how to shoot indoors (conferences/semiars)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still learning and have been asking hell lots of questions on CS too.
But everytime before I post a question, I check out google, photography websites and do a search on CS forum itself.
Even now, I'm reading from this website http://www.weatherscapes.com/techniques.php

After going through, sometimes I still post questions to double confirm and also to see what majority of the CS'er do.

I bring my camera to work, so that I can practice while reading.(I got short term memory la... :embrass:)

Using my Canon EOS 40D, EF-S 17-85mm IS USM.
Anyway, about the indoor, low lighting environment, I usually increase my ISO to not more than 1000(As the noise will be quite terrible.)
Best is you use tripod(which is very troublesome)
For shutter speed, I uses fast shutter for handheld.(Trial and Error)
For aperture size, depends too...(Trial and Error)
With 480speedlite and a diffuser.
Seriously, I do not know whether if it's the best method, but at least it still a good picture.

Hope this help abit.
Anyway Cheer up though!! Chill chill~~ :sweatsm:

i think regardless of seniors, juniors, many posts, little posts... all of us are just searching for an answer to our doubts. Why bother about discouraging or encouraging comments? shoot more and learn from rights or wrongs, dun just stop at where u are when people says that you are good, there is always room for improvements for everyone... :bsmilie: Isn't the forum about learning from each other and make more friends? :bsmilie:

For group shots
Use 350D + 18-55mm, sigma 500 flash
Manual mode, f5.6 1/30 to 1/60sec, ISO 400 to 800 depend on environment lighting
Flash with diffuse or bounce card , keep close distance to the group

For stage event or candid shots
Use 350D + 85mm, sigma 500 flash (optional)
Av mode, f1.8, check shutter speed > 1/80sec, ISO 1600

Thanks Megaweb... i will definately keep this in mind very helpful :)

Cheers

e.g.

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=how+to+shoot+indoors&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

will give you

Results 1 - 10 of about 1,990,000 for how to shoot indoors. (0.22 seconds)

that is 1 million 9 hundred and ninety thousand articles in 0.22 seconds

so doing a google is really good advice

I did check google... but alot gave very "motherhood" methods... i was hoping that some gurus (ie megaweb) can share the "tried & tested" tips for newbies to best achieve an ok shot.

i completed my degree with google btw. :)

Bear in mind the tried and tested tips.

Although it may be good to use, practice is ultimately more important. Perhaps you might want to go into a room of dimly lit light, similar to the indoors you will be doing, and ask a friend to stand there while you take photos of him/her. This would then be burnt into your memory, while judging distances, to be able to select the right amount of light be it frontal flash or ceiling bounce or a bounce card.

Do it till you are familiar. I do not think it would be wise to just write down "tried and tested" formulas, and go to an event with the intent of experimentation on the day itself. As with such shoots, time and efficiency is the key. You fiddle, you miss a shot.

i'm sure there are all sorts of people in the forum.. from those who are very helpful and those who teach you things "the hard way" and etc etc etc.. that's what makes the forum lively anyway!? =)

btw nivlac.. the "motherhood" methods (not sure what you meant actually) you can try them out at various situations and see how thing turn up =) *that is IF you are not hard pressed for results la*..

I did check google... but alot gave very "motherhood" methods... i was hoping that some gurus (ie megaweb) can share the "tried & tested" tips for newbies to best achieve an ok shot.

i completed my degree with google btw. :)

from the google link that i provided on page 1 there is this useful article

"How to shoot well in low light conditions"

To shoot conferences and seminars difinatly it is not in nivlac's job scope, obviously kena arrowed, maybe just because he own a dslr.

the best way to avoid doing these in future is re read my post again.

if nivlac is volunteering himself to shoot, my reply will be different, but I can't find anything in his past postings to know how much he know about event coverage, just tell him what setting does not do him much good, and also, using such events to practice is a very bad idea.

I can see many people expecting some magic setting or formula for shooting these or that, don't they even know how long a photographer takes to refine his skills, perfect his crafts?? copying the settings does not guarantee you get the same results, must understand the principle behind it, plus lots of practices.

wow what a heated post :confused:

well guess the seniors are right in saying that this is a sh!t job... going in without attempting or having a clear strategy is obviously ramming yourself into the wall. While methodologies pple provide may be useful, a simple lookup on the net or library + life subject testing... maybe more useful. most probably you will end up a as a target board for less than ideal pictures (maybe of the ceo giving his speech ;) )

One tip may be to coordinate with the lights and effects pple. Make sure they turn up the ambient light for things like award presentation or light up the speaker during speech.... anything else such as grp pics depends more on experience and research + testing ... no one size fits all here.

I am quite sure seniors would equip things such as bounce card light sphere and probably a D2X capable of uber high noise free iso to cater to different situation...

keke my 2 cents worth... i am not worth flaming coz i am a newbie juz like u (=

To shoot conferences and seminars difinatly it is not in nivlac's job scope, obviously kena arrowed, maybe just because he own a dslr.

the best way to avoid doing these in future is re read my post again.

if nivlac is volunteering himself to shoot, my reply will be different, but I can't find anything in his past postings to know how much he know about event coverage, just tell him what setting does not do him much good, and also, using such events to practice is a very bad idea.

I can see many people expecting some magic setting or formula for shooting these or that, don't they even know how long a photographer takes to refine his skills, perfect his crafts?? copying the settings does not guarantee you get the same results, must understand the principle behind it, plus lots of practices.

Totally agree.

To TS, you should manage your boss' expectation on what final output. If boss expect just because you own an DSLR you need to deliver quality shots, then good luck.

You already know your limitations and challenges (low light shooting, mixed lighting, handshake, balancing fore/background lighting), if boss has not issue with those, then, good lor, you can slowly ask for advice and tips here and take those events as practice, boss happy, you also happy.

But if boss expect better quality... then better be do a reality check. There is no quick fix or 1 size fit all advice you can gather from here to help you overnight.

Good luck.

interesting discussion....

I joined this forum a few weeks ago and I enjoy reading the postings everyday. The part I like most is the answers, advice, helps that come readily, even for those not related to photography.

Two exmaples:
Someone asked about where to buy gear in Taipei, he recived suggestion, and someone else who is in Taipei offered to take him there.
Another bro asked about where got parsa malam tonight. and he got answers within an hour.

Speaking from personally experience, if i have a question now and I need specific answers, I rather come here then to google. No doubt google will give me lots of possibilities within second or less; but I have to go through quite a few them to find my answer. Sometime, after spending time going through the 'possible' answers, I got more confuse.

By saying that, I do not imply that I prefer 'spoon fed' answers. I do google, read other website, read books, margarines to understand more about photography and ps. But if I need a more specific answer, I would prefer to look for the answer here. 'Fortunately', so far most of my questions had been asked before and I am able to find my answers in old threads.

Nivlac was quite brief with his question, we dun know if he kenna arrowed or he willingly take the job. He listed his gear and mentioned the lighting condition. I guess he was hoping to get tips on which lense to use and some settings for him to start with. Perhaps Megaweb's answer is exactly what he is looking for. And I guess he would not be using the settings like some 'law'; he would know to do trial shots and make adjustments; especially after so many seniors have given advice on this point.

To me, every small improvement is an improvement. It does not matter if my pictures are not as good as the seniors or the pros. As long as I do better than the last time. And if I can get help, get advice or tips from more experienced bros and sis here, this will be the place for newbies like me.

just sharing my thought.... hope u all dun mind.

I agreed with you.

to me, there are nice experienced guru that are willing to share what they know. Thier comments are constructive. they are helpful and answer the question asked.

but there are some senior users, may be they are experts, but are only here trying to show that they are good. some just could see others are getting better.

After all, a forum is for peoples to share information, but hopefully constructively. If someone don't like to give comments or spoon feed others, they don't have to, they could just keep quite.

I don't call a school teacher that always tell the students to refer to book a good teacher.

interesting discussion....

I joined this forum a few weeks ago and I enjoy reading the postings everyday. The part I like most is the answers, advice, helps that come readily, even for those not related to photography.

Two exmaples:
Someone asked about where to buy gear in Taipei, he recived suggestion, and someone else who is in Taipei offered to take him there.
Another bro asked about where got parsa malam tonight. and he got answers within an hour.

Speaking from personally experience, if i have a question now and I need specific answers, I rather come here then to google. No doubt google will give me lots of possibilities within second or less; but I have to go through quite a few them to find my answer. Sometime, after spending time going through the 'possible' answers, I got more confuse.

By saying that, I do not imply that I prefer 'spoon fed' answers. I do google, read other website, read books, margarines to understand more about photography and ps. But if I need a more specific answer, I would prefer to look for the answer here. 'Fortunately', so far most of my questions had been asked before and I am able to find my answers in old threads.

Nivlac was quite brief with his question, we dun know if he kenna arrowed or he willingly take the job. He listed his gear and mentioned the lighting condition. I guess he was hoping to get tips on which lense to use and some settings for him to start with. Perhaps Megaweb's answer is exactly what he is looking for. And I guess he would not be using the settings like some 'law'; he would know to do trial shots and make adjustments; especially after so many seniors have given advice on this point.

To me, every small improvement is an improvement. It does not matter if my pictures are not as good as the seniors or the pros. As long as I do better than the last time. And if I can get help, get advice or tips from more experienced bros and sis here, this will be the place for newbies like me.

just sharing my thought.... hope u all dun mind.

Isn't the forum about learning from each other and make more friends? :bsmilie:

to do that, i join the NPN outing! very good experience so far! :thumbsup:

Expert is the wrong definition IMO, professional wannabes more like it. Photography isn't invented just yesterday. If one wants to be critical/pick on anything but being helpful, he will. Honestly, there are mega million bucks earner, real professional who wrote almost about everything on photography,even to the extent to show the difference between good and bad pictures on the very same subject.I can't understand why these wannabes still come here to ask for C&C. Never read their textbooks ar ? Some declare that asking technicalities in this forum is equivalent to spoon feeding, then why choose to go in depth to explain the technicalities on how to achieve the desired results when others are asking only for artistry inputs. Don't they themselves violates the principles they hold ? Why is it that they can ask questions and seek inputs but newbies will always get a reminder to search the forum. Got nothing concrete to offer or no patience,please don't make a fool of yourselves. Their status in this forum are raised by the number of rubbish postings, merely from such comments as "Search the google lah, don't expect spoon feeding ". Wannabes,please don't come here to seek improvement when you think others don't deserve to improve themselves. Before you say I have done my search, I am also doubtful about your claim, just like what you have doubts about others.

Just as suspected, some of the wannabes are actually making a living out of photography. Coming here to post pictures without themes or text to convey intent. Abusing photo galleries section for their free advertising, sitting behind the computer ,waiting eagerly for others to stroke their pathetic ego or trying hard to make themselves or their service known. While genuine learners come here to seek advice, they came here for free meals. Trying to improve their business opportunities here.Please lah, don't treat us as your customers here. Thought there are genuine opposing inputs,only to find out they also came here to improve themselves by asking questions,inputs and critics.Worst still they are buddies, licking each others' boots.For all cocky wannabes ,please post your pics in services offered/wanted section and not to dampen the learning spirit here. For goodness sake,please stop bombarding the photo galleries with thrashy stuffs. If you do not understand what I mean, kindly do yourselves a favour and buy some books written by true professionals and compare your"works" against theirs. The elements are there, just look carefully and stop exploiting us. I can't address you as professionals, just as hawkers and chefs are totally world apart. Please don't let us bear the brunt of your insecurities. Oh by the way, some stuffs posted looked just like colored cellophane papers. Sorry don't expect warm and nice reply hor,just giving you the dose of our own medicine and stop playing god as though you knew others did not do their search just by looking their status. Last order" Cha Kway Teow 1 plate , mai hum hor !" :bsmilie:

i think u are not fit enough for this situation but u accpet it because u want money?

1 thing that u lack, u do not understand how the flash and camera communicate. U do not know why is the background black yet. U still do need to learn more, so shoot more.

i think u are not fit enough for this situation but u accpet it because u want money?

1 thing that u lack, u do not understand how the flash and camera communicate. U do not know why is the background black yet. U still do need to learn more, so shoot more.

TS said he was being appointed the photographer. Why do you think he accepted it because of money. :nono:

to be honest, best way to get out of this sh1t job is carry on give what you used to give, than you boss will realize your limitation in this area and hire someone else.

to improve your shots it is not an overnight things, you need lots of practice before you able to deliver something decent, not just by a few words given by us.

i think wat was mentioned by catchlight is true actually we need more practice before we even shoot an event so as to ensure the number of wrongs we made is minimized

Status
Not open for further replies.