[HELP] A lot of pictures taken on Formula Drift event, now I am confused

soons

Mar 22, 2007
As above.

Over the span of 2 days, I laterally spammed my DSLR shutter almost like no tomorrow.
After filtering near 1.8K photos from both days, I have selected 600 of them that are sharp and somewhat tells a story.

I can explain why: Day 1: Focus and hold shutter: continuous shooting, I was overwhelmed by the number of pics when I reach home, so I changed my style by focus, shoot, focus, shoot on Day 2, which decreases the total number of images taken from 1.2K to about 600, but total % of usable pics increase only about 20%. Partly due to that I risked a slower shutter speed by going against 1/focal length rule, before 1.6x crop multiplier E.g. 1/100 at 135mm (210mm equiv)

Being still an advanced Armature, I am still overwhelmed by some real great photos posted by other photographers over at the correct thread.

Now, this is the problems I am facing:
1. Approx 600 images were sharp, after deleting more than 1K of images.
The time I had viewing them on my hard drive is already taking quite sometime. If I upload all of 600 of them online, I seriously doubt there are people laterally viewing all the 600 images. Worse still, connecting to internet does not guarantee fast speed and visitors will just grow tired of waiting.

2. Some of the photos are near miss of accidents within the race, but it will only be able to tell straight if they were animated. How to show a picture of 2 vehicles almost banging each other without showing animation. :think:

3. All the pictures were taken at a moderate shutter speed, some degree of motion blur on background were visible. (panning) But will people be viewing about 400 of them??:dunno:

Feel lost right now, got a "want to upload them but yet want to delete them" kind of feeling...:dunno::bheart:

You have to set your standards very high, getting rid of the blur shots is only the first step. Of the 3000+ I took during the F1 last year, I only posted 46 of them.

One idea I have seen for action sequences is to combine them into a montage. Quite a bit of work involved, but looks great.

Where will you post your stuff?

I would say - be cruel and demanding. If you have 600 'good' shots, then be exacting and look for only those 'great' or 'omgwtfbbq' shots.

To tell a story doesn't mean you need to really show every driver on every FP,Quali,Top-32,Top-16,Top-4,Demo,Z-in-a-box,Drive-lineup etc etc. ;)

Thanks elghk & Sivakis for your comments.

Normally, when u are browsing a gallery for a particular event, how many pictures dou look before u feel tired and close your browser?? :)

I start to question myself after setting aside 386 pictures on day 1 - how many people will really view 386 of them. I even find it overwhelming to view them on my hard drive, let alone the internet!!

A sifu once told me, if you have just 12 excellent shots in your portfolio, you can go around the world. If you put in 24, 36 or 100 average shots thinking you will impress with volume, you will get no where. However, SEA Clients, however, sometimes have a somewhat different view ...

I would suggest selecting just enough shots to showcase your best abilities and talent, or luck, or a story that any magazine or newspapers editor will be proud to feature in their publication. Out of those, there should be THAT ONE WINNING shot that will makes the world stop breathing, and go WOW!

Keep the rest for personal pleasure or analysis, then junk or archive them.

Last edited:
if it is to tell a story, use montage, else normally I will just take every photo as it is, unless you going to caption every photos to linke them up.
As for getting tired and close the browser, normally after 5 or 6 so so or "repeative styles" photos.

Last edited:
My take is that posting photos of similar compositions will simply dilute each others impact, so it would be good to be more selective what you choose to show others.

It is usual to feel excited about shots after an event, and thus many shots look very good immediately after. Relook at the batch for a few days. Photos that still look good after a few days (when the excitement dies down) make the cut.

Give yourself sometime to sort out the photos based on themes, then select those that stand out from the group.

IMO, if you really want to showcase your work and ability....regardless of how many pictures you have actually taken...you will never show more than 10-20 of a particular event. You have to junk the rest. It will subject you to higher and higher standards and next time you may not need to take as many as 6000 pictures to get a few good shots because you will be more discerning (this may not really be true for wedding/sport shooting though, but i am mostly a travel/street photographer and it works for me). Just my noob $0.02

Hehe, after replying, I also set the axe on my FD shots. From 1,400, I whittled it down to 700. So 50% of shots that are either blur or just bland (although sharp).

Then I looked through the remaining 700 and decided which was 'deserving' of some PS-care. Only less than 50. The rest were okay but didn't really shout,'DRIFTING!!'

So that's 1,400 shots taken, 50% decent and 50 good. That's 3.5% of the 1,400 shots. Haha, still plenty of room to improve :)

Hehe, after replying, I also set the axe on my FD shots. From 1,400, I whittled it down to 700. So 50% of shots that are either blur or just bland (although sharp).

Then I looked through the remaining 700 and decided which was 'deserving' of some PS-care. Only less than 50. The rest were okay but didn't really shout,'DRIFTING!!'

So that's 1,400 shots taken, 50% decent and 50 good. That's 3.5% of the 1,400 shots. Haha, still plenty of room to improve :)
I was really overwhelmed by the number of pictures I brought home on day 1, thus I changed my shooting style on day 2, resulting in 50% lesser total image taken compared to day 1.

Guess my new 550D might already reach more than 5K shutter count le, the way I spam like no tmr. :bsmilie:

As above.

Over the span of 2 days, I laterally spammed my DSLR shutter almost like no tomorrow.
After filtering near 1.8K photos from both days, I have selected 600 of them that are sharp and somewhat tells a story.

I can explain why: Day 1: Focus and hold shutter: continuous shooting, I was overwhelmed by the number of pics when I reach home, so I changed my style by focus, shoot, focus, shoot on Day 2, which decreases the total number of images taken from 1.2K to about 600, but total % of usable pics increase only about 20%. Partly due to that I risked a slower shutter speed by going against 1/focal length rule, before 1.6x crop multiplier E.g. 1/100 at 135mm (210mm equiv)

Being still an advanced Armature, I am still overwhelmed by some real great photos posted by other photographers over at the correct thread.

Now, this is the problems I am facing:
1. Approx 600 images were sharp, after deleting more than 1K of images.
The time I had viewing them on my hard drive is already taking quite sometime. If I upload all of 600 of them online, I seriously doubt there are people laterally viewing all the 600 images. Worse still, connecting to internet does not guarantee fast speed and visitors will just grow tired of waiting.

2. Some of the photos are near miss of accidents within the race, but it will only be able to tell straight if they were animated. How to show a picture of 2 vehicles almost banging each other without showing animation. :think:

3. All the pictures were taken at a moderate shutter speed, some degree of motion blur on background were visible. (panning) But will people be viewing about 400 of them??:dunno:

Feel lost right now, got a "want to upload them but yet want to delete them" kind of feeling...:dunno::bheart:

If you want to improve, quite feeling precious over your photos. Got to be blunt but if you are having issues with shot selection, you are far from being an advanced armateur.