How to improve photo?

LX3 is a good camera....I probably expect a good camera to do better...hahaha and forgot that it is the skills that make a good picture not the camera...

Do you think a DSLR would have done better under these same circumstances?

The answer to your question is sort of a yes and no.
Equipment helps, but you also gotta know how to use it well.

With a DSLR, your advantages would be:
1) larger sensor allows you to preset a higher ISO speed and still get away with relatively much less sensor noise.

2) You have the option to mount a large external flash that gives you good lighting.

BUT in conclusion, if you keep going to iA mode on the LX3, means you don't really know how to maximize the capability of your camera. So if you get a DSLR and use its Auto mode.... ~shrug~ I can't guarantee if you'll see great improvement in your photos.

The colour of the pic without flash is nice, but the motion of the kids blurred the pics. Then the pics with the Flash....the pics doesn't look nice cause of the dim background.

Thanks for the tips...looks like somemore readings to do on slow sync and lightings....

That is why you need to use bounce flash.

Hi Kurby,

You can try using high ISO plus flash. Because your built in flash has a limited reach (that's part of the reasons why in your 2nd pic it is bright at the front and dark at the back), using high ISO will help to take in the background that the flash is unable to reach. And with the high ISO you can now use faster shutter speed to freeze the action at the foreground. You will need at least 1/125 for subjects moving in moderate speed and even higher for those moving in higher speed. Downside is of course you get more noise into the pic.

Cheers.

LX3 is a good camera....I probably expect a good camera to do better...hahaha and forgot that it is the skills that make a good picture not the camera...

Running kids in low light is tough...

a Dslr with good iso noise control is probably able to do something tt even exceeds your expectation..get a D3S and whack at iso 25K..haha..but com to think again, not everyone needs a D3 everyday...so probably try the settings again...try to get the best out of what you have first...
no flash, you'll have your mood of the photo retained, but the shutter speed might not be fast for the running kids...with flash, kids can be frozen, but faster shutter speed kills the ambient light...

I think some who suggested rear syn is that you can use flash to freeze your subject, but the shutter speed can still be low enough not to kill all ambient light... probably can play with the settings and try more...:)

Last edited:

Not only skills.
Understanding of the characteristic of each feature too.
Of coz not forgetting a good camera ...

Ultimately, u need to weight what u want to do with the camera too, the purpose, prioritized your expectations as well. ..

Its a give and take situation.

Last edited:
Not only skills.
Understanding of the characteristic of each feature too.
Of coz not forgetting a good camera ...

Ultimately, u need to weight what u want to do with the camera too, the purpose, prioritized your expectations as well. ..

Its a give and take situation.
heheheh yeah... a lot of time people spend $ on a so-called "pro-level" camera and immediately expect good results.

=====
Overheard at Helix bridge last week:
A young couple was strolling across the bridge at about 930pm, and trying to take photos of themselves with PnS (handheld).

Girl: aiyah, the pics not clear leh. Some more can't see the Fullerton
Guy: no money mah... if got money, I will surely get a DSLR
=====

heheheh yeah... a lot of time people spend $ on a so-called "pro-level" camera and immediately expect good results.

=====
A young couple was strolling across the bridge at about 930pm, and trying to take photos of themselves with PnS (handheld).

=====

Definitely this one is self taking skill not good lah!

=====

=====

That's why bro, many people give me funny looks when i told them the camera I used to take some of my shots.

"Like real, PnS can shoot this quality of pictures meh?"

Apparently a lot of people still not familiar with the concept of PP.