How to shoot costume jewellery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ladybird

Sep 14, 2004
Hi friends

Is there any special techniques to shoot costume jewellery such as those made of crystals, beads etc?What is the best environment to shoot? What types of equipments do we need? If using digital camera, which type of lighting should we choose?

good lighting....close up lens or filters...

for me i use 50mm in reverse.....can arrange to show u how i do it if u want....

ic what do you mean by reverse?

Ladybird said:
ic what do you mean by reverse?

Hold the lens backwards to take the picture, but you will need an adapter to hold it.

If you jewellery reflect light, you will also have to think of methods to cut of reflection.

If you use Idiot proof Digital camera (meaning not DSLR), or Fixed Lens SLR-Like Digital, you cannot reserve the lens.

actually i remember someone posted a series about a month back where a s70 with a reversed 50mm was used. I think you just need the proper adapters

For the best results, I think nothing short of a macro lens and a light tent for soft diffused lighting. A big plus for a light tent is of course the surroundings would not get reflected on the jewellry surface.

Hey thanks..this is new to me especially the reverse concept and adapter..must go and find out more about it ...and try it out

Sion said:
For the best results, I think nothing short of a macro lens and a light tent for soft diffused lighting.

I would even look at using a tilt/shift lens for photographing jewellery.

Status
Not open for further replies.