How to protect camera in desert, sand dunes and at the beach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vee5

May 5, 2005
Hi,

I'm quite scared to take my camera out to take photos at the beach, though there's so much opportunities there. Just wondering how do others protect the camera in sandy places like the beach, sanddunes and the desert?

Cheers!

Hi,

I'm quite scared to take my camera out to take photos at the beach, though there's so much opportunities there. Just wondering how do others protect the camera in sandy places like the beach, sanddunes and the desert?

Cheers!
transparent plastic bag and rubber band. thats it....

If you are scared you won't learnt. You have stike a balance between learning and protection. My advice is don't change len when outside. You must have an objective what you want to shoot. GO for it ... shooooootttt

won't the clear plastic bag be in the way of the lens barrel? :confused:

For desert, the sand may be very fine. I had a Canon G7 compact, and was quite careful with it, but still some small sand particles managed to get inside the camera, and onto the sensor.

You will need a weatherproof casing for it.

won't the clear plastic bag be in the way of the lens barrel? :confused:
its the ultra cheap version of
CAFX-300x300_01.jpg

leave the lens out of the plastic and use the rubber band to "fix" the plastic to the lens barrel near mount. It works best with lenses that do not extend when zooming.

arent most slr ...weather sealed to a certain extend?

dun think sand will get in if u dun change lens

arent most slr ...weather sealed to a certain extend?

dun think sand will get in if u dun change lens

you would be surprised. the desert sand is so fine that they end up in the most unexpected nooks and corners. :confused:

Apart from dropping it into the sand or sea cameras arent sissy that cant handle active outdoor environments....... so just go out and shoot and not worry about it

Having said that I have shot in desert sand dunes before outside Abu Dahbi and Bahrain with a point and shoot and a lowly entry level DSLR fitted with a 28-135 without problem...... just use your common sense...... if its blowing a sandstorm you dont want to be out there anyway,,, just get in the car or if on camel, put it back into the pouch or camera bag ha ha

Your camera is not made of sugar or ice,,,,, yes look after it but dont baby it too much..... a wetwipe tissue for the body and a blower for the lens element (if u dont have a filter fitted) helps

its the ultra cheap version of
CAFX-300x300_01.jpg

leave the lens out of the plastic and use the rubber band to "fix" the plastic to the lens barrel near mount. It works best with lenses that do not extend when zooming.

Tks Bro for your prompt and most helpful reply :) That's a cool looking cover. Where did u get that from? How much is it? I've never seen that before. :p

Thanks!

no problem whatsoever at the beach, i spend most of my camera time there.

you should be more worried about saltwater from the sea spray if you get too close, but even then, to be honest, if you wipe it off quickly, or put a filter, there is no real issue, though of course, getting it direct on front element is never desirable.

as for desert, no idea, how many of you here would have gone desert anyways? :bsmilie:

no problem whatsoever at the beach, i spend most of my camera time there.

you should be more worried about saltwater from the sea spray if you get too close, but even then, to be honest, if you wipe it off quickly, or put a filter, there is no real issue, though of course, getting it direct on front element is never desirable.

as for desert, no idea, how many of you here would have gone desert anyways? :bsmilie:

Haha ya I've never been to a desert before too, only to sand dunes. I've no protection on my camera so I wrapped it in a zip lock bag and only took it out for a few quick shots when the wind wasn't blowing.. which happens very rarely lol. It's quite windy there.. (wind's very integral to the formation of the dunes). The sand's really fine too. Following the locals' advice, we used tissue to stuff our ears. However the sand still got in.. Our hairs, pockets and even our closed bags have sand in them when we got back into the coach.

Planning a trip to either Dubai or Egypt soon, so tot I should make better preparations this time. Heard quite a few stories (some from Clubsnap too) that the fine sand in the desert got into their cameras. Anyway it's always good to be prepared :)

Anyway thanks for sharing your experience at the beach. I'll be careful with the saltwater. ;-)

frankly speaking there's no sure way to prevent sand or water from entering your camera be it pns or dslr. but of course if the wind is blowing strongly with fine sand or water droplets in it, shield your camera or put it into a bag immediately.

Just make sure you still have warranty for that camera and lens, and then chiong for the sand.

Status
Not open for further replies.