How do they make roasted chicken for chicken rice stall?

Lunch coming soon.

Anyone for chicken lice? :devil:

roasted chickens. u take fire and u happy roast them. LOL

why so complicated? :)

I am a bit puzzled, the process of pumping air between the skin n flesh is usually for roast duck. This is one of the process of cooking peking roast duck, which also includes dipping it in a malt-sugar solution and drying for 24hrs.

Chicken rice store usually sell 2 type bai (white) or sao (roast) chicken. If i am not wrong, it is not true roast chicken. it is actually the bai chicken, hang to dry and cool, then deep fried in oil till it is nice and brown.

from what I know, there is no process of blowing air into the chicken. Bai chicken is actually boiled in hot water with spring onion and ginger and then dipped into ice cold water to create the soft texture.

Pls correct me if I am wrong.

Why do we worry how food is cooked when we crave for best local food everywhere?

The first thing is kitchen hygiene and cleanliness. How often do we even get a chance to peek into their dirtiest work stations?

Things like dim sum, raw veg, hand wrapped items, conveyer belt sushi and even a slice of cucumber as decoration on the platter can have high germ count.

You dont want to know what is added to slices of sushi on the belt so ad to fend itself from germs. Even a fly wont rest on it as its probably coated with anti aging dips. Or how about so called fresh seafood at modern supermarket where you wont see houseflies on dead meat? Do you know why? i know but i am unable to tell you.

I wont go on further. Just enjoy what you have on the table and remember to give thanks for the food. We guard ourselves with a strong stomach, strong enough to kill most germs on semi cooked food. Almost everything we eat have chemicals - whether in its raw state and at the farm level. If we are more careful on taking care of ourselves, we should lead a healthy life happily ever after.

There is no silver spoon to test for toxins anymore. Because almost everything we eat have toxins and germs.

back to the topic, chicken rice chicken is best served when the meat is 70% cooked. Well, we grew up with such food didnt we? So why worry?

Sigh.

Miss the good old days of road-side hawkers and more 'au naturel' replete with all the friendly bacteria and foreign bits. It was more the viruses that caused problems. Who can even remember traditional home-made laksa with ground up worms in it?

Now it's tons and tons of chemicals and additives. I'm not sure which is worse actually.

while you are there, take a look under your table at the kopitiam/hawker centre

you will never want to eat again

sometimes ignorance is bliss

And now... innocence lost
t30709094.gif

No more hawker food for me for a while (which probably means until the end of the week), at least not those in the open air type. Lost my appetite already.

Sigh.

Miss the good old days of road-side hawkers and more 'au naturel' replete with all the friendly bacteria and foreign bits. It was more the viruses that caused problems. Who can even remember traditional home-made laksa with ground up worms in it?

Now it's tons and tons of chemicals and additives. I'm not sure which is worse actually.

worms? :sweat: will u chew up that half worm when you see the half in the apple kernel?

And now... innocence lost
t30709094.gif

No more hawker food for me for a while (which probably means until the end of the week), at least not those in the open air type. Lost my appetite already.

don't blame me, can? ;)

I am a bit puzzled, the process of pumping air between the skin n flesh is usually for roast duck. This is one of the process of cooking peking roast duck, which also includes dipping it in a malt-sugar solution and drying for 24hrs.

Chicken rice store usually sell 2 type bai (white) or sao (roast) chicken. If i am not wrong, it is not true roast chicken. it is actually the bai chicken, hang to dry and cool, then deep fried in oil till it is nice and brown.

from what I know, there is no process of blowing air into the chicken. Bai chicken is actually boiled in hot water with spring onion and ginger and then dipped into ice cold water to create the soft texture.

easier said than done.. :think:

worms? :sweat: will u chew up that half worm when you see the half in the apple kernel?

IIRC they were dried earthworms, ground up and added a lot of 'OOMPH' to the texture and consistency of the gravy. So it's cooked lah. Not many could afford a large amount of haebee in those days. I'm not sure specifically what it did to the taste though.

Actually, many natural ingredients used in local fare are really interesting, from a culinary-cultural perspective. I am certainly no expert in this, and I am sure some of the older members with die-hard and hard-core traditional grandmothers who ruled their coops and kitchens with an iron fist would be able to share a lot more.

I would be seriously tempted to take worms and other natural ingredients over the chemical-dump that many dishes are today, prepared the olden way of course! But to be cynically realistic, even the worms and plants these days are all bombarded with chemicals. Haiz!

no, that's how they chop the chicken up.

what they don't tell you , the chopping they do is for show.

when no one is looking, the chopper just places a bicycle pump into the beak of the bird, and then pumps it until it explodes nicely into portions that he can slap onto the chicken rice. automatic deboning too.
Does the chicken go "Boomz!" when it explodes?

Anyway, ignorance is bliss. If it doesn't kill me and it tastes awesome, just eat it and enjoy it. Why think so much?

Last edited:
I would be seriously tempted to take worms and other natural ingredients over the chemical-dump that many dishes are today, prepared the olden way of course! But to be cynically realistic, even the worms and plants these days are all bombarded with chemicals. Haiz!

My ex-colleague's family used to run a hawker stall in Bukit Mertajam (Penang: coincidentally selling chicken rice) and he confirmed to me what I thought was just some rumor: because fried onions (those they used for garnishing) are expensive, sometimes unscrupulous hawkers fry up bits of rafia string and use that instead. :sweat:

Anyway I worked in a restaurant kitchen before (waiting for exam results) and believe me: you don't want to know what goes on in the back.

Last edited:

Bai chicken is steamed not boiled. If boil become chicken soup liao. And only in SG do they dip in ice cold water, other places i.e. Malaysia don't do that: which explains why SG chicken rice tastes a bit weird for me.

And I've never met in MY ppl selling fake sao chicken (fried bai chicken). Maybe only in SG.

My ex-colleague's family used to run a hawker stall in Bukit Mertajam (Penang: coincidentally selling chicken rice) and he confirmed to me what I thought was just some rumor: because fried onions (those they used for garnishing) are expensive, sometimes unscrupulous hawkers fry up bits of rafia string and use that instead. :sweat:

Anyway I worked in a restaurant kitchen before (waiting for exam results) and believe me: you don't want to know what goes on in the back.

what is rafio string? this? by right people can see it thru right? u mean the dried onion bits in noodle stalls can be made of plastics? :angry:
Rafia_String.jpg

i am inclined to think that this is a myth.

Just like the goreng pisang using melted 5L plastic bottles in oil to make it crunchy.

If we get bothered by so much fear, there is little food left for us to eat. Take a stroll along supermarket. What do you think is safest to eat?

i don't believe in supermarkets.

when i am free i bring out my sling and a few stones and go hunting for pigeons and squirrels. au naturele for sure, no chemicals. :heart: