HDB/Condo dwellers: Do your towels turn black?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gymrat76

May 10, 2004
Hi all,

Those who love in flats who do not sun-dry their clothes, particularly towels... do you notice that they turn black in patches over time? Like there's some fungus growing or something after a while? Noticed this happenning for some time now and always attributed it to the fact that I dry my clothes indoors. Is there a way to prevent this short of hanging them out the window on poles? (Don't do it because dunno what ppl upstairs throw out their windows, and we're not home most of the time). Never had this problem living in my mum's place where we would hang the clothes outside in the sun..

Hi all,

Those who love in flats who do not sun-dry their clothes, particularly towels... do you notice that they turn black in patches over time? Like there's some fungus growing or something after a while? Noticed this happenning for some time now and always attributed it to the fact that I dry my clothes indoors. Is there a way to prevent this short of hanging them out the window on poles? (Don't do it because dunno what ppl upstairs throw out their windows, and we're not home most of the time). Never had this problem living in my mum's place where we would hang the clothes outside in the sun..

Maybe your washing machine does not dry your clothes enough? Or the washing detergent is not good? For me I use Top brand and it does not have this problem and somemore I air-dryed my clothes (I dun even hang my clothes outside).
Hope it helps!

Hmmm, strange why some ppl get and some don't. Some of my colleagues living in HDB also reports this problem. Maybe its a problem with top loading washing machines, doesn't rinse well enough? Or maybe I have to change brand of detergent :confused:

I'm using front load and separate box for dryer. nope. for bath towel, didn't turn black. but for face towel, a bit black, small portion of dirt

my towels frequently turn black... i also dunno why is that so, in particular the white towels that i used all turn black.... and the black patches is very very big.... i threw a lot away... even washing with detergent doesnt remove the black stuffs

surprisingly, only my army large green towels never turn black. I dunno why?

Hi all,

The sunlight has something that kills some organisms.
I think the black patch is a form of Fungi.
Fungi grows where there is no sunlight.

eh wanna ask, why dont you sundry your towel? anyway i only have one case similar to your problem is when my SAF towel shows patches of light yellow or light green...but its not like it is anything...

eh wanna ask, why dont you sundry your towel? anyway i only have one case similar to your problem is when my SAF towel shows patches of light yellow or light green...but its not like it is anything...

HEY YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!!!! my army green towel show the loght yellow/orangey patch, but its not black patches which is suffered by other towels....

is the yellow patch also fungus?? or is it discolouring?

Side track: It's all because of our ELITE gahmen telling us to conserve water, and me being a peasant, of course listened to the ELITES. After i bathe, i wiped my body, then i hang it up to dry, then i use the towel at night when i bathe again, then i hang up dry, then i reuse the towel the next day, and i reuse the towel the next next day and i reuse the towel the next next next day and so on, i use a towel for 1 week before i wash it. [no joke, i really do this]

see, wat a faithful peasant i am. I m not as rich as the ELITES to wash towels after every use.

i think just discoloring lah ... lightly bleach abit of your army towel .. will appear similar .. mine kenna liao .. hahaha ...

my other towels, after a LONG time ... have small black dots ... den the dots become holes ... :S ... kenna some underwear also .. :S ... only those 2 .. and i SUN-DRY my clothes .. :sweat:

actually i love my army towels a lot.... i should have bought a lot a lot a lot a lot of them last time... when i still have the 11b credits... argh.... i only bought 7 when i ord...

Well, staying in a HDB means putting it on a pole and suspending it outside your window. Two reasons I don't do this:

1. Most of the time nobody is at home, especially on the weekdays as wife and I at work

2. I'm not on the top floor of the flat, and I've seen people dusting their carpets, tapping their cigarette ashes, throwing stuff down etc from the higher floors of HDB before. Don't want my clothes to be dirtier than before I washed them :bsmilie:

I think investing in a dryer is a good option. My colleague who uses one also says don't get this problem. Maybe indoor drying and damp clothes breed fungus, unlike clothes which are sun-dried that get the fungus killed off by UV :dunno:

Yes! I get these black spots appearing on my towels. And I dry my clothes indoor.
These black spots seem very selective. I've also lost a favourite long-sleeved t-shirt to it. But most of my other clothes seem unaffected. I'm guessing towels are more vulnerable as they are hung in the bathroom, which are generally more humid and warmer.

I have considered getting a dryer for the clothes, but those things take up a huge amount of space...I haven't figured out where to put it.

Gymrat, Invest in a heavy duty dryer and all problems solved. I have been using dryer since "donkey years":bsmilie: no problems with white towels. When dryer needs repair, towels kept indoor for drying emits a certain smell:bigeyes:

i do get them on my white face towels. not black, but purple.

Hi all,

Well, staying in a HDB means putting it on a pole and suspending it outside your window. Two reasons I don't do this:

1. Most of the time nobody is at home, especially on the weekdays as wife and I at work

2. I'm not on the top floor of the flat, and I've seen people dusting their carpets, tapping their cigarette ashes, throwing stuff down etc from the higher floors of HDB before. Don't want my clothes to be dirtier than before I washed them :bsmilie:

I think investing in a dryer is a good option. My colleague who uses one also says don't get this problem. Maybe indoor drying and damp clothes breed fungus, unlike clothes which are sun-dried that get the fungus killed off by UV :dunno:
which part of singapore do you live at?

Status
Not open for further replies.