Help with Samsung Monitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

littlejt

Aug 12, 2006
hey, just bought a new Samsung 932B monitor. after browsing through a couple of pictures and comparing with my laptop and another monitor, i found that the colours are very rich and saturated compared to the others.

this means that the colours and stuff aren't really accurate and it would probably be a photographer's nightmare when he wants to edit his photos.

another friend had the same problem with the 931c and he used the spyder to try to calibrate it but the colours still werent really corrected. a little improvement but still a nightmare.

so i'm asking if you guys have any solution to it cos i would like to process my pictures on my desktop rather than my small laptop

thanks in advance. hope to hear some help from the clubsnap community

Compare the Difference 1
Compare the Difference 2

dude, you are using 2 different application, your lightroom might have set to a different color space against windows viewer (srgb)

try viewing from the same application and make sure your photos are of the same color space

yea both in the same colour space.

just that the colours on my samsung monitor appears richer and more saturated. so the adjustments on it were lesser than on a normal one.

top is the LR pic of the one edited on the pc 2nd pic is the pic edited with LR on the labby

yea both in the same colour space.

just that the colours on my samsung monitor appears richer and more saturated. so the adjustments on it were lesser than on a normal one.

top is the LR pic of the one edited on the pc 2nd pic is the pic edited with LR on the labby

but the main thing is you are still comparing them using different browser from what i see

okay i just tested putting both onto LR. its the same result.

get yourself a display calibrator la friend.

but my friend calibrated with the spyder 2 pro and he said there wasnt much difference.. hmm so you think this a calibration problem? besides calibration there is no other way to fix this "samsung" colours right

sian sia this is so irritating canont edit on my new bigger screen

hey, just bought a new Samsung 932B monitor. after browsing through a couple of pictures and comparing with my laptop and another monitor, i found that the colours are very rich and saturated compared to the others.

this means that the colours and stuff aren't really accurate and it would probably be a photographer's nightmare when he wants to edit his photos.

another friend had the same problem with the 931c and he used the spyder to try to calibrate it but the colours still werent really corrected. a little improvement but still a nightmare.

so i'm asking if you guys have any solution to it cos i would like to process my pictures on my desktop rather than my small laptop

thanks in advance. hope to hear some help from the clubsnap community

Compare the Difference 1
Compare the Difference 2

Before you purchase the Samsung monitor, you should have check with Clubsnap first. I have posted several postings regarding this issue in the past. I have consulted a few experts from the graphic and printing industries, and they told me that this issue is due an inbound system limitation within the Samsung imaging processor. There is nothing much you can do now as THAT IS the best your Samsung has got to offer. This means that your color will never be accurate no matter how you calibrate.

For your information, I am also using a Samsung monitor (still using it) and I encountered this problem 3 years ago. Currently I use a NEC Spectraview monitor as my primary monitor and the Samsung as my secondary monitor (I have a dual-head video card).

OT a bit, Samsung makes wonderful LCD TV but not computer monitors for color-critical applications.

*sigh*

any monitor specific color profile you can use to calibrate it from applications like adobe photoshop or from graphic cards. Otherwise, guess you can use it as your digital frame.. just get a used dell pda and external monitor kit as the engine :)

I've Samsung 931C and it drives me crazy too! Keeps flickering (even though I've replaced one before) and coloration is totally off!

Altho it's about $400 but it's such a shame if I've to sell it off. Is there really anything I can do to make my post processing more realistic and accurate?

Thanks!

My experience with Benq is good. Colour just nice.

I'm very happy with my NEC SpectraView 2090uxi. It is an IPS panel and its internal 12-bit LUT table can be reprogrammed during calibration to get the exact colours, bringing Delta-E below 0.3. While NEC is not cheap, other IPS panels with reprogrammable LUT tables (Eizo ColorEdge series) are even more expensive.

Just my $0.02

I'm very happy with my NEC SpectraView 2090uxi. It is an IPS panel and its internal 12-bit LUT table can be reprogrammed during calibration to get the exact colours, bringing Delta-E below 0.3. While NEC is not cheap, other IPS panels with reprogrammable LUT tables (Eizo ColorEdge series) are even more expensive.

Just my $0.02

Yes..... That's why I am getting 2 more NEC 2090uxi to replace the existing Apple display and Samsung in my studio.

Thinking of replacing my existing monitor with Samsung 225MW because of its built-in TV tuner, before I take the plunge, could someone please enlighten me on the notion of "exact color", "accurate color", etc. What benchmarks are we using to conclude that one monitor has more "accurate color" than the other?

This means that your color will never be accurate no matter how you calibrate.

I've Samsung 931C and it drives me crazy...coloration is totally off!

Colour just nice.

...can be reprogrammed during calibration to get the exact colours,...

What benchmarks are we using to conclude that one monitor has more "accurate color" than the other?
Most calibration software has a function to evaluate results AFTER calibration and profiling is completed. During evaluation, colour deviation is normally measured as the Euclidean distance in L*a*b* space (called "Delta E") between a patch of colours sent to monitor by a colour managed application, and colours physically measured by hardware colorimeter.

It is considered that a typical person can tell the difference between two colours if Delta E between these colours is 1.0 or above. Therefore colour output devices that are calibrated to Delta E less than 1.0 over the entire gamut are considered to be accurate.

A good colour monitor, such like Eizo ColorEdge and NEC SpectraView can be calibrated to Delta E less that 0.5 over the entire gamut, thanks to the access to internal 12-/14-/16-bit LUTs of these monitors.

Most other professional, prosumer and consumer LCD panels (including Eizo S series, all Samsungs, Viewsonics, etc) don't let you reprogram internal LUTs, and the only option to calibrate these monitors is by reprogramming graphics adapter's LUT tables, which are inheritably 8-bit, due to limitations of DVI interface. These monitors can typically be calibrated to Delta E < 3.

Laptop LCDs is another story, they are of thin design, usually 6-bit, and they normally have smaller than sRGB gamut. My IBM T43 after calibration with Monaco OptixXR has average Delta E about 3, with some saturated colours having Delta E over 10.

Laptop LCDs is another story, they are of thin design, usually 6-bit, and they normally have smaller than sRGB gamut. My IBM T43 after calibration with Monaco OptixXR has average Delta E about 3, with some saturated colours having Delta E over 10.

That's right..... That's why I never consider the colors on my Powerbook to be correct until I view the images on a desktop. When I shoot tethered with a laptop, I used it primarily to evaluate my composition, minor flaws and the model's (s') expression(s). Never to judge the colors.

That's why, sometimes I have to haul a Spectraview along with me (especially for food photography). This is mainly to reassure my clients that the colors are correct. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.