How likely would a new 35mm L be released soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

whizzard

Mar 7, 2009
Bkt Timah
I am seriously thinking of buying a Canon 35 1.4L but am afraid that a new 35L may be released soon after I buy the legendary 35 1.4L. Everywhere no stocks for this lens.

Of course only Canon knows for sure whether a new 35L will be released soon. :dunno:

However, what do you think are the likelihood that a new 35L will be released soon? If not very likely, I wouldn't want to wait.

A newer version will not make the pics more fantasic ...its how you can creatively use this lens.

Anyway, I asked myself the same question you asked early last year ...... but after renting one and seeing the thread below ... I was convinced not to wait ....:bsmilie:
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?p=9457275

Also ... don't want to spend too much ...buy a 2nd hand one .. enjoy it ...replacement comes out ...sell it off ... :)

Cheers!

35 f/1.4 can turn simple things into art...power of the fast and sharp prime.

The 35L rumor has been going for years. It was 2007 when I was discussing the 35L Mk2's appearance, which was supposed to be just around the corner. Which corner, I am not really sure :)

That's the thing with all technology - do you need it/want it now? How comfortable are you with waiting for something, which as you said, nobody except Canon really knows?

I can say that the current 35L delivers some serious magic :) so if you want to tap the power of the lens I would say, why wait. Users don't worry too much about new upgrades coming out, collectors would be more concerned as it devalues the older glass.

i love my 35L.....i was also thinking of the mk2 when i buy but seriously how much improvement? and justify the new costs? Does that little bit of techniccal improvement help us? even with my powerful L lens..i am still underutilising them i think...at the end tools are good but we need to get better...and that diff btw mk2 and mk1 is unlikely to be significant to us...

Then again if price gap not too big...i maybe tempted...after all it is still cheaper than a leica lens...

A newer version will not make the pics more fantasic ...its how you can creatively use this lens.

Anyway, I asked myself the same question you asked early last year ...... but after renting one and seeing the thread below ... I was convinced not to wait ....:bsmilie:
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?p=9457275

Also ... don't want to spend too much ...buy a 2nd hand one .. enjoy it ...replacement comes out ...sell it off ... :)

Cheers!
Why sell it off even if Canon launches a new version of this lens? The quality of this superb lens will not be affected whatsoever even if Canon launch a new version of it, and your pictures will still be as good! So why this obsession with having the latest model at all times?

I say buy the lens, start using it and enjoy it. If you follow the attitude of "the latest and presumably the greatest" to the extreme you will always be waiting for something and never be buying anything.

Honestly there should just be a sticky consolidated thread for these kind of threads with similar titles (i.e How likely would xxx lens or yyy body be releasing soon?") ...way too many of them appearing lately. :sticktong

Take a look at the discussion after 70-200 f/2.8 IS II is announced. Most people that own the Mark I do not think it is worth the money nor trouble to "upgrade" to Mark II.

The only thing Canon can improve on 35L are:
[1] change to new coating on the lens
[2] add weather sealing to this lens

As for the IQ, I am not sure if they can improve it further. Even if they can, it won't be that much difference nor worth the upgrade.

I have 3 L primes that are all Non-weather seal but I am not complaining. They are all great prime lenses. I am loving every minutes of using them.

The only thing Canon can improve on 35L are:
[1] change to new coating on the lens
[2] add weather sealing to this lens

As for the IQ, I am not sure if they can improve it further. Even if they can, it won't be that much difference nor worth the upgrade.

I have 3 L primes that are all Non-weather seal but I am not complaining. They are all great prime lenses. I am loving every minutes of using them.

I am very happy with my 35L and would not bother to upgrade .... unless Canon makes it a 35 f1.2.

Ask yourself this question, what is lacking in the 35L that Canon had to revise it?
Adding the new coating, weather sealing, larger element to reduce vignetting and increase the price? I don't think Canon marketing department will do that unless they are going for a f1.2 version.

There are many examples of newer versions of a lens not being as good as the previous. By all accounts, the current 35L is hard to beat.

Why not just buy it now. From the replies on this thread, there will be eager second buyers if you are want to sell when Mk II comes out.

The longer you wait to get it, the more time you wasted not using it.

I am seriously thinking of buying a Canon 35 1.4L but am afraid that a new 35L may be released soon after I buy the legendary 35 1.4L. Everywhere no stocks for this lens.

Of course only Canon knows for sure whether a new 35L will be released soon. :dunno:

However, what do you think are the likelihood that a new 35L will be released soon? If not very likely, I wouldn't want to wait.
It is normal for stores not having stock on this lens. This is not a popular lens because of its price tag. This lens' serial no. has just got 5 digits so you know Canon don't make that many of it.

If you are afraid of the drop in value should 35L II comes out, then by all means wait for that announcement. Like others have said, 35L II has been rumored to come out since 2 years ago and the people who waited are still holding their breath...

I agree with most of the comments here but also know where you are coming from in asking this question (we all ask ourselves if such a big expenditure is well timed)

In this case, what I would say is that the 35L is already a fantastic lens without much that NEEDS to be upgraded (eg if it had a slow AF or unpredictable IQ etc) so you won't be losing out much in buying one now even if a MkII comes out. And you never know, the newer lens is not always better than the original.

the 50mm f/1.2 L that replaced the 50mm f/1.0
the 400 f/2.8 L mk ii that replaced the 400 f/2.8 L
the 50mm f/1.8 mk ii used the same elements as the mk i, but plastic mounts
the 28-80 mk ii was crap and canon quickly released the 28-80 mk iii

the 50mm f/1.2 L that replaced the 50mm f/1.0
the 400 f/2.8 L mk ii that replaced the 400 f/2.8 L
the 50mm f/1.8 mk ii used the same elements as the mk i, but plastic mounts
the 28-80 mk ii was crap and canon quickly released the 28-80 mk iii
i think he's asking for the newer lens that is not better than its predecessor.

that's what i am saying - these lenses that were 'replacements' were not as good as their predecessors. (^_^)
the 50 f/1.2L is nowhere near as nice as the f/1.0 L was, etc.

that's what i am saying - these lenses that were 'replacements' were not as good as their predecessors. (^_^)
the 50 f/1.2L is nowhere near as nice as the f/1.0 L was, etc.

Hmmm i read from forum people whom own this lens said the lens is not usable until stop down to f2, it is far too soft. That is why it is legendary but it did not made an impact in IQ.

Anyway I tested 4 copies of 35L and found out at f1.4 is abit soft. It it normal? 24-70L is much sharper.
now wanted to take back my words for saying 35L is not lacking.

my 24-70 is wickedly sharp wide open at about 55-60mm, but just sharp at other focal lengths. the downside is it starts to mildly pin cushion at that focal length. while the 35 f/1.4 is possibly not quite as sharp as some primes, micro-adjusting it with a focus scale on a 45 degree angle (with tripod) can make a huge difference. the tiniest bit of front or back focus will make a huge difference - especially if the distance to subject is pretty low.

in any event, if they did release a 35 f/1.4 mk2, i'm reasonably sure it would be a welcome improvement - if only just barely. but i personally don't think it is a big priority for them at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.