HARVEY NORMAN CHRISTMAS PROMO

justsochubby

Dec 15, 2011
Simei estate
Hey ppl, I am finally decided on the DSLR I want to get by this year. Harvey norman is having promotion on CANON EOS 600D @ $1199 1year LOCAL WARRANTY, and the free gifts comes with 2 8gb CARD, 1 batt, 1 screen protector, 1 cleaning kit, 1 CANON tripod worth $249 and 1I-CABI Dry cabinet worth $189. The market price for this model is ranged from $1050 to $1090 which only comes with the free agent items quoted by recommended shops listed by Clubsnap. Is it worth it? Need you guys advices. Sorry if I post at the wrong group.

Other than the dry cabinet, there's nothing interesting to the type of free gifts they usually gives. Even the cabinet is a common gift since last yr's PC shows. Do name the brand and size of the dry cabinet to see if they have aggregated the cost, in which they already had for the tripod... It doesn't worth that much....

- 2 8gb CARD - these are cheap, and usually the slow cards that nobody wants to buy anymore.
- 1 batt, - should be in the box anyway.
- 1 screen protector - $2 from Daiso
- 1 cleaning kit - $2 from Daiso
- 1 CANON tripod worth $249 - realistically this is a cheap, flimsy one, just a $30 tripod with a canon sticker.
- No brand/capacity no talk. ;)

Actually if the tripod are the one that are given out by Canon (T4-3110) it is actually quite good and sturdy... And this tripod was not given as promotion by Harvey Norman, but by Canon themselves, so you get this tripod from any shops selling local 600D. So in actual fact, Harvey Norman is only giving out the screen protector, cleaning kit and memory card + a nameless dry cabinet... the screen protector and cleaning kit are actually pretty cheap - and can be bought in quite a number of places. What I am interested in is the dry cabinet.

Dry Cabinet brand i-CABY Model HD20, Canon tripod model T4-3511. Is both of these free gifts worth $149? The cheapest price I can find is $1050 with only 1 8SD card, one free case and one guide book. Harvey norman is selling @ $1199.

Dry Cabinet brand i-CABY Model HD20, Canon tripod model T4-3511. Is both of these free gifts worth $149? The cheapest price I can find is $1050 with only 1 8SD card, one free case and one guide book. Harvey norman is selling @ $1199.

As stated, the Tripod is a Canon promo and you can get it anywhere.

The i-CABY is a Digicabi brand, and costs about 80 SGD. It's only 20L so it's quite small, and if you plan on buying more lenses will quickly get quite packed.

There is no such thing as "free gift", you are paying for everything by buying at their inflated price.

A quick look into the net, I cannot seemed to locate the i-caby HD-20, instead, from its website, the smallest seemed to be HD-30 which is a 30litre cabinet, and if I follow to the denotation... then I will be looking at a 20 litre dry cabinet. If you only had 1 camera and 1 or 2 lenses (small lenses), it is okay. But if your lenses are longer, bigger or if your collection of lenses increases, this cabinet will definitely be not enough.

ZhuHai HuiTong Machinery&Electronic./Ltd

Anyway, you could ask around first... talk to the reputable shop to see if you add all the items that Harvey Norman's going to give as 'freebies' and see if the amount added up to be cheaper or not. If it is cheaper... then get it from that shop, if not, get it from Harvey Norman.

To Rashkae, The canon tripod is not the CANON promo. All the other shops are just having the package with only 8gb sd card, guidebook and free case. That's all.. Right now Canon promo is only the prime lens itself.

justsochubby said:
To Rashkae, The canon tripod is not the CANON promo. All the other shops are just having the package with only 8gb sd card, guidebook and free case. That's all.. Right now Canon promo is only the prime lens itself.

Still, it's not worth buying freebie when u can decide what you want to buy for urself. Many fall into this trap and could not realize they are paying for freebies, which itself is a very ironic statement.

As for the tripod, look back at those PC show brochures, it's always a freebie item listed. Though it's good compare to other freebie tripods that other camera give, it's still nt worth that much as stated by the HN promoter. The price worth given to you is obviously inflated as well...

Do consider the prime lens (50mm F/1.8 I suppose) though even if it's a PWP (purchase with purchase).

Yes there is a price difference of $149. IF I pay the extra $149, I can get a free CANON tripod and the cabinet. I am still considering as I have to buy a cabinet ala clare which will cost me around $100 too.

600D with all those freebies?

like the others said, inflated prices.

the tripod (mint) is going for $80 here. it's the fancier tripod that everyone's selling from $30 to $90: here's one link http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/buy-sell-photography-accessories/1009513-wtsell-tripod-canon-tripod-t4-3511-a.html RRP $249? you've gotta be kidding. no one would sell it second hand even if it was a free gift at that much of a discount

can't find a 20 or 30 liter Digi Cabi for the price of $189 either. the most expensive digi-cabi i find at 30 liters is the Digi Cabi Digi-Cabi DB36N (30N)

edit:

oh yea sorry mods. thanks for removing the link to the website :sweat:

won't say much. all i can say is that i have no idea why TS wants to set himself up to become a carrot :bsmilie:

Last edited:
justsochubby said:
Hey ppl, I am finally decided on the DSLR I want to get by this year. Harvey norman is having promotion on CANON EOS 600D @ $1199 1year LOCAL WARRANTY, and the free gifts comes with 2 8gb CARD, 1 batt, 1 screen protector, 1 cleaning kit, 1 CANON tripod worth $249 and 1I-CABI Dry cabinet worth $189. The market price for this model is ranged from $1050 to $1090 which only comes with the free agent items quoted by recommended shops listed by Clubsnap. Is it worth it? Need you guys advices. Sorry if I post at the wrong group.

Like what others had said; its not worth.

I rather pay $1050 to other shops, and I buy my own tripod and dry cabinet.

8gb card is cheap cheap. I bet it's only class 4, right? It only cost $12 now.

Screen protector is dirt cheap, only $5. And anyway, don't use that kind of screen protector. It won't last long. I advise u buy GSS protector, that only cost $10.

The only freebie that I will take is a free battery. And best if it's original battery. This is the only freebie worth to have it. So if u come across any shop giving this, grab it.

:) Thanks! Donuts & kei.. Okay then I shall look for $1050 and below. See whether have anot. Anw, any cheap dry cabinet to recommend? I think 30 litre should be good enough for me.

I haven buy yet ah! Ask you all for opinion ma. HAHA That why I post @ newbie corner.

The lowest I can find is $1050 which comes with the standard items. Hopefully I can find a lower price before Christmas.

save yourself the brainwork. it's christmas. give yourself a break thinking of saving those few dollars on freebies.

buy at the cheapest you can get. save up the rest, and get better quality accessories than those offered. simple as that.

The lowest I can find is $1050 which comes with the standard items. Hopefully I can find a lower price before Christmas.
Then get a grey set and hope that you don't need any servicing. On the other hand, do compare the 600D with other offers, you might get even more features or whatnot for less money.

If not enuf $$, DIY drybox also works. save of electricity also and cost less then $30. down side is weekly - twice weekly microwaving needed

If not enuf $$, DIY drybox also works. save of electricity also and cost less then $30. down side is weekly - twice weekly microwaving needed
And your microwave does not use electrical energy? The difference in $ here is tiny, but if you include your time and express it as costs as well then a dry cabinet is the better way to go. Additional items to be considered for full picture: costs of Silica gel (needs to be replaced from time to time) and the health issue with Cobalt Chloride being a carcinogen substance.

Last edited: