use back old 19" viewsonic)
all these cost me less than SGD700...

Processor and Mainboard
- Asus P7P55D P55 w/GBL/1394/Sound/DDR3

This is good but abit over kill, if using XP, just stick to Core 2 Dua, if vista or WIN7, C2 quad is enough and can last you many years. i5 or i7 is too new technology and expensive. personally I prefer the mid or lower range. u can choose a mobo that can use both C2D and C2Q

Harddisk
- WD 500GB 32MB

yup...suggest u get the WD Black 500gb, unless u are doing RAID, or else u dun need 2x500GB, use the money to buy more external HDD better, those 2.5" hdd 320GB is below SGD100 and 3.5" 1TB is going below SGD150 , and keep your pic/data/document into at least 2 backup HDD ( I have more than 3)

Memory
- 4GB of either PC3 12800/1600 Kingston CL8 or OCZ 12800/1600 DDR3 CL8

DDR3 is good, but do u need such "fast" ram? ....again ur usage is "under utilising" the RAM.

Graphic Card
- Either Palit GTS250 512MB DDR3 or XFX GT240 1GB DDR3 w/HDMI. (Not really sure what graphic card to get as these 2 are recommended by my friends.)
these are ok also.but you can go for lower spec , cos again, you are under utilising your graphic card, dun bother abt cross fire, cos u dun play heavy game.

DVD Writer
- Samsung S223 22x DVD+-RW (SATA)

any brand is the same lah....cos most of them spoilt after 2years...and its so cheap now..less than $40...

ATX Casing
- CoolerMaster CM690 3 x 12cm Fan + Side Window

decent casing

ATX Power Supply
- CoolerMaster RealPower Pro 550W

anything above 550w is more than enough for your rig

OS
- Window Home Premium 7 64bit (OEM)
I suggest you wait for WIN7 to "settle" down first...normally use after Services pack 2 is out..use back your old OS is the best

Last edited:
IPS FTW, hmmm with our budget, I would recommend the iMAC cuz it has a IPS panel.. use the extra cash to get a calibrator.

otherwise go with an AMD proc and mobo its cheaper my frn just got a phenomx4 3.4ghz with a mobo for under $400.
GFX a 4850 will do actually unless you play games then 4890 or 5850 would fit ur budget..
ram, the more the merrier 6gb or 8gb would be good and its cheap!
HDD too but you can always upgrade later, get what you need for now. you can buy more later at a cheaper price.
PSU dont skive ah...500-600W should be enough.
Monitor, if you care so much about it, get the dell 24" cant remember the model (U2410?)

As a photographer you should look for the right monitor first. budget the rest around it :p

Hi mynameisgreg, comparing GFX4850 and GTX240 which one is better? Also the monitor i have decided to get the Dell UltraSharp 2209WA 22" Flat Panel Monitor (IPS).

my 2cents worth in green, ur budget 2000...can really get good stuff....but than I feel abit overkill for your usage.
My usage is quite the same as yours but I din bother abt the monitor calibration and I just upgrade 2mths ago from P4 to C2D

Hi LiuLangMao, i won't be using back any of my old parts as i will be giving my old PC to my brother, as he just need a PC to surf net and msn. Also i'm kind of lazy to keep upgrading, so going to get a slightly better PC to last me longer. :)

There's currently a promotional code available for the DELL 24" IPS based Monitor U2410
http://www1.ap.dell.com/sg/en/busin...aspx?refid=monitor-dell-u2410&s=bsd&cs=sgbsd1

The promotion code gives you additional 100$ off which expires tomorrow. For 639$ I'd call it a steal price! Go rush for it ;)

Hi geekbrains, yah i saw the offer when i check out dell's website this afternoon. The price of $639 is really tempting :bsmilie: but still high for me, so i'm going to get the Dell UltraSharp 2209WA 22" Flat Panel Monitor (IPS) instead which i saw in their website as well. ^_^

If you are looking at better graphics card, you need a better power supply. Coolermaster power supply is not true power :)

Hi mynameisgreg, comparing GFX4850 and GTX240 which one is better? Also the monitor i have decided to get the Dell UltraSharp 2209WA 22" Flat Panel Monitor (IPS).

AFAIK, 4850 is better than 240.

right now, my suggestion is to first save up on things like your hard drive, your screen, your mouse and things like that, maybe go budget on screen and speakers and do away with your DVD drives for the time being.

Get the important internals, such as your CPU (most important), your GFX (next most important), and your motherboard.

I'd again suggest, getting a motherboard that supports multi graphics card, 2 PCI-e slots is enough, for xfire or SLI.

My reason for all this? You can slowly save up for your other things, hard drive can slot in easily, screen can change easily, DVD drive i don think people use it that often now. So you get a better system, and have the slots to upgrade, like your extra PCI-e slot for gfx upgrade, and with a good up to date CPU, you can last easily 5 years before changing. Save more money and get a better system in the long run.

If you are looking at better graphics card, you need a better power supply. Coolermaster power supply is not true power :)

Hi burnings, any suggestions on the power supply that i should be getting?

AFAIK, 4850 is better than 240.

right now, my suggestion is to first save up on things like your hard drive, your screen, your mouse and things like that, maybe go budget on screen and speakers and do away with your DVD drives for the time being.

Get the important internals, such as your CPU (most important), your GFX (next most important), and your motherboard.

I'd again suggest, getting a motherboard that supports multi graphics card, 2 PCI-e slots is enough, for xfire or SLI.

My reason for all this? You can slowly save up for your other things, hard drive can slot in easily, screen can change easily, DVD drive i don think people use it that often now. So you get a better system, and have the slots to upgrade, like your extra PCI-e slot for gfx upgrade, and with a good up to date CPU, you can last easily 5 years before changing. Save more money and get a better system in the long run.

Hi agentxq, i have already place my order for the 2209WA monitor. But i won't be getting any speakers as i will be using my HiFi speakers. For the motherboard with 2 PCI-e slots, is the one i'm getting with 2 PCI-e slots? Cause i don't really know how to tell if it has it or not.. :embrass:

>i might go back to gaming in the future, but for now i thinking of just using it to watch movie, streaming, Photoshop, Illustrator, indesign and i may be picking up After Effects, so will a 512 gfx be able to handle it?

No such thing as planing for gaming in future cause games requirements r always pushing the envelope of gfx technology. If wanna future proof, then of course u have to now get the best, most costly and latest..lol

>the monitor calibrator
The 2 major brands are Spyder & Eye-One. My Eye-One Display used since 05.
No point getting any gd monitor and then skip on this. Or perhaps u plan tis in for future purchase loh.

BTW, u need to do your own research as well beyond this or HWZ forum cause some will be advising based on overkill requirements for a gamer.

no wacom tablet for u sir?..:bsmilie:

DFI P45 mobo (make a mistake getting this , shd have gotten Asus)
C2D E7400
1x2GB RAM
WD Black 500GB
Leadtek GT9600 512MB
gigabyte 550W PSU
casing (use back old P4 ATX casing)
DVD-RW (use back old LG)
LCD ( Use back old 19" viewsonic)
all these cost me less than SGD700...

lol....me too...i got mine for $387. CD2 E7500, 2 gig ram, cheap gigbyte mobo, cheap casing and PSU. Re used all the other stuff like hdd , dvd and video card and even sold off my old ram and P4 for $40, so total damage is actually $347. I even pick the parts that i know can work with hackintosh....

Which is the message i am trying to send to TS. Cheap under $500 system can last u at least 2-3 years...there's really no point splurging 2K on a system that can last u only marginally longer....2-3 years down the road u can get a quad core for <$500 . 2TB hdd might cost $70 like wat 500 gig cost now...4 gig rams might cost u $70...

For every day usage, what they have on the market now is really more than sufficient.....why splurge more than necessary? $$ dun come easy wor..

>i might go back to gaming in the future, but for now i thinking of just using it to watch movie, streaming, Photoshop, Illustrator, indesign and i may be picking up After Effects, so will a 512 gfx be able to handle it?

No such thing as planing for gaming in future cause games requirements r always pushing the envelope of gfx technology. If wanna future proof, then of course u have to now get the best, most costly and latest..lol

>the monitor calibrator
The 2 major brands are Spyder & Eye-One. My Eye-One Display used since 05.
No point getting any gd monitor and then skip on this. Or perhaps u plan tis in for future purchase loh.

BTW, u need to do your own research as well beyond this or HWZ forum cause some will be advising based on overkill requirements for a gamer.

no wacom tablet for u sir?..:bsmilie:

lol....me too...i got mine for $387. CD2 E7500, 2 gig ram, cheap gigbyte mobo, cheap casing and PSU. Re used all the other stuff like hdd , dvd and video card and even sold off my old ram and P4 for $40, so total damage is actually $347. I even pick the parts that i know can work with hackintosh....

Which is the message i am trying to send to TS. Cheap under $500 system can last u at least 2-3 years...there's really no point splurging 2K on a system that can last u only marginally longer....2-3 years down the road u can get a quad core for <$500 . 2TB hdd might cost $70 like wat 500 gig cost now...4 gig rams might cost u $70...

For every day usage, what they have on the market now is really more than sufficient.....why splurge more than necessary? $$ dun come easy wor..

Hi guys, i pretty much have decided on what i'm going to get liao. Will post here again when i get it next month :)

Status
Not open for further replies.