HELP! do i need to send my DSLR for cleaning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kazataza

Aug 22, 2007
Redhill
3019571654_4107e7c175.jpg

Hi,

Greatly appreciate everyone's advice.
I noticed that my pics have a small black spot - on the right hand side of the pic, above the mid horizon.

Tried cleaning my lens but the same spots appear on and off again in different pics.

Should I send the Nikon D60 for cleaning? if yes, please advise shoud I bring it to Nikon Service Centre itself or any other recommendations for cleaning?

Thanks alot.

just clean your sensor lor....if still cant then send to clean at service center

There are quite a lot of online pages that teaches you to clean the sensor.
I was a bit apprehensive in the beginning, but I did the plunge anyway.

So its not such a big thing after all =)

Sensor is dirty, if you r uncomfortable doing it yourself, send it to NSC for cleaning, I paid $26 (inclusive GST) to service mine and it takes about 20 mins, you can have yr camera back.

Go to NSC get the pro ppl clean for you and you will see result if not good ask to clean again;)

point the cam downwards, flip the mirror up (read your manual on how to do that) and get your blower and point it upwards at the sensor and blow a few times (cam to be pointing downwards while blowing)

to check if sensor is clean, set iso to 100-200, shutter to 15-30 sec, aperture to smallest (F20 or 22) shot a white wall and shake your camera about (up and down or in circle), preview photo, if there is still dust on sensor it will show up as a dark spot, if picture is pure white like your wall, then its clean

Well, there's the DIY way, and there's the if-you-have-time-and-don't-mind-the-hassle-the-send-the-camera-to-NSC way. You can google or scan through the CS for more thorough ways of cleaning, although I believe a basic method of cleaning has been highlighted above.

The other way, is well... alright too... S$26 to clean, free if under warranty. If you drive, ERP and car park charges apply too.

thanks a lot for everyone's advice....i'm still a bit apprehensive on cleaning it on my own...maybe will bring it down to NSC...can i collect it on the same day or must wait?

Depends on their workload, naturally... Generally speaking, you can get it within 1h... although I know a lot of people have collected it within 20-30min.

thanks a ton :)
will send it down for cleaning then :)

thanks a ton :)
will send it down for cleaning then :)

Be aware that a dust spot might just appear again a week later...

Best to learn how to clean it yourself. It's one of the "sacrifices" you must make for a DSLR.

My sensor is super dirty now. I took a blower, hairdryer :bsmilie: (for a couple of seconds) to blow the dust away. But it didn't really work. So going down to NSC is my plan B

use a blower to clean, but avoid contact between the tip of the blower and the sensor surface.
use the mirror lock-up function via the menu before proceeding.

Status
Not open for further replies.