Home studio setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
sorry hor, i don't like to shoot XMM pictures
for your tfcd I said ok, but you cheapskate dun want to bring me there ;)

what's XMM?dun hit me with humsup jargons hor!:bsmilie:

joho,make it simple for me.

WHAT do i need to start firing away.
2 strobes
2 light stands
backdrop
wireless trigger
lightmeter
backdrop stand
softbox(i think a must for me)
barndoors

anything else?
i saw the constant tungsten light.is that useful?

btw, does all this generate alot of heat?i dont want whole room hothot ah!though got a/c lah!:sweatsm:

CLS get VERY hot and in most cases strobes will do. If you dont ocntinuously flash for like 2 hours non-stop i doubt the heat generated from the storbes is that significant. I've usied some cheap strobes for 5 hours straight (loooong day) with no heat issues.

elinchrome - 2 x 1000w & 2 x 600w
pocket wizard for remote trigger of strobes

1000w give you more power to adjust the distance of the light to subject.

yes most of the time me use ceiling to kick in some light hence the height and the colour of the ceiling does matter.

preferably your room should be in white

CLS get VERY hot and in most cases strobes will do. If you dont ocntinuously flash for like 2 hours non-stop i doubt the heat generated from the storbes is that significant. I've usied some cheap strobes for 5 hours straight (loooong day) with no heat issues.

these flashes hor, the bulb blows easily or not?i hate to realise each bulb cost a few hundreds of $.doh:what:

2 strobes
2 light stands
backdrop
wireless trigger
lightmeter
backdrop stand
barndoors

anything else?

btw, does all this generate alot of heat?i dont want whole room hothot ah!though got a/c lah!:sweatsm:

reflectors

elinchrome - 2 x 1000w & 2 x 600w
pocket wizard for remote trigger of strobes

1000w give you more power to adjust the distance of the light to subject.

yes most of the time me use ceiling to kick in some light hence the height and the colour of the ceiling does matter.

preferably your room should be in white

your suggestion sounds ex!4 strobes ah?even if i have i also dunno how to use them:dunno:

i only know 2 light system.1 main, 1 fill.me not there yet.as for backdrop i reckon can use my sb26 as wireless slave.

what's a pocket wizard?i know it's for remote trigger but is it the brand or u put the thing in your pocket?

high ceiling is a must ah?sigh...i'm beginning to feel my hopes for home studio dashed.
i'm not sure how high my ceiling is but i reckon it's about 3-4meters high only.

these flashes hor, the bulb blows easily or not?i hate to realise each bulb cost a few hundreds of $.doh:what:

unless badly abused or heavily used should last quite long lah. the fist to blow might be the modelling bulb as its on all the time.(the low powered one that lets you 'preview' the effect) That's much cheaper than the flash bulb...

reflectors

how to use it?assuming i got 2 lights, 1 left and 1 right.where to put reflector?
must get someone to hold to reflect the light?

2 strobes
2 light stands
backdrop
wireless trigger
lightmeter
backdrop stand
barndoors

anything else?

sounds good to me.

if you need continuous lighting, try using the modelling lamps on the strobes first.

heat from strobes is negligible. from continuous lights is ENORMOUS.

unless badly abused or heavily used should last quite long lah. the fist to blow might be the modelling bulb as its on all the time.(the low powered one that lets you 'preview' the effect) That's much cheaper than the flash bulb...

ya, another thing.do these studio strobes modelling light uses those cheap cheap tungsten lightbulb tat can be found in NTUC or shop and save?or must buy back their same brand?

sounds good to me.

if you need continuous lighting, try using the modelling lamps on the strobes first.

just called cathay.their elinchrome 2 to go with light stands they charge me $2.1k.
:dunno:
sometimes hor..i wonder is it becos i gal and sound like newbie that's why i'm charged these prices.:bsmilie: i'm sure you guys go buy sure get better prices.

btw guys, WHAT lenses is typical for studio portraits?
50mm 1.4 can?

or 105dc?

me using d200, so got 1.5 crop.
105 dc will be 160mm.that's too far away right?:dunno:

(assuming i get the lens from ebay)

just called cathay.their elinchrome 2 to go with light stands they charge me $2.1k.
:dunno:
sometimes hor..i wonder is it becos i gal and sound like newbie that's why i'm charged these prices.:bsmilie: i'm sure you guys go buy sure get better prices.

no lar.. cathay is not like that... but then again they know my face..

anyway that quote is correct, same price that i got quoted. but i chose to use bowens instead. my set up is a mix of bowens and jinbei, as they both have the same mount. as in, jinbei uses bowens mount.

not sure if you know, different brand got different mounts to fit light modifiers, just like canon and nikon mount are different like that.

your suggestion sounds ex!4 strobes ah?even if i have i also dunno how to use them:dunno:

i only know 2 light system.1 main, 1 fill.me not there yet.as for backdrop i reckon can use my sb26 as wireless slave.

what's a pocket wizard?i know it's for remote trigger but is it the brand or u put the thing in your pocket?

high ceiling is a must ah?sigh...i'm beginning to feel my hopes for home studio dashed.
i'm not sure how high my ceiling is but i reckon it's about 3-4meters high only.

loan you my laser measuring device.

me hdb ceiling also can liao.

pocket wizard is one of the most stable and trustworthy remote trigger costing around - $650.

or you can try My Slave-60 from s.korea - $280

btw guys, WHAT lenses is typical for studio portraits?
50mm 1.4 can?

or 105dc?

me using d200, so got 1.5 crop.
105 dc will be 160mm.that's too far away right?:dunno:

(assuming i get the lens from ebay)

u wouldn't believe this, but if i'm shooting at f/8 all the way (or around there) my most preferred lens for the studio is the afs18-70dx! :thumbsup:

light and great zoom range!

but my 17-55 is "permanently" mounted on one of my d200 so usually i dun bother just grab that one. but it can be a bit short for close ups.

how to use it?assuming i got 2 lights, 1 left and 1 right.where to put reflector?
must get someone to hold to reflect the light?

ya hor, 1 light left 1 light right - ah put in the middle then you can 1 hand trigger 1 hand hold reflector lor

sounds good to me.

I do not use strobes.

I only use continuous lights.

I photograph in a "normal" office. And my models often asked me to turn down the aircond.

I have a cheena setup which is simple and serves me well. Can do simple full length portraits as well as product shots. Here's a quick run down of what the setup includes and the approximate costs.

1. 3 x 100W strobes, 2 x Medium Softboxes, 2 x Barndoor and some color gels - $600
  2. Light Tent - $50
  3. Backdrop Stand - $80
  4. 5 x Backdrops (approx 6m x 7m) - $170
  5. 2 x Large Reflectors - $80
  6. Radio Trigger - $70
  7. Boom Light Stand - $120
Total equipment cost approx $1170. I'm not too concerned about resale value as I don't foresee getting rid of the equipment anytime soon. I find that the most restrictive thing is the lack of a proper working space. If you have a long room like you mentioned, it would be an ideal place for a setup like mine.

no, photography is only my hobby.nothing more, nothing less.

snowspeeder,
15 x 7 meters, not feet.

wow! very BIG house!! envy!! can sleep in a "studio" with mood lighting!
:think:

Status
Not open for further replies.