How many of you own a vertical grip?

Do you own a vertical grip?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do not underestimate the importance of "just to look pro".

Especially when there're paying clients involved.
I agree. Having the battery grip is essential. Your equipment and outlook can cast quite an impression. Unless of course, you are already using the D3 so there's little need to amplify the 'pro' look.

Been using one since I can remember from my F90x era.

Better handling (the weight adds to stability, IMHO), better look, better balance with tele lens, better battery..

And my MB-D100 has additional features like additional cable link up and mic for recording comments, which I find very useful.

Well, from my experiences, people tend to gravitate towards the bigger camera. This happens to me most often when I carry a 70-200: the big camera, big lens and VG (the sony alpha VG for a700 has a full set of controls, so the VG looks even bigger than most brands...) all in all, it has an effect - and so, I get more eye contact shots... :embrass:

yes, i do have one...
reasons:
1. looks more PRO
2. battery stay longer (even if u use the pop-up flash)
3. more comfort when have to take potrait pic

I actually voted No because mine's stuck with my camera? Ha!

I bought one when I was using 10D some time back and it did gave it a better grip. The vertical release button was a bonus because I seldom use it.

I don't own one for the following reasons :-

1. I am a landscape photographer not a sports shooter.

2. The reason why I bought the D700 was because it was smaller (and lighter) than the D3. Using the grip on a D700 would defeat the purpose of me getting the D700 in the 1st place.

3. I'm not a heavy professional user, just a casual amateur. On overseas tours, one battery charge is more than enough for my 1 day's shots of at most 1000 RAW photos.

just ordered a phottix from ebay for my d90 at $107.

I like the grip because I feel easier to take pictures in portrait orientation. The camera rocks with the grip!

Still too bulky and heavy for me ..

its now a must for me. love it to bits. with a biggie lens like 70200, it balances it well and not forgetting it shines when shooting portraits. me two cents.

Better feel and handling

I do. =P

Reasons are aplenty:
1) Train arm muscles
2) Added weight gives me more stability; I find that hand shaking is less frequent with heavy stuff (i realise that after i'm used to using a dslr i cant seem to hold a pns properly anymore. it shakes because it feels too small, much like holding a credit card to take pics)
3) Easy portrait shots with vert grip
4) More space to grip when shooting landscape (odd, i know)
5) Looks nicer
6) Feels more balanced when using large zoom lenses.

So is that any issue for using the 3rd party VG instead of genuine?

So is that any issue for using the 3rd party VG instead of genuine?

Common issues would be controls, some do not offer proper AF and triggering controls. Battery reliablity may be another. Also watch out for connection reliability.

So thats mean get the genuine vertical grip if affordable right?

just gotten mine from red dot...

not bad for the feel, as for the weight,itz not that heavy can live wif it...

;p

Status
Not open for further replies.