How to take the moon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
qing02051981 said:
"The exposure setting on this image is usually around 1/250 second at f4.5, or f5.6"
extract from http://www.danheller.com/moon.html

Can this be done using 18-70mm kit lens? I tried but failed. The moon still lack details. :dunno:

70mm is too short.....i'm using a 200mm and its still no tele enough...
PICT0018.JPG

qing02051981 said:
"The exposure setting on this image is usually around 1/250 second at f4.5, or f5.6"
extract from http://www.danheller.com/moon.html

Can this be done using 18-70mm kit lens? I tried but failed. The moon still lack details. :dunno:

Your DOF is too shallow. I've tried it a few times using my tele lens and using film at ISO 400, 1/250, f/16 and it's perfectly fine with the craters on it.

reactan said:
70mm is too short.....i'm using a 200mm and its still no tele enough...
PICT0018.JPG

Agree..even on my 300mm end, i still must crop to make it look bigger.

Snoweagle said:
Your DOF is too shallow. I've tried it a few times using my tele lens and using film at ISO 400, 1/250, f/16 and it's perfectly fine with the craters on it.
oic, so the moon is too near, and using f4.5 or f5.6 the DOF won't cover that much of the whole moon. can use hyper focusing or not???? or should focus on the american flat planted there??? :dunno::dunno:

catchlights said:
oic, so the moon is too near, and using f4.5 or f5.6 the DOF won't cover that much of the whole moon. can use hyper focusing or not???? or should focus on the american flat planted there??? :dunno::dunno:

Pro questions. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

"Double-exposure of full moon and San Francisco's Golden Gate Bridge. First exposure: 30 seconds without the moon using 17-35mm zoom @ 17mm; second exposure of the moon f4.5 @ 1/125 second @ 300mm. Fuji Velvia."

http://www.danheller.com/images/FAQ/Tech/Moon/img5.html

no wonder the moon look so big there, double exposure with 2 different lenses

Snoweagle said:

nothing to do with DOF, it is the exposure.

need to under expose quite a lot to bring out the details, else it will be just one small white dots :bsmilie:

expose as if it was daytime

this is because the moon is lit by the sun

but your foreground will lose all details
so double exposure lor

Wai said:
nothing to do with DOF, it is the exposure.

need to under expose quite a lot to bring out the details, else it will be just one small white dots :bsmilie:

That explains the fast shutter speed.

catchlights said:

Haha okok that's my mistake, but my settings ain't wrong though.

all u need is a special adaptor lens like Wai's

i shot some photos of the moon with my 75-300mm, and the moon still looked like pee sai on the photo. need a lot of cropping.

btw i never follow the rules on taking the moon. freak la. just play around with settings to get the shot you want

wai, i nv knew singapore can see the orion. cool pics that i thought was impossible to take.:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.