How to properly critique on images?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here we go again....:bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie: CS is a great place, nice people, great pictures... everything is good... just like out sunny island singapore. I just love it here... :thumbsup: whats some friendly bantering between friends? :)
yeah, that's right.

just say "nice shot" will do, it won't hurt you, or harm anybody, most important can increase your post counts, and also the viewer ship, so in the end, everyone is happy. why not?? lol

amazing, with professional cameras in hand, all you need to do is aim at whatever you want, press the right bottom, wow!, pro shot come out instantly. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

At least, you get instant feedback from a DSLR. Your chances of getting correct exposure is fairly high. With film, you only know the result after the film is processed which takes days! It's a tedious learning experience.:sweat:

It's true, compare a photo taken in film and one taken in digital, the colors and clarity differences are there. There is a kind of brightness and good contrast latitude in digital photos that film cannot produce.:)

At least, you get instant feedback from a DSLR. Your chances of getting correct exposure is fairly high. With film, you only know the result after the film is processed which takes days! It's a tedious learning experience.:sweat:

It's true, compare a photo taken in film and one taken in digital, the colors and clarity differences are there. There is a kind of brightness and good contrast latitude in digital photos that film cannot produce.:)
woa!! really eye opener, so everyone should get a pro dslr now lor??

Woah! You speak with the true voice of a master.

Which mountain temple did you go to?

how to??

we don't know how to post twenty thirty photos at one go. you so good, teach us lar.

Am I refering to you? :bsmilie:

I don't know. If you think you belong to one of those who can only critique and yet, did not displayed one or two credible photos in the forum. :)

No need to display 30 photos lah. Just a few credible ones will do. :thumbsup:

I don't go to temple at all, I read some manuals produced from those temples. That's why I am not a Pro. :sweat:

Am I refering to you? :bsmilie:

I don't know. If you think you belong to one of those who can only critique and yet, did not displayed one or two credible photos in the forum. :)

No need to display 30 photos lah. Just a few credible ones will do. :thumbsup:

I don't know leh..

I always tell people that I'm nobody,

but people always say nobody is perfect.

so I'm very confuse,

anyway, most of my photos is "money shots", people pay me to shoot, not all can show, beside these, nothing much to show.

if you really want to see, can do a search lor.

woa!! really eye opener, so everyone should get a pro dslr now lor??

A DSLR is not a pro camera. Everyone can use one.

If you like to consider yourself a pro, then go & buy a truly pro camera that cost several thousands of dollars, and also, a few pro lenses. And, if you think you are a top-notch pro, then go & buy a medium format camera with a digital back.:eek: That's truly for the Pro of Pro! :angel:

Even the photos taken by a novice nowadays are much better compared to those taken by professionals many years ago (when photos are exposed in film format). Digital cameras give better color & contrast, also precise focusing.

If you like to consider yourself a pro, then go & buy a truly pro camera that cost several thousands of dollars, and also, a few pro lenses. And, if you think you are a top-notch pro, then go & buy a medium format camera with a digital back.:eek: That's truly for the Pro of Pro! :angel:

I agree with Sion, John Lim, you are THE MAN, the TRUE MASTER, THE PHOTOGRRAPHER among us merely snapshooters.

Please show us the truth, must go buy the camera you use.

wow, like that har? so anyone just buy all these cameras can become a pro instantly liao. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I think someone does not get the message.:nono:

The message is: Anyone can use a DSLR; The camera is not made for the pro & the self-proclaimed pro only. It that is so, the prices will not come down, then nobody is able to afford the hobby. Get it! :bsmilie:

wow, like that har? so anyone just buy all these cameras can become a pro instantly liao. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

If you think you are one, so be it. But others may not think you are good enough to be called a pro, right?

Is there a cert to verify you a pro?

you yourself say one what? anyone can become a pro very fast nowadays.....

Perhaps, technology has move so rapidly that some still hold tightly to the perception of the past. The perception that you can't be a professional photographer within a short period of time or that you can't use a better camera if you are not a professional photographer. :bigeyes:

Human perception is hard to change.

And, those calling themselves professionals, have not posted any credible photo in this forum. Why? For fear of critique? :sweat:

If you think you are one, so be it. But others may not think you are good enough to be called a pro, right?

Is there a cert to verify you a pro?

Master john, please tell what kind of cert is required, in your mind, to certify a pro photographer?

you yourself say one what? anyone can become a pro very fast nowadays.....

:bsmilie: I am sorry to give the wrong impression. I wrote that to compare modern technology to the olden days. If you had used a film camera before, you will understand the differences between the two.

The learning curves between the two are quite distinctive. Digital has shorten that path. At least, the days that you have to wait for the processed films to arrrive does not exist now. This alone will explain it all.:)

I refer to this thread as i continue:

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?p=3124935#post3124935

Are we only allowed to give politically correct answers, like nice, good work, room for improvement?

No. You can give honest and truthful comments/critiques, but please be constructive. For example, you can quite easily reply as follows; "to me, the photos lacks sharpness and the WB is off". That already tells TS that the photos are not very good, and at the same time suggesting how to improve them. Surely that is more constructive than comments like "photos suck/are crap" or "taken with DSLR? (in a mocking tone)" ?

If an image is like sh!t, do you say so? or do you just say, nevermind will improve next time? If a user doesnt even know clearly the state/level of his skills/works, then how does he ever improve, whn he doesnt even know that he has to..

By all means say what didn't work in the photo, why you didn't like it. It is possible to give honest feedback without sounding rude. e.g. "Photos do not work for me at all". Better still if you can be constructive and give specific suggestions how to improve the photos. Just implying that he is a lousy photographer won't help him much.

I personally find crap a relatively fine word for critique. For those stucked on on CS, perhaps they can widen their perpectives by looking at some overseas well known and real photography instead of chit chat forums, and see how even images which will get the "nice" comment on CS get slammed upside down. Which is also why i rarely post images on CS for critiques. I dont need people to tell me nice, i need to know instead, how to progress to the next level.

There is really no need to denigrate CS by implying that it is not a "real photography" site. CS caters to wide range of members of differing skill levels and interests. And the wide range of photos posted in CS attest to that. Chit Chat (aka Kopitiam) is only a minor part of CS, not its main focus. May I suggest that you reflect on how your comments to TS have helped him progress to the next level? IMHO, constructive criticism is more helpful any day. There is a difference between calling a bad shot "good" (sugarcoating) and giving serious and constructive pointers how to improve the bad shot (critique).

I strongly feel that so long comments are targetted towards the works and not the person, anything goes. At least for me, i would appreciate that someone even bothers to tell me that my images are bad.

Then why did you target your comments at TS? They come across as personal attacks IMHO. For example, mocking him by asking if the photos are taken by DSLR, and that a handphone camera can take better pics is tantamount to saying that he is a lousy photographer, which is a personal attack. Instead, you should comment on the photos instead, what worked, what didn't, and what *specifically* TS could have done to achieve better photographic results. For example, "the photos lack sharpness, you could try increasing iso next time to shoot at higher shutter speeds or shoot with a faster lens" etc. Or, "The WB is off for all the shots IMHO, I suggest you adjust the WB settings with more blue and less red for this kind of lighting condition."

So the purpose of this thread, i would like to hear views of others? and if possible tell me how am i supposed to comment? Instead of lousy, do i say Very not Excellent ?:)

As mentioned above, be polite, honest and constructive without getting personal.

cheers,
z.

Status
Not open for further replies.