hi and buying a new camera, d70, 300d...or...

D70 or 300D

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zerstorer said:
Some people spend so much time harping about the flaws and weakesses of the other system that they fail to see the flaws in their own. I wonder is it due to blind faith or ignorance?:)

Oh please..

Want me to list the flaws of the Nikon system.. I can.. I dont have a plank in my eye.. I can tell you.. the Canon EOS300D was a real wake up call to Nikon..

gadrian said:
Oh please..

Want me to list the flaws of the Nikon system.. I can.. I dont have a plank in my eye.. I can tell you.. the Canon EOS300D was a real wake up call to Nikon..

Perhaps you do. But I don't see you listing them out to newbies. Selective memory loss perhaps?

gadrian said:
Do you know there was also an adaptor to mount zeiss lenses on Nikons?

hadn't known that yet but had though such an adaptor would exist. did read something about Nikon lenses being able to mount on Canon bodies via an adaptor but not the other way round. not too sure how true it is though.

Zerstorer said:
Perhaps you do. But I don't see you listing them out to newbies. Selective memory loss perhaps?

hey, don't drag too much into this at this hour ;p let's rest.

Zerstorer said:

Hmm lets see..

D100 -

No flash synch socket
No i-TTL metering
No metering with AI-S, AI lenses..
could have been a magnesium body like the 10D..
small buffer only can burst 4 RAW images
bloody CCD attracts dust like flies to dung!!!
slower focus tracking then the 10D.. admittedly..

Hows that for starters :blah:

actually, it's good to list out the flaws.... so that people who can't stand certain flaws would back away from that model ;p had tried it several years back but it didn't catch on ;p

300D:
1. small body makes it unwieldy with telephoto lenses.
2. playback of pics is too slow! much much slower than a US$250 Ricoh digicam I had. luckily like most DSLR, a press of the shutter button will instantly bring back to shooting mode.
3. battery does not last as long as the one on D70
4. no support of write-accelerated mode of Lexar Pro CF cards
5. slow write times to the memory cards
6. to change aperture in manual mode, you need to press one button with the thumb and use a finger to turn the command wheel
7. significantly slower startup time (2-3s) compared to D70
8. small buffer - only 4 images for jpeg or raw

anyone for D70?

Kilago..

Whatever be the case.. both system have great engineering built into them.

Ultimately it is the image that matter the most.. my vote goes for D70

gadrian said:
Hmm lets see..

D100 -

No flash synch socket
No i-TTL metering
No metering with AI-S, AI lenses..
could have been a magnesium body like the 10D..
small buffer only can burst 4 RAW images
bloody CCD attracts dust like flies to dung!!!
slower focus tracking then the 10D.. admittedly..

Hows that for starters :blah:
Well done! You've recovered your memory!:)
Sleep early, sufficient rest is essential for quick recovery!

Cheers!

:bigeyes: I am also trying to make up my mind. I have an F100 with the following lens - 28-300 Tamron mm, 17-35 mm Sigma, 28-105 Nikon and a 105mm Niikon. All the lens are AF D lens. I love the Sigma and the Tamron for travel, but my load is still too heavy. I am ready for the switch from film to digital. Once I make up my mind I would probable sell the F100 with all the extras. The Cannon 300 was shown to me on the plane ride from Singapore and I have to say I was very impressed. Guess one of the selling factors for me is weight. I get very tired lugging the F100 around with lens, flash, batteries etc. My investment is only 18 months old and when I bought the F100 I was torn between digital and film - I now do not want to make another mistake. Anyone know if I could use my lens with digital or if I would have to sell and start over. I have read the threads regarding Manuel lens.$$ :cry:

Whoa! Lots of responses!

I think both the Canon and Nikon look great! Thanks all...for making my decision harder! :bsmilie: :sweat:

sunnysfo, easy choice for you then. D70 (only 30-40g heavier than the 300D) will be the one. but do note that the cropping factor due to the smaller sensor compared to film means that the equivalent field of view will be 1.5x the focal length. so a 17mm lens becomes a 25.5 equivalent.

to get back the 17-35 mm field of view of the sigma, you'll probably want to get the Nikon 12-24 DX lens.

for your lenses, you may want to retain at least the 105mm and 28-300.

sunnysfo..

All you lenses are usable.. I have the 28-105 and 105 micro.. also the 17-35 f2.8-4 Sigma is usable and the 28-200 Tamron.. as for weight..

D70 is about 595g without batts.. the 300D about 565 also without batts.. honestly right now.. I would say go for the D70.. you already have the right lenses..

mpenza said:
sunnysfo, easy choice for you then. D70 (only 30-40g heavier than the 300D) will be the one. but do note that the cropping factor due to the smaller sensor compared to film means that the equivalent field of view will be 1.5x the focal length. so a 17mm lens becomes a 25.5 equivalent.

THis FOV (field of view also happens on the 300D at 1.6x

kilago said:
Whoa! Lots of responses!

I think both the Canon and Nikon look great! Thanks all...for making my decision harder! :bsmilie: :sweat:

1)take a dice.
2)pick one of the 2. odd or even.
3)decide which correspond to canon/nikon
4)toss the dice
5)buy D70 or 300D based on dice results

zodnm said:
1)take a dice.
2)pick one of the 2. odd or even.
3)decide which correspond to canon/nikon
4)toss the dice
5)buy D70 or 300D based on dice results

lol... :bsmilie:

Thank you MPenza and Gadrian for the reply regarding the lens. Good news for me. Now all I have to do is find someone that stocks the camera!:vhappy:

Both Canon and Nikon are great systems. You will not regret if you choose either. The most important is to enjoy photography and not get too worried about the technologies. A good photographer can take great pictures even with a P&S camera.

I have a better idea. Ignore all those Canon/Nikons lovers boasting/putting down about how great/bad is Canon/Nikon. Get a Pentax*istD instead. You might like it better and go on to take money making pictures
:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

it's funny when u see people constantly looking for the perfect camera system.
dun u sometime wish they can take the pix for u instead?

Ansel said:
Dear ghost,

I am not a flash person, so I'll let someone else comment on that, but the lens part is very close to my heart so I'll have to chip in my 2 cents here.

You can mount an AI or AIS manual lens on the D70 and take a picture. This essentially allows you to use lenses that were made from the late 70s up to today. No, there is no metering. Yes, you can select the shutter speed on the camera body and the aperture on the lens and take a picture.

But no metering how? I thought this was a big problem until I got to play with leonzhu's D100. I mounted a manual lens (55mm f2.8 micro) on his D100, aga-aga and set the shutter speed and aperture, take a shot and voila, my "agatation" was quite good and the LCD gave instant feedback on my exposure condition. The histogram was a great help. If the exposure is over or under, I just adjust and do a reshoot until I got it right.

Trust me, the process is very intuitive and is faster than you can read this paragraph. You essentially have a built-in "polaroid" camera that can give you instant feed back and the tests are free! You don't even need an exposure meter! This occasion absolutely convinced me to "go digital" because I love my manual lenses and I have resisted all this while because I thought, like you, the D70 (D100 for me at that time) cannot use manual lenses. Yes, it works and it works beautifully. :thumbsup:

OK, anybody want to talk about the flash part?

Dear Ansel,

I do have the metering when I mounted the Nikon MF lens on 300D and it very accurate. The only thing missing is the forucing point. Unlike the FM2 that I am using. If anyone of us using FM2 should there is a forucing point.

I am glad that all of us share our point of view. From here, I think I have learn quite a lot. Thanks everyone. :)

Ghost77

Status
Not open for further replies.