how much is your CNY angpow for small children?

Own children of cos more, or immediate family. up to $50-$100.
usually I give $10-$12 for extended family.
But I find giving $10 easier then 4x $2 notes for non-family related kids but also more taxing on pocket :(

Market rates :bsmilie:

64150_10152220734394612_1385871258_n.jpg

Market rates :bsmilie:

This is rubbish! Odd number red packet-someone thinks it's a funeral??? Noticed the odd number is for the low income group, hidden meaning that they should be cursed for being poor?

Such a thing as published market rates for such things??? People should have their heads examined - or is it an absence of instructions from the government that needs to be filled?

Last edited:
This is rubbish! Odd number red packet-someone thinks it's a funeral??? Noticed the odd number is for the low income group, hidden meaning that they should be cursed for being poor?

Such a thing as published market rates for such things??? People should have their heads examined - or is it an absence of instructions from the government that needs to be filled?

The middle income also have $5. :bsmilie:
So instead of $5, you prefer they gave you $4, $44, $444 even numbers ???? :bsmilie::bsmilie:

The table makes me so happy that we were within our designated range of angbao rates!!!

Haha anw interesting take on the angbao rates..

Oh, didn't know the chairman of the company I work for is considered middle income class.

Wah! Man... I have only be getting $4 my entire life!

The middle income also have $5. :bsmilie: So instead of $5, you prefer they gave you $4, $44, $444 even numbers ???? :bsmilie::bsmilie:

Means middle income also not up enough to receive proper goodwill.

Regardless, who do they think they are trying to dictate or provide 'guidance' - crap at its best.

Should be $2-6 and I received many $4 ang pow when I was young

from wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_envelope
The amount of money contained in the envelope usually ends with an even digit, in accordance with Chinese beliefs; odd-numbered money gifts are traditionally associated with funerals. Still in some regions of China and in its diasporic community, odd-numbers are favored for weddings because they are difficult to divide. There is also a widespread tradition that money should not be given in fours, or the number four should not appear in the amount, such as in 40, 400 and 444, as the pronunciation of the word "four" resembles that of the word "death" and thus signifies bad luck for many Chinese

I think $4 should be reserve for dead people :bsmilie:

Last edited:
Should be $2-6 and I received many $4 ang pow when I was young

All along been this amt for all my family side.. Nowadays $6 more standard. But of course richer families dnt compare lor..

Growing up 99% is $4 frm relatives.

Last edited:
All along been this amt for all my family side.. Nowadays $6 more standard. But of course richer families dnt compare lor..

Growing up 99% is $4 frm relatives.

Get low = give low...

Usually... as long as family are all ok lor...