Not open for further replies.
Is XP stil on sale??? :bsmilie:

Why not ? :confused:

I still using Win2K on this PC. Sighz... AMD somemore. No $$ buy Pendium
:cool:

Same here mah.
I oso got an ancient P3 450 for dedicated for surfing artistic website. Hehe
icon11.gif

any1 knows when the Core Quad will be in the mainstream PCs?

Core Quad has had a few rounds of price reductions by Intel n is already in the niche market for the past year. AMD too launched their Core Quad last mth.

maybe can hold on to your horse for another few mths. Core Quad may be able to cope better with vista. but then again we cant b waiting n waiting forever. next will b core quad and DDR3....the story continues and tech advances...

Maybe 5 years later? Hardware advancement nowadays have surpassed software's need for amazing hardware.

My one is also kind of old.Always switch between a few P4.Currently(Home entertainment but surf web one borrow to people) so home entertainment serve as browsing and downloading comp,HP Slim P4 2.8,WD 320GB + a 160GB,LD DVD-RW,512MB Ram and Belkin Router + Zyxel ADSL modem.

i just bought a DELL laptop for $1190. Selected Win XP as operating system. :lovegrin:

quite crappy. all the photos inside very lousy. i blame the computer for that.

synaspeman: i totally have the same feelings!!! last time, really enjoy reformating my com every once in a while. now,....... it has been 2 years since i last formatted.:bsmilie: too lazy, and no time.

still............................ if u really wanna upgrade ur comp, get the windows xp instead................. dun ever get their vista which will make everyone regret and jump down the flats..

i still think u should upgrade ur comp... 1.8 celery is a bit...........................................................

I running Vista, so far so good, nothing major happened.

go sls and buy
less than 1k can get u a decent pc
about the os dont bother.
now can download it all over the place.
then source for original cd key .tada! works like a charm

My com also quite crappy. But with me as owner, not crappy at all. ;p

P4 2.4Ghz
512MB RAM
120GB Hard disk

With care and love given to this PC, it runs even faster than my mum's AMD Turion X2 Laptop. Amazingly. LOL. Still can run photoshop, though I get so frustrated sometimes that I wanna pull my hair out.

Pee Cees :bsmilie:

Pee Cees :bsmilie:

The only reason why these computers are still relevant is because they are PCs.

PCs have a good upgrade path, which makes them less likely to become obsolete.

My PC is over 5 years old. When I bought it, it had an Athlon XP1800+ and 256M of RAM. Now, the same PC is an Athlon XP2400+ with 1Gb of RAM. You can't do the same with a Mac... So, if I had a Mac, I would have been forced to buy a new one. Anyway, if I had a Mac 5 years ago, it probably means that I was rich. ;p Maybe that's why you don't see many people boasting about their old iMacs...

I have run my HDD with RAID0, so that speeds things up quite a bit. I run Macromedia stuff and Photoshop on it. Not blazing, but quite adequate.

The only reason why these computers are still relevant is because they are PCs.

PCs have a good upgrade path, which makes them less likely to become obsolete.

My PC is over 5 years old. When I bought it, it had an Athlon XP1800+ and 256M of RAM. Now, the same PC is an Athlon XP2400+ with 1Gb of RAM. You can't do the same with a Mac... So, if I had a Mac, I would have been forced to buy a new one. Anyway, if I had a Mac 5 years ago, it probably means that I was rich. ;p Maybe that's why you don't see many people boasting about their old iMacs...

I have run my HDD with RAID0, so that speeds things up quite a bit. I run Macromedia stuff and Photoshop on it. Not blazing, but quite adequate.

Well, isn't changing the processor, RAM and HDD kinda like buying a whole new computer?

I don't think that computer ever gotten completely obsolete, it is just a word we invent ourselves to constantly keep up with the latest and the fastest.

My 6 year old iBook G3 is still running perfectly fast, using softwares made for it, and even having its OS updated to the most current. I use Photoshop 7 on it, and it is my internet surfing station at home too. My dad is using my older Powermac 8600 for his word processing and internet (dial-up), and that too, is still in good working condition after 10 years.

So you see, we don't really need to keep upgrading for the sake of running the latest. We buy a computer to suit our needs, and not be enslaved by it.

That said, I've bought myself an Intel Mac, a Macbook Pro for myself and an iMac for my son, simply because of the need to run Windows at work (me) and for his school's e-learning.

And I can tell you, current Macs made in China are definitely more crappy than all its predecessors. The MBP feels more filmsy than my wife's PB G4 and my iBook G3, and I'm gonna send my 6 months old iMac in to replace its motherboard the second time in a month!:angry: This is the first time in my nearly 20 years of Mac usage that a computer has broken down!

Thus, to me, an old computer is not crappy at all. It only becomes crappy when you try to run the latest softwares on their old body, which may not be a necessity.

Coming from a Mac culture of yesteryears when they were exhorbitantly priced, I've learnt to place my needs before my wants, and to squeeze every single juice out of the computer before I quit on them.

i am still running Win98SE on my dekstop. :bsmilie::bsmilie:

go sls and buy

wah lao...teach people bad things...

go sls and buy

the reason why DIY PC is cheaper than Mac is because people use "friendly" software - no need to buy OS, Office :nono:

the reason why DIY PC is cheaper than Mac is because people use "friendly" software - no need to buy OS, Office :nono:

Haha, yeah, they want the latest, the fastest, and even the cheapest!;p

Oh!!! I thought when Bista comes out... XP has reached end of life.

Makes me want to Bish-'ta' only. It's a crappy bloatware! My wife upgraded to a Turion x2 that comes preloaded with Vista and it's slower than my Turion x1!! CMI! Feel like downgrading the OS for better speed. And I've already turned off all the fanciful features for her.. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.