how likely it will rain at NDP AD

During training yes cat 1 will cease all outdoor training. But in actual warfare the fighting have to go on. So NDP is the actual thing so I guess they will not cease. At most is deploy more signaller vehicle ard n ground them. Let the high antenna vehicles attract the lightnings maybe ? Or it's a stupid ( n fatal ) idea ?

During training yes cat 1 will cease all outdoor training. But in actual warfare the fighting have to go on. So NDP is the actual thing so I guess they will not cease. At most is deploy more signaller vehicle ard n ground them. Let the high antenna vehicles attract the lightnings maybe ? Or it's a stupid ( n fatal ) idea ?

but NDP is not a actual war!!! so, if touch wood, lightning strike and causes death and serious injury to army & civilians during the NDP with army already notified its cat 1, who will be responsible?

this cat. system of lightning condition was implemented years back due to frequent death & injury by lightning. this safety measure was put into place for good reasons. u mean because of money and time invested in the NDP, we should look the other way? may i remind u that lightning did strike the flyer last week end. last year lightning strike the merlion's head. both location very near to the padang.

look at the metal structure erected at the padang, they are taller than the surrounding trees.

let me share a real life example here :

during my NS days, my man performing guard duty was standing in the sentry post. lighting strike the roof and luckily he was blown out of the post. the roof has a big hole.

the post is as u can imagine, low, with guard house in less than 20m away to the front and 4 story bunk to its back also about 20m.

it is near the fence and beside it was lamp post.

imagine the odd.

Last edited:
think u guys missing my point. i am saying if it rains, with lightning, base on training safety regulation of the SAF, if its cat 1 & 2 or something like that, all outdoor training must stop.

i am not saying NDP has to be cancel due to rain, but if it is as bad as today in bukit batok & chua choo kang side with lightning is very frequent, than how? it didnt rain heavily today though.

Back then in the famous 1968 NDP @ Padang, it really rained heavily and even the GOH was totally drenched, while PM Lee Kuan Yew(at then) inspected them under an umbrella.

Current technologies, if it rains, they will fire anti-rain rockets to disperse the clouds, as heard from a friend doing logistics inside. It does not stop 100% rain, but it will help prevent a heavy downpour, so u might experience a drizzle/light rain at the most, at the parade ground.
Therefore, the chance of lightning at the parade itself is also minimal or not possible. Anyway there should be lightning rods installed on the floodlights as well..

Last edited:
Back then in the famous 1968 NDP @ Padang, it really rained heavily and even the GOH was totally drenched, while PM Lee Kuan Yew(at then) inspected them under an umbrella.

back than, there wasnt TSR (training safety regulation) implemented for lightning condition. now that there is, in the event of unfortunate does happen, who will answer? our PM?

also, pls read post #22

Last edited:
back than, there wasnt TSR (training safety regulation) implemented for lightning condition. now that there is, in the event of unfortunate does happen, who will answer? our PM?

With the new tsr, there is new ways to make sure it works as well. The 2nd part of my post answers ur queries :)

With the new tsr, there is new ways to make sure it works as well. The 2nd part of my post answers ur queries :)

may be they should tell the public such is what they will do, let public decides to stay or go. same for the performance.

question, if i am involve in the performance, if i feel my hair standing like there is static, i can choose not to perform right? for uniform, LL lor, but what about school uniform group (not sure if they are involve as the parade contigent)? as parent, will you be telling your kids to go ahead with the parade even though he / she feels the static?

btw, rain and lightning doesnt really die die must go hand in hand one.

Last edited:
may be they should tell the public such is what they will do, let public decides to stay or go. same for the performance.

question, if i am involve in the performance, if i feel my hair standing like there is static, i can choose not to perform right? for uniform, LL lor, but what about school uniform group (not sure if they are involve as the parade contigent)?

They don't actually need to, because they will have been there to ensure that the rain clouds do not gather around the area way before the parade itself begins.

It will be more difficult and too late to disperse the clouds once they gather near the ground itself. So, it will be done way earlier, even before the rain clouds can reach the grounds itself.

Current technologies, if it rains, they will fire anti-rain rockets to disperse the clouds, as heard from a friend doing logistics inside. It does not stop 100% rain, but it will help prevent a heavy downpour, so u might experience a drizzle/light rain at the most, at the parade ground.
Therefore, the chance of lightning at the parade itself is also minimal or not possible. Anyway there should be lightning rods installed on the floodlights as well..

Are we going to use anti rain cloud rockets to shoot the cloud that day? Do we have those rockets? Do we really going to be like what china do at the Olympic time? By the way if u know about this, pls share. I would really like to see rocket explode in the sky esp above city area. Confirm will make a good once in a life photo. Lol

Are we going to use anti rain cloud rockets to shoot the cloud that day? Do we have those rockets? Do we really going to be like what china do at the Olympic time? By the way if u know about this, pls share. I would really like to see rocket explode in the sky esp above city area. Confirm will make a good once in a life photo. Lol

I would believe in creating more rains the day before the NDP until the sky is clear. :)

Jiat liat. I will be at NDP this weekend.
Time for me to get a raincoat for my cameras. :sweat:

:bsmilie:Has anyone been in NDP before? If it rains there's a wet weather program...

Don't know if you guys ever notice that it will usually rained for a couple of days before NDP AD in the past. Then the AD will be bright and sunny, with an exception of one year in which it rained in the morning. The clouds were actually seeded few weeks before the AD to "encourage" it to rain.

Don't know if you guys ever notice that it will usually rained for a couple of days before NDP AD in the past. Then the AD will be bright and sunny, with an exception of one year in which it rained in the morning. The clouds were actually seeded few weeks before the AD to "encourage" it to rain.

I noticed that when shooting the NDP on the year when it rains. It seems that it is not control accurately.

Pls refer to my first post ..... Let pray for good weather ... SG gov have prap it lao, the joss sticks have be place and now, the whole Singaporean pls rise and pray hard .. woohooo ....

I would believe in creating more rains the day before the NDP until the sky is clear. :)

Jiat liat. I will be at NDP this weekend.
Time for me to get a raincoat for my cameras. :sweat:

you can buy optech rain coat for cam :p

Pls refer to my first post ..... Let pray for good weather ... SG gov have prap it lao, the joss sticks have be place and now, the whole Singaporean pls rise and pray hard .. woohooo ....

That 3 joss sticks are not useful without offerings. The offerings still making like the lotus lamp although the fruits are ready. :bsmilie:

ha ha ha, of all the years and you have to choose that year :p

Yeah, I do believe it is by agaration on how much to seed. Look at China, the way they seed, it caused winter in some months that are not winter (can't remember which month) ...

I noticed that when shooting the NDP on the year when it rains. It seems that it is not control accurately.