advice on telephoto zoom

illumnae

Jan 13, 2014
Singapore
I have a Canon 600d and the kit 18-55 IS (non STM) and a 100mm Macro (non L) lens at the moment. My interest is in taking macro and nature shots with some amateur handheld birding shots if possible. A friend lent me his 55-250 IS (non STM) to try out, but I think the time has come for me to purchase my own telephoto zoom.

I previously considered getting a decent superzoom like the Tamron 18-270 VC PZD or the Sigma 18-250 OS Macro for all in one convenience, but after going for a few shoots, I find I rarely use the wider end of the lens, such that I feel it isn't worth the loss in IQ for the convenience. Hence, I've decided to stick with a 3 lens kit instead (standard zoom, telephoto zoom, macro). I've got the macro lens covered for a long time till I upgrade to the Canon 100mm L or Sigma 180mm macro lens, and my 18-55 IS can still last me awhile till I upgrade to the Canon 15-85 or 17-55 (haven't decided which of the 2 yet), so I'm now in the market for a telephoto zoom, which will likely be my primary lens for the foreseeable future.

I know that the Canon 70-200 L is the most recommended telephoto zoom lens, but it doesn't have the reach I need for bird shots, plus frankly it is out of budget. Likewise for the 70-300 2.8 and 4 L lenses in relation to budget.

After some research, I've narrowed my in-budget choices to the Tamron 70-300 VC USD or the new Canon 55-250 IS STM. Both have over 400mm reach on a crop sensor, which is supposed to be the minimum reach required for birding. They have both garnered pretty good reviews (both lenses have performed well against the much higher priced 70-300 f4 L), and I'm not really sure which to pick. The Tamron VC is supposed to be better than the Canon IS, but the Canon is lighter and shorter. I haven't been able to find many comparisons of their IQ against each other. Both lenses are within budget for me so it doesn't matter to me if the Canon is cheaper if the Tamron is the better lens. Video isn't a big thing for me, so I'm not fussed about the silence of STM. My criteria really is IQ, but i need IS too as my hands arent the steadiest around. The long term upgrade I have in mind for this lens when I'm deeper into the hobby and have saved enough funds is the Canon 100-400 L.

Due to the type of shots I take, I have no current plans to move to a ff camera. Planned upgrade path is a 70d at the end of the year followed by a 7d mark 2 when it is released. If the 7d2 is released this year and at a good price end of this year or next year, I will move straight to that. However, as the saying goes, the best laid plans of mice and men often go awry, so I'm not sure if the Tamron will be the safer choice given its ff comparability regardless of which is the better lens?

Appreciate everyone's advice! Thanks!

For the budget you have set, 55-250 is probably the best compromise if you are looking at a short term usage of abt 2 yrs. On a 2nd market, you can get it maybe at $200 or cheaper.

as the guy above suggested, why not as its just as good as L. And... is there a 70-300 2.8L? Prob 300 2.8

Sorry I meant 70-200 f2.8 L.

I did a search on the Canon sales forum and was not able to find the 55-250 IS STM in the last 2 months except for one sale @ $390, which already closed. I'm prepared to pay more for the better IQ of the STM version or the Tamron. Would just like some advice on which of the 2 is better :)

I have used the Tamron 70-300 VC USD before. The VC is well designed and worked flawlessly but the USD is not as fast as the Canon's USM and the slower focusing speed is noticeable. However I reckon that it will still be faster than the STM.

IQ wise, the 70-300 is not bad, you get what you pay for at 700+ bucks. If your budget can accommodate the Tamron, then by all means go for it.

No lens is too long for birding. :) Save up for the 100-400L.

i will not recommend the 100-400L due to its awkward push-pull design and the really dated 2 stops IS.

i had it on my then-7D and did not like it at all.

of cause' YMMV.

You can consider the Tamron 150-600mm VC instead of the 100-400L since you're into birding

I have used the Tamron 70-300 VC USD before. The VC is well designed and worked flawlessly but the USD is not as fast as the Canon's USM and the slower focusing speed is noticeable. However I reckon that it will still be faster than the STM.

IQ wise, the 70-300 is not bad, you get what you pay for at 700+ bucks. If your budget can accommodate the Tamron, then by all means go for it.

Thanks! Great feedback on the Tamron - I read that its better than the Canon 70-300 (non L)

No lens is too long for birding. :) Save up for the 100-400L.

i will not recommend the 100-400L due to its awkward push-pull design and the really dated 2 stops IS.

i had it on my then-7D and did not like it at all.

of cause' YMMV.

You can consider the Tamron 150-600mm VC instead of the 100-400L since you're into birding

I will definitely save up for a better lens in future, but I'd like to spend more time developing my skill and confirming my interest first before spending over $1000+ on a better and heavier lens. An interim lens to last me a couple of years and into my next body upgrade is what I'm looking for now.

a slow 300mm lens is not enough if you want to go into serious birding.

a slow 300mm lens is not enough if you want to go into serious birding.

I understand this, but at the moment I have no lens at all - I will need to return the 55-250 to my friend. I need something that's good enough for nature photography and casual birding before going into serious wildlife and birding in future after I've developed more skill and interest in birding.

Is it better to not take wildlife and bird pictures at all, even casually, for now? If so then how do I develop the skill and interest before spending so much on a "proper" birding/wildlife lens? Please remember I'm still a newbie and amateur.
I'm prepared to shell out more for better IQ and focusing than the 55-250 IS since I have to buy something, but at the moment I'm really not willing to buy the pro lenses till I'm more mature in the hobby.

I understand this, but at the moment I have no lens at all - I will need to return the 55-250 to my friend. I need something that's good enough for nature photography and casual birding before going into serious wildlife and birding in future after I've developed more skill and interest in birding.

Is it better to not take wildlife and bird pictures at all, even casually, for now? If so then how do I develop the skill and interest before spending so much on a "proper" birding/wildlife lens? Please remember I'm still a newbie and amateur.
I'm prepared to shell out more for better IQ and focusing than the 55-250 IS since I have to buy something, but at the moment I'm really not willing to buy the pro lenses till I'm more mature in the hobby.

Sometimes, even on 600mm (300/2.8 + 2x TC) on a Full frame I have to crop a lot. If you are using a 300mm slow lens (5.6 or 6.3?), you have a lot more difficulty getting some decent shots of smaller birds in the wild. And you cannot use TC because most cameras cannot focus beyond F5.6. Even AF in F6.3 is very unreliable. Only top end cameras (namely (1Dx, 5Dm3, D4, D800, D800e) can AF up to F8.

You are free to do what you want. Just letting you know ahead of time. Buying and selling and buying, in the end you waste a lot more money. The tamron 150-600mm lens the other members are suggesting is a good lens, but it is considered a budget one (of great value I might add). "proper" lenses will run in the region of 6k and up.

Last edited:
Is it better to not take wildlife and bird pictures at all, even casually, for now?

Some give up shooting birds after a while. Singapore is not Africa. Not exactly wildlife paradise. After one bought a lot of expensive, big and heavy equipment, then give up. That's how giant tripods end up in 2nd hand shops. Your age also matters. If young, still can carry and move around with very heavy equipment.

Last edited:
i was using the 100-400mm when i just started bird photographer and to see how much my interest will grow from there.
it is really a good lens for beginner..however,if u are using it mainly for bird photography,then i would recommend the prime 400/5.6 instead of the zoom 100-400mm for its better sharpness.if birding is your main reason,then u need at least 300m lens.
reach is usually not enough for bird photography even if u have a 800mm lens.
but then reach is also not everything,need some practices too.

get the new tamron 150-600mm. 600mm on crop sensor with some cropping can give you decent results. The zoom allows u to use this lens for other purposes than just birding.

Or just get a second hand bridge camera that offers up to 50x zoom and beyond. Of course the IQ is not on par with gear 20x the price but they are small and u can bring around daily. Should u give up on bird photography the cost is not alot too.

I personally have some little success with bridge cameras that are good enough for web purpose.

Last edited:
Would it change anything if I remove the requirement for actual birding and just require the lens for nature photography at local parks like Hort park and botanical gardens? Thing is that I really am not sure yet that birding is what I will enjoy, and I don't want to spend $1k+ only to find I don't enjoy it. Almost 2kg for a lens is really heavy too!

I'll get a quote from ms color and tk goto for the Tamron 150-600 tomorrow but I honestly think it'll be too overwhelming for me at this stage in the hobby.

Would it change anything if I remove the requirement for actual birding and just require the lens for nature photography at local parks like Hort park and botanical gardens? Thing is that I really am not sure yet that birding is what I will enjoy, and I don't want to spend $1k+ only to find I don't enjoy it. Almost 2kg for a lens is really heavy too!

I'll get a quote from ms color and tk goto for the Tamron 150-600 tomorrow but I honestly think it'll be too overwhelming for me at this stage in the hobby.

The EF70-200L f4 IS would be a good start. Buy a used one from B&S for about $1.1-1.2k. It is a good standard telephoto capable of various applications. It may not ge enough for a serious birding shot, but good enough for casual birding. Go to Jurong a Bird Park to get a feel of the lens. Since the birds in JBP is nearer than in the wild, I am sure you will get good shots there.

At the end of the day, if you decide to sell the lens, you will not lose much by reselling it back in B&S. Take it as a rental fee.

The EF70-200L f4 IS would be a good start. Buy a used one from B&S for about $1.1-1.2k. It is a good standard telephoto capable of various applications. It may not ge enough for a serious birding shot, but good enough for casual birding. Go to Jurong a Bird Park to get a feel of the lens. Since the birds in JBP is nearer than in the wild, I am sure you will get good shots there.

At the end of the day, if you decide to sell the lens, you will not lose much by reselling it back in B&S. Take it as a rental fee.

This is some fairly sound advice.

Again it depends on what you want to shoot. Landscape of nature parks require different lens from say macro shots of flowers / insects. Haha that's why I recommend a second hand bridge camera which can do wide to super telephoto to macro. Only when you decided what area to venture into then go ahead make the investment. Models I would recommend is probably Fujifilm HS50 EXR (I know this is Canon space). See if you can get it around $400+ second hand.

Ms quote as of my last date 2 days ago is 1699 and at the moment, out of stock.