How to use my sb800?

Status
Not open for further replies.

likewtfyo

Jan 2, 2007
I usually can get the settings right when it's off the camera. whenever i take them using it on my camera, the photos usually turn out very very underexposed in the background.
How do i bounce my flash for a nicer light filling the foreground and background. clue me in.

I usually can get the settings right when it's off the camera. whenever i take them using it on my camera, the photos usually turn out very very underexposed in the background.
How do i bounce my flash for a nicer light filling the foreground and background. clue me in.

you use the flashed the flash straight on the subject? hmm...

background too far and ceiling too high?

There will be situations where the flash cannot reach if the background is too far away. Depending on what you are shooting, how you shoot would make a difference.

For example, if I want to take a night scenery where I want to see the lights of the background, but I am in the foreground, what can I do? If I just use the default flash with the camera settings, I'll get underexposed background and little lights and scenery, and a possibility that my face gets really lit up. For such a thing, you will nead rear-sync flash where you let the camera have time to take the background exposure, and then right before the shutter closes, it will fire the flash just enough to light the subject in the foreground.

However, if you have a situation where you are in a big hall, and it is relatively dim, and you want to take a photo of a fren in the foreground and still capture the background scene, then you may have to have multiple flashes controlled by your flash commander so that the other flashes placed behind the subject would light up your background.

Bounce flash would work if the room is not too large, and the ceiling is not too high. You angle your flash upwards, and you can also use a flash diffuser to "spread" the light". If the room is too large, then the light bounce from the ceiling would not reach the back, or if the ceiling is too high, the light thrown from the flash may not be powerful enough.

Having said all this... that is where fast lenses come in. Try a f/1.4 lens in that situation without flash and you may get the results you desire ;)

because you shoot with either A or P mode with and without flash,
when without flash, the camera meter the overall scene, and the shutter speed will go as low as possible to expose the subject and background correctly.

when you shoot with flash, the camera default lowest sync speed is set at 1/60s, even with the maximum aperture, this is still not enough to expose for the ambient, but the flash will be the dominating light source, hence the background is underexposed.

I'm not sure what are you shooting...
But in my case, i'll go full manual mode when i see the results not desire.
first thing is increase your ISO,
2nd, in M mode, decrease your shutter speed to about 1/20~1/45 instead of the usual 1/60 preset by the camera in A/P mode.
3rd, Flash mode to Manual when you are getting inconsistent lighting conditions which cause your iTTL to go haywire.

That should be all. :)
Hope this advice can help you.

another thing you can do if your taking pictures at night like photos of friends at nightspots, you can do a 1/2 sec exposure with iso at 320/400 and aperture wide open. you can get the backgound lit.

if not follow what the people here have been suggesting, up iso to about 500 to 800 and tune down your flash a little. and try to bounce.

Status
Not open for further replies.