Heartland


Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 20, 2006
1,087
0
0
#1


Taken near my home. I tried to frame it with the trees to make it more interesting.

Now shoot me. :devil:

But don't be a girl and start crying if I shoot back. Exchange of ideas, ok? :)
 

foxtwo

Senior Member
Mar 11, 2004
2,522
0
0
singapore
#2
Perhaps you can explain your heartland concept first?
 

Apr 20, 2006
1,087
0
0
#3
foxtwo said:
Perhaps you can explain your heartland concept first?
Is it really that bad?
Forget the concept. I was not trying to create 'art'. I'm certainly not at that stage yet.
Just trying to put this monster of a HDB building in the best light I can. Framed in with the trees, caught it at late evening to get a more interesting light.

You can be critical... :)
 

Apr 20, 2006
1,087
0
0
#4
Not to reference anyone in particular, I would like to add a point. I notice that some posters in Critique Corner seem to have this holier-than-thou attitude. They are very rude, and defend themselves with the 'it's for your own good' line of argument. I've seen it time and again. I think the posters here want constructive comments, but nobody should be made to endure bad manners.

For example... it's enough to say: "That's a bad picture because the composition is bad, focus is off, etc..."

There is no need to say: "This is just a casual snapshot taken with no thought process..."

The first sticks to business. The second comment is personal and rude.

PS: This post is definitely not directed at you, foxtwo. You have given very constructive comments in the past and I appreciate your help. :)
 

foxtwo

Senior Member
Mar 11, 2004
2,522
0
0
singapore
#5
nottipiglet said:
Is it really that bad?
Forget the concept. I was not trying to create 'art'. I'm certainly not at that stage yet.
Just trying to put this monster of a HDB building in the best light I can. Framed in with the trees, caught it at late evening to get a more interesting light.

You can be critical... :)
I don't feel you've captured the building(s) well. Lighting is dull, late evening light is not obvious. Tree yes as a framing tool, composition is relatively alright.... but.... the picture does not meet the expectation of the title.

I hope you don't view this next statement as an attack or a probe.
You've been quite active in the C&C forum of late, and from the impression I'd expected a more worthy picture. I really did expected to enjoy a better image/concept.
Now of course it's not about needing to live up to someone else's expectations, but I'm just sure you can come up with something more. ;)
 

Apr 20, 2006
1,087
0
0
#6
Thanks for the comments. They are very constructive. :)

Don't have such high expectations of me yet. I am still learning... and I don't have a lot of time to practice. :)

After staring at the picture for a while more, I can see more and more flaws.
The front of the HDBs are washed out by the shadows, and the sky isn't dramatic enough.
Unfortunately, these flats are NS facing. Hence the front/back will always be in the shadows during the early mornings and late evenings.

In short... it looks boring. But then HDB flats are boring. I am trying to find an intersting way to make a picture of a boring subject.

I'll find another spot and make a better photo of the HDB flat.
btw, I want old HDB flats. I find new HDB flats even more boring.
 

ortega

Moderator
Staff member
Nov 2, 2004
23,694
10
38
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
#7
How to make "this" image better

as per your title

you image does not give me the feeling of the "heartlands"
if you decide to use the title "heartland" your image should have some heart
I'd suggest that the foreground include some people element

although evening light is a more interesting lighht, the light on that day was not interesting enough, you might want to either choose a different point of view where the light and shadows "play" more.

or wait for the light to become more interesting, on another day perhaps...

you would notice that the sky is flat, without colour or a variation of tones
clouds would make it less plain, also you might wait for the sun to go lower.

you might also want to try reshooting this on sunrise
from the shadows in this image i would guess that the sunrise
would bring the light in front of the flats

composition wise, the lines of the flats and the tree draws my
eye to the bottom left hand corner, which brings me to some leaves
which is er....... nothing interesting
make use of this composition element to draw your viewer's eyes
to the main subject. Which might be some people element doing some hartland things.

I would imagine using a WA lens to enhance the perspective and be able to include
more forground.

i hope you understand my ramblings
i'd suggest trying it again to see for yourself how little details
can make your image better. I'd hope to see a follow up shot.
cheers and keep it up
 

foxtwo

Senior Member
Mar 11, 2004
2,522
0
0
singapore
#8
nottipiglet said:
....

For example... it's enough to say: "That's a bad picture because the composition is bad, focus is off, etc..."

There is no need to say: "This is just a casual snapshot taken with no thought process..."

The first sticks to business. The second comment is personal and rude.

...
I think I've said or insinuated the 2nd line once or twice before. It's harsh but not mean.

The little mental photography checklist has to take 2nd place, understanding why the photographer attempted the picture is more important. And I write the same way, I find it really hard & long-winded to try seeing a casual snapshot as a normal picture and comment on it as such. It's obvious I'm not perfect. I prefer to jolt the photographer into learning to junk snapshots in search of something better. It's sharp and direct. Many have written before that we don't have to time to write long critiques that examine each aspect of the image. Frankly, trying to comment on a casual snapshot is the hardest C&C, because anything and everything could be changed/improved. If you & we clearly knew what you wanted to say (with the picture), then everything will be so much simpler.

But it's good that you've made clear what you've found acceptable and unacceptable ahead of peoples' C&C.
 

Apr 20, 2006
1,087
0
0
#9
foxtwo said:
I think I've said or insinuated the 2nd line once or twice before. It's harsh but not mean.

The little mental photography checklist has to take 2nd place, understanding why the photographer attempted the picture is more important. And I write the same way, I find it really hard & long-winded to try seeing a casual snapshot as a normal picture and comment on it as such. It's obvious I'm not perfect. I prefer to jolt the photographer into learning to junk snapshots in search of something better. It's sharp and direct. Many have written before that we don't have to time to write long critiques that examine each aspect of the image. Frankly, trying to comment on a casual snapshot is the hardest C&C, because anything and everything could be changed/improved. If you & we clearly knew what you wanted to say (with the picture), then everything will be so much simpler.

But it's good that you've made clear what you've found acceptable and unacceptable ahead of peoples' C&C.
Don't get me wrong... I am not offended by your comments at all. I fully understand that taking a good picture takes planning. Rarely do we take good pictures on the 1st take. When I post pictures up here, usually I plan to retake them, but I want to find out how I can plan better.

I went out on Mon late afternoon for a walk because I needed some fresh air after sleeping the whole day no thanks to the flu. My intention was to take a row of colourful shophouses down the street (which I did). However, on my way there, I spotted this 'window' through the leaves and trees... through which the HDB flats appear. The lighting was somewhat harsh and contrasty, so I needed to isolate the area. So I zoomed in to the max (at 85mm), and framed the flats like that.

Another place to shoot old HDB is around Kallang river. I will check that out too. :)

I take in all your points, and I will attempt a reshoot... probably in the morning, and hopefully with more action in the sky (which is beyond my control). With more action in the sky, I will probably lose the trees, which draw attention to the leaves in the corner as pointed out by Ortega.

On the title... the word Heartland does not bear the same meaning to me. I don't live in the Heartland... and I have never lived in the Heartlands. It's a place far far away from me... quite another world.

My other shots that day were a little better... though the lighting was still too harsh. I shall play with it a little with Photoshop. Failing which, I should try again another day, when the sun has set a bit more... Want to see those? But I will be flouting the 1 pic a week rule. :p
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom