Home studio setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeanie

May 19, 2005
am thinking of setting up a home studio to try portraiture for fun.
would like to know

1)cost-how much roughly for 3 studio lights, backdrop?

2)is that all that's required for studio shoot?i understand there are accesories like soft box and umbrellas, are they a must?

3)how much space would i need?assuming i want to shoot full body portraiture.my room is long, about 15 meters, but only about 6-7 meters wide.

4)what are some reliable brands for studio lights?

5)any other advices.

appreciate your time for replying.:)

15mx7m quite big lehs thas like 105m sq. which is almost the same flor area as my entire HDB flat.

You can rely on natural light if you have a large window in your room otehr wise you will need some way to diffuse the light form your strobes. Its all up to your creative style though. Some photogs only use 1 light and 1 reflector while otehrs use up to 5 lights with gobo's snoots, honeycomb's.. etc. I suggest you borrw books on studio lighiting and setups?

2k enuff?:dunno: :confused: really?tot one elinchrome light easily a few k liao?or i'm misinformed again?:bsmilie:

how can 15 x 7 =entire HDB area?u stay one room meh?:dunno:
of course, my room is not exactly rectangular without any furniture or nothing.I WISH TOO!:bsmilie:
i did readup on studio.didnt go into it cos i heard very ex for studio lights but now that i'm working and have spare cash, so i tot it's a good time.

are u intending to go into full time pro?

2k enuff?:dunno: :confused: really?tot one elinchrome light easily a few k liao?or i'm misinformed again?:bsmilie:

of course, my room is not exactly rectangular without any furniture or nothing.I WISH TOO!:bsmilie:
i did readup on studio.didnt go into it cos i heard very ex for studio lights but now that i'm working and have spare cash, so i tot it's a good time.

NO lah my flat 115m sq only. You can go for those cheaper china made strobes if you dont plan on going that serious. I used some cheapo Delicacy ones before and they were fine for a small impromptu shoot.

2k where got enuff. unless u are buying those china brands.
newbie here, pardon me if i'm wrong.
i think u also need to factor in how many watts u want to get. a 300W light and a 1000W light has alot of difference in pricing.
backdros, what kind too.
light modifiers. yes.. u might want to get those as it is very very useful. and again, not cheap for such items. if u buy kit set like a bowens esprit gemini kit, it'll be around $2.5k already. 2 lights, 1 umbrella and 1 softbox.
i think around 4-6k will be a good budget if u are considering bowens/elinchrome.
reliability? so far my bowens haven't fail me yet.

15 x 7 as you mentioned is feet and not metres rite? That makes a lot of diff u know.

For your lighting budget, once u decide on what kind of lights u want, try talking to Chris @ Cathay photo, or Mr Ho @ Ruby Photo. They are old timers who will be delighted to advise you on the things u need.

Btw, if u are onto the branded stuff, be prepared to spend anywhere from 5 - 10K. Then again, depends on your requirements.

are u intending to go into full time pro?

no, photography is only my hobby.nothing more, nothing less.

snowspeeder,
15 x 7 meters, not feet.

i'm not into branded stuffs i.e LV, prada.:bsmilie:
but i wouldnt want to buy cheena stuff too(no offense).
i dont mind paying slightly more for a better one.

btw, what's the diff between 300watts and 1000 watts other than upping power bills in the end of month?:bsmilie:
does one really need a 1kwatt light?can we compensate with higher ISO or bigger aperture?

only branded stuff for her

others are so unglam one

where the heaven have u been?
dun slap me with generalisation hor.HUMPF:angry: :devil:

btw your avartar, your head kena chop chilli chop chop

what to do?guys like u only reply to pretty gals so i cant show my face mah.else my thread no one read liao.:bsmilie:

eh, the cp one elinchrome DOESNT include light stands!

btw, i want one set that has resale value hor.
if i buy cheena stuff, next time i post for sale, people offer me $100 for whole set then how?:dunno:

for experience home studioers, is keeping and setting up a big issue?i dun wanna leave the studio setup permanent.
just maybe weekends on and off play play only.

and i would prefer wireless compatible with my d200.i hate cables.please advise ya.TQAM

if you don't mind 2nd hand, i know of one for sale (i will check)

you will also need to think of the BG, holders, paper, autopole ... ....

for wireless, you will have to BBB again wireless trigger and light meter

if you don't mind 2nd hand, i know of one for sale (i will check)

you will also need to think of the BG, holders, paper, autopole ... ....

for wireless, you will have to BBB again wireless trigger and light meter

what's BG, holders, paper, autopole?

i have backdrop stands but a bit cmi type.friend gave to me.

i also have minolta autometer4.enough?

wireless trigger for d200 ex?

Status
Not open for further replies.