How many of you own a vertical grip?

Do you own a vertical grip?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A must own accessory for sturdy grip for vertical shots.Even though my old school RTSIII
do not have it I fashioned one and attached to it.

I am still deciding whether to get one, mostly for "eliminating" the chicken wing and comfort.

Used to have it on my camera most of the time as I feel PRO with it... No la, kidding. It actually helps in terms of overall weight balance, this is of course if you're using a big lens and I consider my 24-105 to be as compared to 10-22. For events, I use it too so I don't have to switch batteries. Am not bothered by 'chicken wing' effect, it's a good way to get people to move away from you actually... But really, it helps to compose and snap portrait shots easier... D'oh!

BUT... I now prefer NOT to use it. Dunno leh... it's weird la, people start looking at you like you're some terrorist... kidding but mainly, I prefer to have things as compact as it can be. Big Big for what? Relac la... simple outing bring battery grip and your she bang of lenses, for what.

Oh well, when we all took photography as hobby, we knew that soon everything seems to be good to have, money can earn back later. :D Franky, if I have xxxD series body with me with regular lens and am just a casual shooter, I'd not get it. Needa save up times like this.

Last edited:
Okay, nevermind, just shot myself in a mirror with an awkward hand position.

Canon E1 hand-strap + Optech Pro-Loop strap used together:
img37891ax3.jpg

The pro-loop connector is flexible, so I managed to insert the E1 grip at the battery grip area so that the grip strap loops around both the grip metal and the pro-loop strap. However, whenever I used the hand strap (which is everytime I pick the camera up), the pro-loop strap will be forced into the grip, so it kinda splits up after awhile. That's why I have masking tape to hold it in place.

You can see my lightsphere in the reflections. Cool haha..

Last edited:
I don't like the feel of the battery grip. When I do vertical orientation, I turn my cam in the opposite way, but the batt grip doesnt allow me to do that.

Maybe I'm just not used to it.:dunno:

Okay, nevermind, just shot myself in a mirror with an awkward hand position.

Canon E1 hand-strap + Optech Pro-Loop strap used together:
img37891ax3.jpg

The pro-loop connector is flexible, so I managed to insert the E1 grip at the battery grip area so that the grip strap loops around both the grip metal and the pro-loop strap. However, whenever I used the hand strap (which is everytime I pick the camera up), the pro-loop strap will be forced into the grip, so it kinda splits up after awhile. That's why I have masking tape to hold it in place.

You can see my lightsphere in the reflections. Cool haha..

look funny leh.
i rather show chicken wing

I usually cannot exhaust 1 battery for a day. Thus, I don't see my need of having a battery grip. :)

Curious... with the overhead hand grip... won't it add to the weight of the lens and make it more difficult to steady your shot? :think:

How am I supposed to show how the handgrip / strap is mounted if I am covering it with my hands?! I don't shoot like that omgosh.

i guess ultimately, every decision you make, every dollar you spend, all stem from one factor: your needs. if it were to stem from your wants, oh boy are the wants endless. i got my batt grip for a number of factors that i considered as impt to my shooting habits. i do mostly events which require flash, so naturally the camera's batt also dries up a bit faster than usual. sometimes i go for long biking trips to m'sia, so the ability to swap out the normal 2 Li-ion batts for 6 AA batts increases its compatibility. no doubt it adds weight, and sometimes i just wish i cld take it off, but i cant because i've tied my strap in such a way that prevents me from taking it apart easily, oh jolly.

Power and Portraitures! Been using without grip for a long time but once i had the grip, i never knew photography can feel this good! :bsmilie::lovegrin::devil:

Last edited:
just wondering when u buy the batt grip, do they come with 2 x lithium batts inside?
on a canon system currently.

Status
Not open for further replies.