HARVEY NORMAN CHRISTMAS PROMO

Nb the Cathay photo uncle sell me the UV filter for $28, other places are all selling @ $20. One fine day, I shall go down and ask him why. NBCB!#~$^#^$@

justsochubby said:
I bought a UV filter HOYA HMC multicoated (price:$28) for my basic kit lens yesterday. Tues I am gg to redeem my prime lens so I am thinking whether should I get a Filter to protect the lens.

Since u bought yr cam from Cathay photo, you should buy their dry cab, akarui brand. They r the auth distributor with 5-6 years warranty. I'm using one now. Its good, reasonable price.

As for screen protector, I recommend GGS protector. Don't use those flimsy type. Won't last long and scratches easily. GGS is a hard type plastic. Go to mycamerastore at excelsior hotel to buy. About $10.

I haven buy yet ah! Ask you all for opinion ma. HAHA That why I post @ newbie corner.

nothing is free in this world, you have to pay for every thing you get even though it's stated as free... should you need the extra items, then buy it from harvey norman, if not just get it outside loh??

U can get the dry cabinet from Parasilk which cost u abt $106 for Digi Cabi 036 (30L), you may want to look at their cleaning kit too.

justsochubby said:
Nb the Cathay photo uncle sell me the UV filter for $28, other places are all selling @ $20. One fine day, I shall go down and ask him why. NBCB!#~$^#^$@

U are lucky already, u know how many carrots paid $100+ for that piece of glass?
Just shoot and have fun.

really ah! HAHA but I bought my camera from there lor. Actually my friend is giving me her dry box. For the time being, I dont need a dry cabinet.

really ah! HAHA but I bought my camera from there lor. Actually my friend is giving me her dry box. For the time being, I dont need a dry cabinet.
Just keep in mind: it's about controlled humidity, not dumping camera and some gel and forget it. And: fluctuations will occur, just keep it stable on average of 45%.

justsochubby said:

Dry box is just temp solution. Long term, its not good for your cam.

U will still need to get a dry cab soon.

Have fun with yr cam! The more u use it, the more u will learn.

Wah help!!! Any Canon EOS 600D user here, I couldn't switch on my FLASH. The camera jus prompt this function is not applicable. I check the guidebook and everything still cant solve it

Wah help!!! Any Canon EOS 600D user here, I couldn't switch on my FLASH. The camera jus prompt this function is not applicable. I check the guidebook and everything still cant solve it

1) Did you disable your flash accidentally? Go to the menu, look for flash control, open it and see if the flash is enabled.
2) Did you get yourself a plastic thingy to cover the hotshoe, with that thing on hotshoe, you cannot operate the build in flash.
3) What mode are you in? Auto, Program, Av, Tv or Manual? Also are you in movie mode? I don't think that when you are in movie mode, you can operate flash.

Last edited:
Thanks rhino. I get myself a plastic thingy to cover the hot shoe. WAHLAO that why no FLASH:(

Cathay sells you filter more expensive by $8 but I doubt it is due to them cheating your money. Different shops sell things at various prices, as long as it is below difference of few bucks for accessories then its fine. Unless is like $100 for $20 then obviously that is trying to cheat your money.

You cannot blame the shop for charging higher simply because you have the freedom not to buy it should you have checked the prices from other shop.

Just like Harvey Norman may sell camera tha is at RRP that is higher than other shops are you going to go complain about their pricing after you agreed to the price through your purchase?

Yes I only have myself to blame. Trust the salesperson too much le, everything also yes. I have to invest on a small 30litre cabinet and one basic cleaning kit.

Since u bought yr cam from Cathay photo, you should buy their dry cab, akarui brand. They r the auth distributor with 5-6 years warranty. I'm using one now. Its good, reasonable price.

As for screen protector, I recommend GGS protector. Don't use those flimsy type. Won't last long and scratches easily. GGS is a hard type plastic. Go to mycamerastore at excelsior hotel to buy. About $10.

Where is Excelsior hotel? Actually Cathay photo also selling the screen protector at $10. Digital Cabi or Akarui better?

Hi Donut,How much you buy the dry cab, akarui brand? Yea since I buy the cam from there, I should be a loyal fan there.

justsochubby said:

If you use your camera and lens often, there is no need for a dry cabinet nor dry box. Just keep your camera and lens clean and dry after each use. In the old days, there were no such thing as dry cabinets and photographers and hobbies still manage to own and keep their cameras and lens fungus free. When I bought my first SLR in 1968, I used it for years upon years without even knowing about such humidity control requirements. I only had one lens with a small fungus growth after I misplaced it for a couple of years. I only found it when I moved home. Other than this particular lens, I did not and still do not face any fungus problem with any of my photographic equipment and I have quite a few fairly expansive pieces too.

I only keep those equipment I no longer use, such as film cameras and their lens, in my dry cabinets. None of my digital stuff are kept in dry cabinet at all as I use them on and off. Opening dry cabinet often makes it difficult to maintain its low humidity. I do however, let my digital camera and lens "see" sun-light often and this apparently is sufficient to keep the fungus away. From my experience, warm and dry condition is not conducive to fungus growth.

I got my M9 in September and till now it together with the lens have not seen the inside of any dry cabinet.

So dry cabinet need not be your first priority if you keep your equipment clean and dry most of the time.

New2digital said:
If you use your camera and lens often, there is no need for a dry cabinet nor dry box. Just keep your camera and lens clean and dry after each use. In the old days, there were no such thing as dry cabinets and photographers and hobbies still manage to own and keep their cameras and lens fungus free. When I bought my first SLR in 1968, I used it for years upon years without even knowing about such humidity control requirements. I only had one lens with a small fungus growth after I misplaced it for a couple of years. I only found it when I moved home. Other than this particular lens, I did not and still do not face any fungus problem with any of my photographic equipment and I have quite a few fairly expansive pieces too.

I only keep those equipment I no longer use, such as film cameras and their lens, in my dry cabinets. None of my digital stuff are kept in dry cabinet at all as I use them on and off. Opening dry cabinet often makes it difficult to maintain its low humidity. I do however, let my digital camera and lens "see" sun-light often and this apparently is sufficient to keep the fungus away. From my experience, warm and dry condition is not conducive to fungus growth.

I got my M9 in September and till now it together with the lens have not seen the inside of any dry cabinet.

So dry cabinet need not be your first priority if you keep your equipment clean and dry most of the time.

Hw often is consider often? Once a week? Once a day?

Hw often is consider often? Once a week? Once a day?

there is no need to be scientifically exact abt this.

bottom line is that if u're keeping the parts moving, the circuit boards warm, and the equipment dry, fungus should be the least of your worry. fungus simply does not grow overnight. its the accumulated results of extended neglect.

but of course, if i bought an M9, i would want to store it in a dry cabinet even if i wasn't using it for 1 day... :bsmilie: spending power differs.