help me answer some of my qns

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsplenden

Mar 25, 2004
holland ave
i have compiled some questions which i hope some kind soul would help me with... or if there are any articles which have already addressed these issues, please provide me with a link or something... thks..

1) what is ISO?
2) are all DCs compatible with windows XP?
3) what is image noise? why image got noise? (question sounds stupid :bsmilie: )
4) how does aperture size affect how the image is focused?
5) if aperture size can affect the image focus, what is focusing control for?
6) what does it mean by softening the photo?
7) are there any articles which can help me understand more of what people in this forum is talking about? :embrass:

bsplenden said:

what about this question... i think quite hard to find in books...

I don't think it's the DC that you should worry about. The software that comes with the DC is the 'compatible' one. What I am saying is that all DC will connect to the PC using a firewire or USB port. If your software that comes with the DC is XP compatible then the DC should be compatible too. Anyway most software nowadays are XP compatible so no worries here.

bsplenden said:
i have compiled some questions which i hope some kind soul would help me with... or if there are any articles which have already addressed these issues, please provide me with a link or something... thks..

Short answers

1) what is ISO?
Film(or CCD sensor) sensitivity to light

Look for XP compatibility logo

3) what is image noise? why image got noise? (question sounds stupid :bsmilie: )
CCD noise is the digital equilvalent to "grain" in film.

Why ? Long explaination ... see here
http://www.photoxels.com/tutorial_noise.html

In a nutshell ... small CCD sensor + high sensitivity => More heat => Background electrical noise > Good Signal from light photons thus leading to Noise.

Eg. Digital SLRs bigger sensors thus less noise thus better image quality BUT requires big lenses etc. thus more $$$.

4) how does aperture size affect how the image is focused?
In a nutshell, small aperture (big F stops) means more of the image will be focused (eg. Useful in landscape shots)
Large apertures (Small F stop) means you are focusing on one part of the image while the rest is blurred (useful in portraits)

5) if aperture size can affect the image focus, what is focusing control for?
Focusing control ? Err ... More flexibility is better ... Manual focus for flowers ... Continuous Focus for action ... Fast autofocus for day to day shots etc.

6) what does it mean by softening the photo?
Eg. If you take a portrait of a Bride do you want to sell her a pin sharp portrait of her face with pimples and wrinkles in full glory or do you want to give her a nice dreamy (soft) / romantic photo which blurs out the minor imperfections ?

7) are there any articles which can help me understand m
ore of what people in this forum is talking about? :embrass:
To start you off
http://www.photoxels.com/fundamentals.html
or go
dpreview.com forums

;) ;)

bsplenden said:
what about this question... i think quite hard to find in books...

Most DCs will bundle with a CD which includes drivers for recognising the DC. I guess the newer cams should be plug & play, as they will be recognise as a removable drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.