HELP! What to feed a baby bird?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Artosoft said:
Found this old baby bird this morning (23/6/06). Baby Pigeon. I think it drop from its nest and wet because of rain this morning. Can not fly, still too young.

What to feed and how long do you think I need to keep it until it can fly? Can it feed itself?

IMAGE_000021.jpg

Help!

Regards,
Arto.

Above look like a pigeon to me, should be in a month half time with well feed.

Go to the bird shop or those at serangoon shop and get from them a kg($1) of chicken mix food. Mix with water and feed every 1~2hrs.

Or can buy those liquid food and inject thru the mouth.

I can show you how to feed also can pass u the food.
cheers

The mother of baby bird is still around. But looks like she is afraid to get in touch with the baby bird. Should I just put a baby bird in the box and let the mother take care of the baby?

Regards,
Arto.

Artosoft said:
The mother of baby bird is still around. But looks like she is afraid to get in touch with the baby bird. Should I just put a baby bird in the box and let the mother take care of the baby?

Regards,
Arto.

Unless you can get it back to the nest. I dont think the mother will take care of it.

Zplus said:
Unless you can get it back to the nest. I dont think the mother will take care of it.
That one I need SCDF help :embrass: .

Regards,
Arto.

now, u hav a heavy responsibility, either way ... i think u feel responsible liao . welcome to "motherhood"

the hard thing is that.. the mother detect its baby by their smell..

when the baby is away from the nest and gets touched by others, or bathed etc.. the smell will be gone and the mother will not be able to identify its kids..and in the wild when that happens, almost 100% the parents will abandon their kids as they cant recognise them anymore.. so in this case.. i would say its tough luck.. maybe u can rear it become bigger and stronger before letting it fly independently? they would have a higher survival chance this way..

and the thing abt the cat issue is true.. its too dangerous to leave it on the ground in a box..

kcuf2 said:
the hard thing is that.. the mother detect its baby by their smell..

when the baby is away from the nest and gets touched by others, or bathed etc.. the smell will be gone and the mother will not be able to identify its kids..and in the wild when that happens, almost 100% the parents will abandon their kids as they cant recognise them anymore.. so in this case.. i would say its tough luck.. maybe u can rear it become bigger and stronger before letting it fly independently? they would have a higher survival chance this way..

and the thing abt the cat issue is true.. its too dangerous to leave it on the ground in a box..
I think it is my faith to take care the baby until the baby can fly :embrass: . Last time I have some birds, but never a baby bird.

Regards,
Arto.

Artosoft said:
I think it is my faith to take care the baby until the baby can fly :embrass: . Last time I have some birds, but never a baby bird.

Regards,
Arto.

Call me if you need help I will pass the food and show you how to force feed the baby. :(
I do really mean force feed cause pigeon feed differently.

The birdie I have from niccon is very easy cause he/she will open his mouth during feed time.

longkangman said:
Call me if you need help I will pass the food and show you how to force feed the baby. :(
I do really mean force feed cause pigeon feed differently.

The birdie I have from niccon is very easy cause he/she will open his mouth during feed time.
Where is your location. I don't think it is nice to pass the baby to you, since you have one to take care already. But, I like to know the technique so I can take care the baby myself.

Regards,
Arto.

this thread gets my vote for best KoPiTiAm thread for the month. :thumbsup:

Artosoft said:
Where is your location. I don't think it is nice to pass the baby to you, since you have one to take care already. But, I like to know the technique so I can take care the baby myself.

In the east, pm me your location and I bring the food over.

Pls note the baby cannot go without liquid for more than 12~24 hrs. :dunno:

longkangman said:
In the east, pm me your location and I bring the food over.

Pls note the baby cannot go without liquid for more than 12~24 hrs. :dunno:
LKM,

Thanks. I am in Tanjong Katong. But I am very happy when I saw the parents finally come down and they feeding the baby :vhappy: . So my job is easier, I only watch the baby from cats.

Tonight I will put the baby in box, make it unreach for cats, and tommorow morning put the baby in the same location.

Regards,
Arto.

Artosoft said:
LKM,

Thanks. I am in Tanjong Katong. But I am very happy when I saw the parents finally come down and they feeding the baby :vhappy: . So my job is easier, I only watch the baby from cats.

Tonight I will put the baby in box, make it unreach for cats, and tommorow morning put the baby in the same location.

Regards,
Arto.

Quite near my place.

Wow... very happy for the baby bird. :lovegrin: :thumbsup:

Cheers

i once saw a little bird after rains, i thought there isn't way to help it so I left it sadly..

What i thought the only way is to put it back to the nest, which i can't find it..as parents birds wont' be able to take them back to nest.

and i wonder if i feed them..even with leather grow..how they learn to fly?.. it is quite strange that nature have make baby birds less difficult to survive if they drop from their nest..

this thing isn't going to happen on other animals..

LENS said:
i once saw a little bird after rains, i thought there isn't way to help it so I left it sadly..

What i thought the only way is to put it back to the nest, which i can't find it..as parents birds wont' be able to take them back to nest.

and i wonder if i feed them..even with leather grow..how they learn to fly?.. it is quite strange that nature have make baby birds less difficult to survive if they drop from their nest..

this thing isn't going to happen on other animals..

If they have wing they will fly worry not. Or you can take them to SPCA :dunno: :lovegrin:

LENS said:
Nature will teach them (when the time is ready) to fly.

I try on the baby bird, since I saw some feathers already growth, from about 1.4m drop the baby to the grass, but looks like the wings is not strong enough. Maybe another 2 weeks?

2nd time see the parents (both) feeding the baby bird :vhappy: . This kind of feeling can not describe one...

Looks like they feeding every 2 hours (like LKM say above).

Regards,
Arto.

Bring this thread up again to inform that the baby pigeon bird now learn how to fly. Still too weak for more than 10m distance and can not above half meter.

But Baby bird is too lazy to learn eat by itself. Always 'piek piek' sound of 'minta makan' :bsmilie: .

Still collecting the photos... ;p .

Cheers!

Best regards,
Arto.

Status
Not open for further replies.