HELP! Reformatted my Laptop without backing up photos

JVlarcus

Dec 14, 2008
Hi CSers,

I just sent my laptop for reformatting in school today to upgrade from Windows 7, 32 bit to 64 bit and I had forgotten to backup one of my important album which I travelled to Cambodia :cry:
and the Helpdesk has told me that they are already almost done reformatting it, which in that case is abit hard to stop and recover back.

I've read on some websites that there are programmes that are able to recover my pictures back and was wondering if anyone here has ever experienced something like this?
Any recommendations on which software I should use?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

recovery apps like data warrior or data rescue3, I've recovered files with them before.

but not all will be recoverable.

Last edited:
Not sure what can be recovered with NTFS. All FAT partitions are easy, formatting will only wipe out the File Allocation Table. Stop all write access and check with some data recovery companies. Don't tinker around on your own, unless you know what you are doing. Will be an expensive lesson, but mostly those will last a long time :)

Recovery of the drive will probably cost you more than the Cambodia trip. And there is no guarantee that all files can be recovered. Good Luck.

My advice, plan to travel to Cambodia again. Might be cheaper. Or get someone you know with the know-how and the software to do recovery and hope he/she charges you less.

Or if you are brave enough, you can try it on your own.

Last edited:
Hi CSers,

I just sent my laptop for reformatting in school today to upgrade from Windows 7, 32 bit to 64 bit and I had forgotten to backup one of my important album which I travelled to Cambodia :cry:
and the Helpdesk has told me that they are already almost done reformatting it, which in that case is abit hard to stop and recover back.

I've read on some websites that there are programmes that are able to recover my pictures back and was wondering if anyone here has ever experienced something like this?
Any recommendations on which software I should use?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Download trial version of PC Inspector and see if it is suitable.Fat and NTFS compatible but I think it will not do any real work unless you buy it.There are many free recovery software you can also try.

download trial ver.:
Download PC Inspector File Recovery 4.0 Free - This is a data recovery program that supports the FAT 12/16/32 and NTFS file systems. - Softpedia

How to recover deleted files with pc inspector:
How to recover deleted files with PC Inspector File Recovery - YouTube

Pc inspector review:
PC Inspector File Recovery - Video Review - YouTube

Last edited:
Recovery of the drive will probably cost you more than the Cambodia trip. And there is no guarantee that all files can be recovered. Good Luck.

My advice, plan to travel to Cambodia again. Might be cheaper. Or get someone you know with the know-how and the software to do recovery and hope he/she charges you less.

Or if you are brave enough, you can try it on your own.

i second this ... go back to Cambodia and reshoot !

Hi guys,

thanks for all the advises and help given, had tried some of them but still to no avail :(
Thank God one of my facilitator in school has offered to help me recover my hard drive next monday.
Will update on how it goes when I do get my laptop back

I've thought about returning back to Cambodia sometime soon but I doubt that
I'll be able to capture the same kind of images as I did back during that 2 weeks I was there(Maybe I might get better ones? :)
as I'm currently in my last year of poly and I went with school to do voluntary work over in Cambodia,
so it would be a totally different experience with all the friends and people I've met there.

The funny thing is I had backed up all my other photo albums just except for this particular album from cambodia :sweat:

OT alittle, Luckily I did post some of my images up on Facebook
Hope you do enjoy them :)

Thanks!

Hi guys,

thanks for all the advises and help given, had tried some of them but still to no avail :(
Thank God one of my facilitator in school has offered to help me recover my hard drive next monday.
Will update on how it goes when I do get my laptop back

I've thought about returning back to Cambodia sometime soon but I doubt that
I'll be able to capture the same kind of images as I did back during that 2 weeks I was there(Maybe I might get better ones? :)
as I'm currently in my last year of poly and I went with school to do voluntary work over in Cambodia,
so it would be a totally different experience with all the friends and people I've met there.

The funny thing is I had backed up all my other photo albums just except for this particular album from cambodia :sweat:

OT alittle, Luckily I did post some of my images up on Facebook
Hope you do enjoy them :)

Thanks!

nice photos. hope u manage to salvage your files.

Yes, go back to Cambodia.
You also make it sound like the laptop belongs to the school. In that case don't keep personal info on it. Keep it on an external drive.