How to shoot children in their motion ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ever try shooting them in panning mode?
Never wanted to.. but unlike car... they dun move in 1 direction... so how should I pan ???

Never wanted to.. but unlike car... they dun move in 1 direction... so how should I pan ???

By intuition... guess where they are moving towards. Open up the aperture to give yourself more shutter speed to freeze them, bump up the ISO if required.

By intuition... guess where they are moving towards. Open up the aperture to give yourself more shutter speed to freeze them, bump up the ISO if required.

Fast lenses may give focus problems.. f/2.8 to 4 is good. Just up the ISO and if the child is older, use a flash if possible. With a higher ISO, the flash power need not be so high.

Looking at this thread coz I'm also learning to shoot better pictures of my 8 mth old, hyperactive baby. Just bought the D60 and using the kit lens 18-55mm F3.5-5.6. So far can only get abt 10% focussed shots. Can anyone recommend me a more suitable lens for my purpose?

Looking at this thread coz I'm also learning to shoot better pictures of my 8 mth old, hyperactive baby. Just bought the D60 and using the kit lens 18-55mm F3.5-5.6. So far can only get abt 10% focussed shots. Can anyone recommend me a more suitable lens for my purpose?
I use Nikon 17~55f2.8 AFS lens, think is way out of your budget.

good enough. all you need is a bright or brightly lit environment to aid in the focusing.
i assumed you know how to use your camera - as in how to set the appropriate setting.

Depending on the lighting condition sis.

Perhaps you can try shooting with the 50mm f1.7 or 50mm f1.4 lens. Push your ISO to 400 if need be.

Depending on the lighting condition sis.

Perhaps you can try shooting with the 50mm f1.7 or 50mm f1.4 lens. Push your ISO to 400 if need be.

One thing to note is that 50mm on D60 is Manual Focus only..

Learnt it the hard way. Upgraded to a pro-body, got expensive lenses, then realised that it's the technique and can't solely rely on the equipment.

The 50mm F/1.4 would be a good balance for big aperture, and reasonable price to shoot children. I normally try not to use flash.

i second that. this is the best way that i know.

good enough. all you need is a bright or brightly lit environment to aid in the focusing.
i assumed you know how to use your camera - as in how to set the appropriate setting.

I'm a newbie and still experimenting with various setting. Have pushed up ISO to 1600 but can be quite grainy. Most of the time using A mode with maximum aperture at about 400-800 ISO for indoors.

Yes, it is better in brightly lit environment. How about flash? I haven't tried with flash yet coz not very good with it. Usually end up with unnatural look. Which direction should I face the flash?

TS is using the Sony A200.

oops... my bad. Was replying to ashmom..

@TS. I am in the same situation as u.. but at least mine daughter is only 3 mths.. so cannto crawl or run yet.. so not that bad. What i do was to get the 50mm f1.8 for my D40x.. and as long as its daylight.. and I put her near the window in door.. at f2.8 and iso400.. I can take nice pictures.

If at night with only the available crappy flourscent tube.. then I will use f2.0 with iso800. Need to adjust the white balance a bit for my D40x.. but the pics are also quite ok.. but the speed only at 1/30. So cannot really stop her quick head/hand/legs from moving.

I use Nikon 17~55f2.8 AFS lens, think is way out of your budget.

Hehe, you are right. Doesn't make sense for me to get such high end lens for my simple needs. How about the AF55mm f/1.8D? Cheap cheap. Or the AF55mm f/1.4D which is about twice the price? Think I can live with the manual focus since these are fixed lenses.

oops... my bad. Was replying to ashmom..

@TS. I am in the same situation as u.. but at least mine daughter is only 3 mths.. so cannto crawl or run yet.. so not that bad. What i do was to get the 50mm f1.8 for my D40x.. and as long as its daylight.. and I put her near the window in door.. at f2.8 and iso400.. I can take nice pictures.

If at night with only the available crappy flourscent tube.. then I will use f2.0 with iso800. Need to adjust the white balance a bit for my D40x.. but the pics are also quite ok.. but the speed only at 1/30. So cannot really stop her quick head/hand/legs from moving.

shutter speed 1/30 :think: Don't think that would be fast enough in another 2 mths time. But mine is a hyperactive boy. Was already squirming a lot when he was in my stomache. :sweatsm:

Coming back to the lens. Thinking of getting the 55mm f/1.8 too. Its the cheapest way to get higher aperture.

A better lens won't really help in this case. You will need to predict his/her movement, learn to hold on to the half press and then press all the way at the decisive moment. The is not much difference in my technique for shooting my hyperactive 10-mth old boy whether I use D300 with 17-55/2.8 or the newly acquired D60 kit with 18-55VR. Flash is still important to get a good shot because lighting in the house is not good enough to give me a fast shutter speed, even with ISO800 and f/1.4-f/1.8 lenses, the best I can get is about 1/30-1/60 which is still not fast enough to freeze him.

50/1.4 or 50/1.8 is a bit too long. A wide angle lens like 28mm or 24mm might be more appropriate. I was using Nikon 28/1.4 (which I think is still a bit too long) and Sigma 24/1.8 (both of which doesn't AF on the D60). Maybe I'll try shooting using the Sigma again to see if I can eliminate the flash. ;p

Thanks for all the tips! Guess I'll have to weigh the options and get the lens most appropriate for my budget plus experiment with flash.

Heres what I got with a 50mm.. at f1.8 I think iso100 and speed at 1/30. Natural light with window at about 3m away. Taken in the day. She is playing with her fingers at that time.

DSC_0054.jpg

It's a bit soft, u may want to bump up iso to 200 or more to reach 1/60-1/80 shutter speed.

Heres what I got with a 50mm.. at f1.8 I think iso100 and speed at 1/30. Natural light with window at about 3m away. Taken in the day. She is playing with her fingers at that time.

Don't think you can do that if she starts crawling around.. ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.