How crappy is YOUR computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I still have P3 with 128Mb ram and a 6Gb HDD in my room. XD
Amazingly, it's still working with all the dust under the casing.

I am running Windows XP on a 6 years old 850 MHz Pentium-III notebook with 512 MB RAM and 40 GB harddisk. No wireless built-in, so bought a wireless PC card a few years ago.

It's on the slow side, but it is still acceptable. The key is to turn off all visual effects, unnecessary Windows services and use old versions of the softwares -- they are smaller and faster! I'm using ACDSee 5, Acrobat Reader 6, Nero 6, IE 6, PowerDVD 6, Media Player 6 (Classic), MS Office 2003, PhotoShop 8 and Opera 9, for example. (Office and PS are newer versions cos I want to use the same version as my other PCs; easier to manage.)

When the notebook was 3 years old, I thought it was time to change it -- until I calculated it would have cost me $100/month if I did so! Now that it's 6 years old, it's just $50/month! :bsmilie: But another reason is that I haven't found any notebook that I like.

Still using paper and pencil .... and a rotary dial phone.

Ha Ha,

Who needs technology !

The wood fire oven is much better than a microwave ...at least it dosn't go beep beep beep when the food is done.

Whoops.........

Never mind that my house burnt down from over cooked chicken
and the phone company dis-connected my phone because it was not digital.

I don't care... I am still not going to conform to the all the latest technology.....

This mesage was sent to you from an AMD 64 duo with 4GB ram and 50" LCD.
No trees were harmed or utilised at any time during this statement.

Well, isn't changing the processor, RAM and HDD kinda like buying a whole new computer?

Not really. It's a lot cheaper to upgrade along the way... rather than buying the fastest or biggest that's available at the time. I upgrade what I need when the price is right. Well, if you think that it's like buying a whole new computer... then maybe it's like getting a whole new computer at a fraction of the price? ;) But I try not to kid myself.

It's also not about chasing the the best. It's about doing what I need to do at the lowest price possible at any given point.

Makes me want to Bish-'ta' only. It's a crappy bloatware! My wife upgraded to a Turion x2 that comes preloaded with Vista and it's slower than my Turion x1!! CMI! Feel like downgrading the OS for better speed. And I've already turned off all the fanciful features for her.. :(

You can always upgrade the RAM. :devil:

Wah lau.

I just discovered my workplace (some civil service establishment) is condemning a whole lot of PCs. And they are all better than what I'm using ley!

If they sell to karung guni man, each unit would be sold at maybe $100++? But if staff wants to buy, it's about $300-500 (Pentium4 Dual-core). At $500, then not worth it already. Still it amazes me how much they spend on powderful desktop workstations that are used for little more than MS Office and IE, and then 2 years later, they practically throw it all away en masse.

*sigh*

Wah lau.

I just discovered my workplace (some civil service establishment) is condemning a whole lot of PCs. And they are all better than what I'm using ley!

If they sell to karung guni man, each unit would be sold at maybe $100++? But if staff wants to buy, it's about $300-500 (Pentium4 Dual-core). At $500, then not worth it already. Still it amazes me how much they spend on powderful desktop workstations that are used for little more than MS Office and IE, and then 2 years later, they practically throw it all away en masse.

*sigh*

Pentium 4 leh ...2 yrs ago where got Dual Core heheheh...unless they buy it as early adopters heheh...wah if so..did not think our govt is that adventurous

Still using an AMD 1600+, Windoze 2000, 40GB Hardisk, and 512 RAM.

Funny thing is...this comp of mine is kinda stable and healthy.
From 2002 to now....almost 5 yrs!!!!

No major hardware problems except windoze reg. corruption.

But will get a MAC sooooooon....when leopard is out.

:lovegrin: :sweatsm: :lovegrin:

using a Core 2 Extreme QX6700 with 2GB ram + 2x NVIDIA 8800GTX Ultra + 4x 500GB hard drives + single 30" Dell WFP3007 + on Windows Vista Ultimate :sticktong

Status
Not open for further replies.