hi and buying a new camera, d70, 300d...or...

D70 or 300D

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
justarius said:
I think you mean 3D matrix metering requires lens to be of D-type? Normal matrix for Nikon don't require D-lens..

hehe, think I better clarify myself abit: I was wondering how much it would cost Nikon to adapt their current lens mount found in the lower end SLRs maintain metering for all their MF lenses; ie how much would it cost them to include the mechanical linkage system as well. If the cost is not prohibitive, then it would be a very good marketing move to do so, as well as ensure consumer loyalty. Good for us too, as we can then mount the relatively cheap second hand MF lenses on our spanking new SLRs. :D

Sometimes it's not whether how much it costs, but whether it is worthwhile doing it because most new users will not need the feature anyway. Moreover, they want to sell more high ends models mah! :devil:

leonzhu said:
Well, it's all about the marketing. Can you imagine if Nikon put all the functions of an F5 body into the F55? How would the sales of the F5 be? This is the simple reason why the lower-end bodies don't have such functions. It wouldn't actually cost a WHOLE LOT, but it would affect the sales, as well as the progression of the product line-up.

Also, if you had some manual lenses on a, say, FM2, you *probably* wouldn't go for something too low, because the build quality and function set would disappoint you.

p.s. Gadrian, what is my rubber face doing on your avatar?!??? :eek:

hehe, think we are going quite a bit OT from the poster's initial comment on helping him to choose a D70 or 300D. :D Anyway, my last few words (hehe): I'm sure the F5 has a lot more going for it that the ability to centre/spot meter with MF lenses as compared to the F55. In fact, the F4 would be better for AF/MF users as it meters in matrix as well. If the cost isn't prohibitive, than incorporating full compatibility is going to generate LOTS of goodwill and build up a great reputation, which is highly valuable given that Nikon's marketing team is sadly inferior to Canon's, eventhough their product is just as good.

just like all companies, Nikon will probably undertake developments to generate more profits.... instead of intangible goodwill that can't go into the balance sheets.

to all, thanks for all your help in making my decision. i know i said i would wait until may, but forget that! :D i bought...drum roll please...the D70. after a lot of :cry: and :dunno: and :sweat:, i made my decision--i could not wait until may.

after looking at pictures samples from both cameras, something about the D70 attracted me to it. i'll be honest, the percentage of mysterious folks who voted for the D70, the nikon fans on numerous boards, and the look of the D70 also had an impact on my decision.

thank you for all your help! as soon as i get my camera and had a chance to practice a bit, i'll post pics. i know the person who is using the camera makes all the difference and not the equipment itself, so that means i have a long way to go!

thanks,
-kilago

kilago said:
to all, thanks for all your help in making my decision. i know i said i would wait until may, but forget that! :D i bought...drum roll please...the D70. after a lot of :cry: and :dunno: and :sweat:, i made my decision--i could not wait until may.

after looking at pictures samples from both cameras, something about the D70 attracted me to it. i'll be honest, the percentage of mysterious folks who voted for the D70, the nikon fans on numerous boards, and the look of the D70 also had an impact on my decision.

thank you for all your help! as soon as i get my camera and had a chance to practice a bit, i'll post pics. i know the person who is using the camera makes all the difference and not the equipment itself, so that means i have a long way to go!

thanks,
-kilago

Congratulations.. we welcome you to the world of DSLR and Nikon..

Hello, I'm new to photography too.. Just came back form Bali trip... I'm using a canon 300D with the 28-135mm IS USM lens and the 70-200mm f/4L lens... Just saw the pics just now.. they are stunning... i agree with kelccm, save that money and buy the 300d and get the good lenses especially the 70-200mm f/4L lens... can't stop looking at them pics now... even though the canon has lesser functions than the d70 i think that it doesn't mean that the canon 300d is worst... so what if the d70 has more functions if u dunno how to use it? besides.. if u are new to photography like me i'd learn all the traits of photography with a usable camera first then move on to a better version like the 10D or even the 1DMKII (Wish i could try that camera again... tried the camera... superb...) All in all its still ur choice... its ur money, but i'd say that the 300d, even though with lesser functions and a so-so kit lens (Tried it... its ok... plastic mount makes it look cheap) is a better camera...

nickmak said:
Hello, I'm new to photography too.. Just came back form Bali trip... I'm using a canon 300D with the 28-135mm IS USM lens and the 70-200mm f/4L lens..

:bigeyes:

New to photography and you are using these lenses!! Lucky you!

Ansel said:
:bigeyes:

New to photography and you are using these lenses!! Lucky you!
yeah... thx... i guess i'm lucky... and unlucky... thing is... my dad paid for the 28-135 but i had to save up and pay for the L glass... i tried it and got stuck to it... its not coming off my camera unless i have to... i love that lens... i want to really get serious into photography and would like to learn how to in a serious manner after browsing at them national geographic magazines... they are just so good... i wanna learn how and i no that its me who is on the creative side, not the camera, but i wanna get good equipment to make my pictures as best as i can...

Yes I am also new to digital photography bought the 10.5 / 12-24 / 24-120 / 17-55 / 70-200 f2.8 / 105 micro and a 50mm prime shot some digital image with each and every one and can't tell you how good the photos looked and also can't stop looking at it (especially the fish eye and all the wide angles that Canon glass is lacking) so what makes you say "300d, even though with lesser functions and a so-so kit lens (Tried it... its ok... plastic mount makes it look cheap) is a better camera". ??? I don't understand. :bigeyes:
Side by side comparison on body alone D70 has better value.

nickmak said:
Hello, I'm new to photography too.. Just came back form Bali trip... I'm using a canon 300D with the 28-135mm IS USM lens and the 70-200mm f/4L lens... Just saw the pics just now.. they are stunning... i agree with kelccm, save that money and buy the 300d and get the good lenses especially the 70-200mm f/4L lens... can't stop looking at them pics now... even though the canon has lesser functions than the d70 i think that it doesn't mean that the canon 300d is worst... so what if the d70 has more functions if u dunno how to use it? besides.. if u are new to photography like me i'd learn all the traits of photography with a usable camera first then move on to a better version like the 10D or even the 1DMKII (Wish i could try that camera again... tried the camera... superb...) All in all its still ur choice... its ur money, but i'd say that the 300d, even though with lesser functions and a so-so kit lens (Tried it... its ok... plastic mount makes it look cheap) is a better camera...

Yea its true... but u do have to understand that the 300D is almost a yr old now... and the D70 just came out so as what the others have said b4, of course the D70 has much more features than the 300D no doubt... but its not the features that is all that makes a good pic but also the person behind that lens... I said that thing b4 cuz the 300D is basic enough so that a new user (ie. me!) is able to learn the traits of photography and with a simple dSLR like the 300D of course it makes it easier to learn the techniques of photography... of course lets not go on with this 300D and D70 thing again... too many already!!! hehe... its personally my opinion... we do have to understand that Canon has a wider variety of lenses to cater for all ranges of photographers and this makes the EOS system more flexible (Possibly!!!) than the Nikon systems... Its my opinion as i have seen going around shops in s'pore and finding mostly canon stocked up... (Shrugs...) and by the way... a fish-eye lens is merely either a creative tool or a marketing tool put out by these lens manufacturers so that u wud put more of those precious bucks down on the counter and plz tell me how many times would u use ur fish-eye to take photos compared with ur otherwise impressive set of lenses... its a personal opinion that's all... i do have to say that the new sigma 12-24mm lens that came out sure gives a great wide-angle picture... of course the canon ain't having a fish-eye lens of that short focal length but its 15mm fish-eye is the one that will stand up against other fish-eyes... by the way... none of the people associated with me are working for canon or nikon... by the way... how much did u spend on all them lenses? seems like u could spend a lot for a newbie!! :) lookout for that sigma 300-800mm zoom lens! its huge... well... that's all i g2 say 4 now...

Less function is not equal to basic and I do understand also that Nikon system is also very wide and also caters to all ranges of photographers (including many of the famed and well knowed by you from National Geographic) and this also make Nikon system very flexible. Just because Canon does not have a fisheye in its stable for digital and for that matter not many wides as well it does not make it a marketing tools. Why do Canon users have to use Sigma 12-24 and not make one of their own and how does this make Canon flexible??. So I gather Canon lens are also equal to Sigma lens, what ever happens to the red ring of the L series ?. Yes all the stores has Canon stock up because of a simple reason that nobody are buying them, everybody is going for the D70 and all its lens offering.

It does not matter what I own or how much I spent as like you said it is the eye and mind behind that counts. So why give bias info to other newbie ??. :nono:

I am not here to argue which system is better as each has its own merits and strong points but I believe un-bias view should be given to other newbies and not just recommending your personal opinion.

nickmak said:
Yea its true... but u do have to understand that the 300D is almost a yr old now... and the D70 just came out so as what the others have said b4, of course the D70 has much more features than the 300D no doubt... but its not the features that is all that makes a good pic but also the person behind that lens... I said that thing b4 cuz the 300D is basic enough so that a new user (ie. me!) is able to learn the traits of photography and with a simple dSLR like the 300D of course it makes it easier to learn the techniques of photography... of course lets not go on with this 300D and D70 thing again... too many already!!! hehe... its personally my opinion... we do have to understand that Canon has a wider variety of lenses to cater for all ranges of photographers and this makes the EOS system more flexible (Possibly!!!) than the Nikon systems... Its my opinion as i have seen going around shops in s'pore and finding mostly canon stocked up... (Shrugs...) and by the way... a fish-eye lens is merely either a creative tool or a marketing tool put out by these lens manufacturers so that u wud put more of those precious bucks down on the counter and plz tell me how many times would u use ur fish-eye to take photos compared with ur otherwise impressive set of lenses... its a personal opinion that's all... i do have to say that the new sigma 12-24mm lens that came out sure gives a great wide-angle picture... of course the canon ain't having a fish-eye lens of that short focal length but its 15mm fish-eye is the one that will stand up against other fish-eyes... by the way... none of the people associated with me are working for canon or nikon... by the way... how much did u spend on all them lenses? seems like u could spend a lot for a newbie!! :) lookout for that sigma 300-800mm zoom lens! its huge... well... that's all i g2 say 4 now...

mpenza said:
one pt I had wanted to make earlier was that Nikon didn't really need to maintain support of the older lenses to attract new users cos the current range of good quality AF lenses are very good.... hence, the support for older lenses is a bonus for people with access to the MF lenses but not that important a factor for newbies/new comers.

While I agree with you, the older MF lenses ought to be considered by any newbie when doing fundamental research in to a system, as it's a source of cheaper glass which can help keep costs down and also some lenses simply aren't duplicated in the AF arena as yet. Add to this the fact that many older Nikkors can be 'chipped' and mount converted to allow full metering on current bodies.

Firmware not user upgradeable!

I agree with Kilago, for Nikon DSLR firmware upgrade need to get back to service centre with warranty card. If out of warranty then may need to pay for it to upgrade.

For Canon DSLR can easily download from canon website and upgrade to the latest firmware anytime.

Correct me if I’m wrong

spend the mondy on the d70 wif the kit lens and sb-800....got some money left to buy a dx zoom up to 200mm at least too...probably still got enuff to buy a cheap AF zoom....and some filters..

Status
Not open for further replies.