hi and buying a new camera, d70, 300d...or...

D70 or 300D

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zerstorer said:
Some people spend so much time harping about the flaws and weakesses of the other system that they fail to see the flaws in their own. I wonder is it due to blind faith or ignorance?:)

rncw said:
think the greater shortcoming is the photog himself...

how true. :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

gadrian said:
Hmm lets see..

D100 -

No flash synch socket
No i-TTL metering
No metering with AI-S, AI lenses..
could have been a magnesium body like the 10D..
small buffer only can burst 4 RAW images
bloody CCD attracts dust like flies to dung!!!
slower focus tracking then the 10D.. admittedly..

Hows that for starters :blah:

Burst 4 RAW images only? I can burst 6! :blah: (disclaimer, i got a fluke body :D)

to the original thread starter...here's my views...

get the D70, as it's new, more features added, and priced competitively with camera in the same category (entry level DSLR).

don't have to think too much about whether old lenses, that was produced 39 years ago (1965, my birth year) can be used or not. :dunno:

spend more time to think and learn how to take better pictures instead. :)

i'm recommending the nikon D70, and i don't represent nikon and they dun pay me.

other things you may want to buy is a fast CF card (instead of the microdrive) like Lexar 40x WA or Sandisk Ultra II for the D70.

ghost77 said:
Well, one of my friend has read the only one Brochure of D70 from MS ANG MO KIO.

To his disappointment , almost all manual lenses cannot be fully used in D70 body. First the metering will not function once mount with M lenses and second the Max. Aperture is f5.6. I don't understand why Nikon wants to produce its own product with double standard?
Please don't cope my word. Just the point of view. I am not against Nikon nor any other product.

Hi ghost77, how can I use a Nikkor MF lens on Canon 300D, do I need an adapter kind of of stuff? Thanks.

Nobody said:
Hi ghost77, how can I use a Nikkor MF lens on Canon 300D, do I need an adapter kind of of stuff? Thanks.

yes, you need a adapter for that. I got it for Mr Wong's shop at Chinatown. I can't remember the name of the shopping mall. Need to check up with my friend. We went there together. He got an adapter for his leica lens and I got the adapter for my Nikon lens.

gadrian said:
THis is my test..

And Btw.. I am actually looking at the D70, D100, D2H, D1x, D1h and D1 brochures at the moment.

Hi gadrian,

Kindly share what did you find out from the brochures info? My friend actually wanted to buy D70 but after he read the brochures. He sent an email to me saying that he was very disappointed. Is it truth? I have yet to read the brochures but so hard to find.

ghost

Thanks ghost77 & oeyvind. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

ghost77 said:
Hi gadrian,

Kindly share what did you find out from the brochures info? My friend actually wanted to buy D70 but after he read the brochures. He sent an email to me saying that he was very disappointed. Is it truth? I have yet to read the brochures but so hard to find.

ghost

Hello Ghost,

The 16-page D70 brochure, as well as the other cameras, are available in PDF form at the Nikon webiste:

http://www.nikon.com.sg/CATALOG/D70_16p.pdf

You can download and read it for yourself.

Ansel said:
Hello Ghost,

The 16-page D70 brochure, as well as the other cameras, are available in PDF form at the Nikon webiste:

http://www.nikon.com.sg/CATALOG/D70_16p.pdf

You can download and read it for yourself.

So sad...stated in point..
9. with maximum aperture of f/5.6 or faster.
11. can be used in Mode M, but camera exposure meter cannot be used.

Hope Nikon can improve in this. :cry:

ghost77 said:
So sad...stated in point..
9. with maximum aperture of f/5.6 or faster.
11. can be used in Mode M, but camera exposure meter cannot be used.

Hope Nikon can improve in this. :cry:

Agreed. I wonder how expensive it is to adapt the lens mount in the lower end cameras to have full metering options on all MF lenses. At the moment, the only camera which can meter with MF lenses are the top end ones: F100(no matrix!), F5 (no matrix!), F4(including matrix), as well as the top end DSLRs. Is there a genuine cost concern here, or is it simply a matter of product differentiation?

justarius said:
Agreed. I wonder how expensive it is to adapt the lens mount in the lower end cameras to have full metering options on all MF lenses. At the moment, the only camera which can meter with MF lenses are the top end ones: F100(no matrix!), F5 (no matrix!), F4(including matrix), as well as the top end DSLRs. Is there a genuine cost concern here, or is it simply a matter of product differentiation?

Well, you can't adapt the cameras, but you can actually install a CPU onto most manual lenses to make them compatible with the newer cameras. But unless you have some pretty expensive manual lenses to make it worthwhile because it costs about S$200 or so to install the CPU.

justarius said:

The matrix metering in Nikon bodies required the lens to be of D-type, so that the distance information can be used to adjust exposure accordingly. The older non-cpu lenses also used a mechanical system to couple the camera and lens, which explains why the newer bodies (which don't have the physical pin needed to couple the lens and body) cannot meter with them.

leonzhu said:
The matrix metering in Nikon bodies required the lens to be of D-type, so that the distance information can be used to adjust exposure accordingly. The older non-cpu lenses also used a mechanical system to couple the camera and lens, which explains why the newer bodies (which don't have the physical pin needed to couple the lens and body) cannot meter with them.

I think you mean 3D matrix metering requires lens to be of D-type? Normal matrix for Nikon don't require D-lens..

hehe, think I better clarify myself abit: I was wondering how much it would cost Nikon to adapt their current lens mount found in the lower end SLRs maintain metering for all their MF lenses; ie how much would it cost them to include the mechanical linkage system as well. If the cost is not prohibitive, then it would be a very good marketing move to do so, as well as ensure consumer loyalty. Good for us too, as we can then mount the relatively cheap second hand MF lenses on our spanking new SLRs. :D

Justarius.. I think the cost is quite significant.. by just removing the Aperture ring on D type lenses to G type lenses.. have actually allowed many lenses to be repriced at 20-30% less then the D-type lenses.. basing on this.. i think the cost would be significant..

justarius said:
I think you mean 3D matrix metering requires lens to be of D-type? Normal matrix for Nikon don't require D-lens..

hehe, think I better clarify myself abit: I was wondering how much it would cost Nikon to adapt their current lens mount found in the lower end SLRs maintain metering for all their MF lenses; ie how much would it cost them to include the mechanical linkage system as well. If the cost is not prohibitive, then it would be a very good marketing move to do so, as well as ensure consumer loyalty. Good for us too, as we can then mount the relatively cheap second hand MF lenses on our spanking new SLRs

gadrian said:
Justarius.. I think the cost is quite significant.. by just removing the Aperture ring on D type lenses to G type lenses.. have actually allowed many lenses to be repriced at 20-30% less then the D-type lenses.. basing on this.. i think the cost would be significant..

Well, it's all about the marketing. Can you imagine if Nikon put all the functions of an F5 body into the F55? How would the sales of the F5 be? This is the simple reason why the lower-end bodies don't have such functions. It wouldn't actually cost a WHOLE LOT, but it would affect the sales, as well as the progression of the product line-up.

Also, if you had some manual lenses on a, say, FM2, you *probably* wouldn't go for something too low, because the build quality and function set would disappoint you.

p.s. Gadrian, what is my rubber face doing on your avatar?!??? :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.