HARVEY NORMAN CHRISTMAS PROMO

My advise to TS, ask for the price of the items that you think you need with your DSLR from reputable shop, then the DSLR price, add them up and see if you get a better deal or not, if not... go to Harvey Norman and buy. Simple... no need to crack your head. And do note that sometime megastore will give a better price as compared to reputable shops. The thing is... do your homework before committing to buying.

justsochubby said:
The lowest I can find is $1050 which comes with the standard items. Hopefully I can find a lower price before Christmas.

Actually what u need after buying yr cam is:

Dry cabinet-26L to 40L size. Price from $110 to $180. I'm using akarui

Tripod - about $130 to $200. Good brands like sirui, benro. Carbon will cost more. But if u r on budget, just buy normal one can Liao.

SD card - cheap cheap, from $25 onwards for Class 6 onwards

Spare batt - 3rd party batt $25 onwards

All these are much better than those freebies u get from shops.

That free tripod that Harvey is giving? Ppl are throwing away for $30 brand new. U say it's good or not?

And your microwave does not use electrical energy? The difference in $ here is tiny, but if you include your time and express it as costs as well then a dry cabinet is the better way to go. Additional items to be considered for full picture: costs of Silica gel (needs to be replaced from time to time) and the health issue with Cobalt Chloride being a carcinogen substance.

Jus giving my 2cents, My fault for missing out TEMPORARY SOLUTION till he saved enuf to buy a dry cabin that fits TS needs. Used that method for 2mths and i'm still alive and kicking. ;)

Jus giving my 2cents, My fault for missing out TEMPORARY SOLUTION till he saved enuf to buy a dry cabin that fits TS needs. Used that method for 2mths and i'm still alive and kicking. ;)
We are going OT slowly. Carcinogen substances will not kill you quickly, most of them will affect you during prolonged exposure / contact / inhaling / eating. Many factors are involved, which creates these effects of smokers getting 100 years old and non-smokers die at 50 or earlier. Basic common sense should tell us not to put chemicals into microwaves or other vessels / devices which are used for food preparations, regardless whether carcinogen or not. Secondly: I don't see any reasonable recycling system for special chemicals here in Singapore (which is common in other countries), another reason not to use such substances. Or at least get the orange Silica gel, it does not contain Cobalt Chloride.

justsochubby said:
MERRY CHRISTMAS GUYS! FINALLY I BOUGHT MY DSLR !:D

Congrats. Where u buy from? Got a good deal?

justsochubby said:
MERRY CHRISTMAS GUYS! FINALLY I BOUGHT MY DSLR !:D

Welcome to the club bro .
Can share where u bought and what free gift u get?

I bought @ Cathay Photo Pennisula branch yesterday. The price quoted to me was $1055 for the Canon EOS 600D kit 1. I didn't get any free gift but I receive a Class10 SD card instead of the Class4 agent SD card. I cant wait for the CANON workshop but the slot is all full now:c

Anyway! guys do you know where to get good and affordable screen protector for the screen, UV filter for my prime lens, the gel for drybox and basic cleaning kit for cameras. hopefully there is some links for me to browse. Thanks in advance:D

Good price is still better than retail price with stupid free gifts. Thanks bros for all the advice and recommendation given! MERRY CHRISTMAS

Anyway! guys do you know where to get good and affordable screen protector for the screen, UV filter for my prime lens, the gel for drybox and basic cleaning kit for cameras. hopefully there is some links for me to browse. Thanks in advance:D
All camera shops have these protectors and cleaning kits. The Silica gel you can get at many Photo Lab / Print shops. A basic cleaning kit is a rocket blower (available in camera shops), a microfiber cloth and Isopropyl Alcohol ($2 at Watson). Haven't used more than this in many years.
Regarding the UV filter: Why? :) If your prime is the 50mm 1.8 then you have a recessed front element, already protected by the build of the lens. The bigger distance between filter and front element will only invite more flare effects. If you want to get one then look at Hoya, Kenko etc. You need a good multi coating.

I bought a UV filter HOYA HMC multicoated (price:$28) for my basic kit lens yesterday. Tues I am gg to redeem my prime lens so I am thinking whether should I get a Filter to protect the lens.

Thanks Octarine.. What I wanna know is there any recommended place you often go to get protector, cleaning kit and accessories. I am worried that the shops marked up the price, and I dont even know anything about it.

Get a dry cabinet instead of a dry box & gel combi. Saves you a lot of trouble.
As for cleaning kit, u dun need a lot to start with. A blower & micro fiber cloth should be sufficient.
Dun be too paranoid abt dust.

buy second hand, sometimes even better. Unabused, low shutter, good condition, and also about $200 below original sale price. comes with actual freebies and this forum is full of reliable sellers.

that said, i remeber someone said before. If you want to buy camera, go camera shop and buy. all these commercial stores will throw in alot of things to throw you off course and get you to buy stuff you dont need/ will eventually not need/ need to upgrade.

so yes, i agree. buy a body, choose a lens (you get to actually choose! second hand lenses are also a great way to start), choose whether u want a battery grip, how many batteries, yadayadayada.

Thanks Octarine.. What I wanna know is there any recommended place you often go to get protector, cleaning kit and accessories. I am worried that the shops marked up the price, and I dont even know anything about it.
Always do your homework to know the range of street prices and the types available, even if you visit the reputable shops. If you just want the same protector as for handphones then most camera shops have it. Costs are similar (~$8). Price for rocket blower you can find also in Mass Sales and the local Internet stores (and you can even buy there, no need to hurry). A bottle of Silica gel is below $10 in these Photo Print shops.
Personal recommendation (but doesn't mean other are worse): Orient Photo, MS Color, tagotech (online shop)

that said, i remeber someone said before. If you want to buy camera, go camera shop and buy. all these commercial stores will throw in alot of things to throw you off course and get you to buy stuff you dont need/ will eventually not need/ need to upgrade
Erm.. Alan Photo and others are camera shops, have a look at what has been reported about them. They do exactly what you describe here for 'commercial stores' (I guess you refer to department stores like HN, Courts etc.): starting at low price, 'recommending' useless items which are heavily marked up or even offering alternative stuffs (which is cheaper but even more marked up). The entire first 3 floors of Sim Lim are full of them. Regardless which shop you enter: know what you want, know the price range, leave if you see any signs of above sales tactics.
Shops like HN, Courts etc sell at RRP and offer the standard set of freebies - which is mainly the freebies set from the camera manufacturer (that's why you need to claim the tripod from Canon) or they create own bundles.

Erm.. Alan Photo and others are camera shops, have a look at what has been reported about them. They do exactly what you describe here for 'commercial stores' (I guess you refer to department stores like HN, Courts etc.): starting at low price, 'recommending' useless items which are heavily marked up or even offering alternative stuffs (which is cheaper but even more marked up). The entire first 3 floors of Sim Lim are full of them. Regardless which shop you enter: know what you want, know the price range, leave if you see any signs of above sales tactics.
Shops like HN, Courts etc sell at RRP and offer the standard set of freebies - which is mainly the freebies set from the camera manufacturer (that's why you need to claim the tripod from Canon) or they create own bundles.

oh sry. thought there was a general 'we're not gonna talk about sim lim cause they're rippin' you off. period' thing. well yeah im actually refering to those in funan. ive only been to those and they're real helpful all round. and yeah know what you're buying.

Valkarian said:
oh sry. thought there was a general 'we're not gonna talk about sim lim cause they're rippin' you off. period' thing. well yeah im actually refering to those in funan. ive only been to those and they're real helpful all round. and yeah know what you're buying.

There are good shops at sls. Orient photo on 6fl is popular and very decent.

There are also bad shops at funan. Not my practice to name and shame but pple who've been ard know what I'm talking abt.

detritus said:
There are good shops at sls. Orient photo on 6fl is popular and very decent.

There are also bad shops at funan. Not my practice to name and shame but pple who've been ard know what I'm talking abt.

Agree.. Even good shop will have bad sales men..