Good service on public transport?

Snowcrash

Jan 18, 2002
Western SG
Visit site
Most of the time we hear bad customer service as we want to vent our anger.

What about good service? Anyone have good experience to share regarding our bus captains, MRT staff, taxi uncles/aunties etc?

I was fortunate to meet some through the years.

Incident 1:-

I was asleep throughout on the MRT train and woke up to rush out as I had reached my destination. In my haste, i forgot that i had left a waist pouch containing my prosumer digital camera. (when DSLR is still above 2k). The train door closes and it's too late for me to retrieve it.

Immediately I went to the control room and told the MRT staff there what happened. He reacted quickly and contacted the staff at the next station to assist.

What's the odds that I am able to get back my waist pouch?

Glad to say, I managed to get it back. Why? the staff at the next stop rushed up to catch the train and radio back for me to collect it there.:thumbsup:

I don't think it's usual for them go out of the way to assist. They could just "entertain me" to report to lost and found, or give reasons that other passenger would have pick it up blar blar blar etc.

Last edited:
i always feel very grateful to the bus uncles/aunties who see me running for the bus and wait.

a lot of people, i notice, never thank the driver when that happens.

this is how it is in singapore - i make it a point to thank them for bothering to care about a running maniac who doesn't want to wait for the next bus.

got this very young SBS driver that will "welcome~!" and "thank you for traveling with SBS~!", when people alight...

although its not new.. in USA and in europe its quite common...
BUT
its really nice to see this in my own country singapore..

always room for improvement and just being friendly..

a smile from a driver, will translate into so much more as the chain of good feeling is passed on~!!

There's this particular SMRT bus driver, who's been frequently driving bus 169 for at least the past 5 years. He greets every passenger who comes onboard his bus.

:thumbsup:

Yes, and to :thumbsup: to those bus captains who will look you in the eye, greet you and you know they really hope you have a "GOOD" morning ahead. Remember they are probably starting a long 12 hour shift...

i think it also works both ways.. thats why when i get on the bus i will try to like thank you uncle.. especially if he waited for me and didn't drive off~!!

or if i run, then i will always say xie xie uncle.. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

courtesy begets courtesy~!!

(just tat sometimes people step all over you in order to prove that they know more than you)
hopefully this forum will have more people tat oso know how to be courteous..

Met a lot of friendly bus drivers as well. I take bus but without knowing where to stop a number of times. Bus drivers were usually eager to assist. Tell me how many stops more, tell me how long it would take and even offering to call me when reach my stop alr. Kudos to these drivers:thumbsup:

Incident 2

I was carrying a toddler (below 2) and boarded a bus. The preferred seats are all occupied although there is still plenty of standing room. Most passengers are either asleep or listening to music, messaging and did not notice me.

The bus captain ask politely if anyone willing to give up a seat for me.:)
A gentlemen that looked above 40s gave up his seat for me after that.

The bus captain confirmed I'm seated via the rear mirror before he drive off.

Throughout the journey, I noticed he would wait for the elderly that just come on board to be seated first before he drive away from the bus stop.

i always feel very grateful to the bus uncles/aunties who see me running for the bus and wait.

this is how it is in singapore - i make it a point to thank them for bothering to care about a running maniac who doesn't want to wait for the next bus.

Reminds me of when I saw this guy running for the bus from a traffic light and the bus just went to the bus stop and waited a little while, and just as the guy was about to reach the bus stop, the bus drove off.

I've also met friendly drivers though, those who smile at you when you enter. Also remember that it is not always the bus driver who sees you running and waits for you, sometimes it may be another commuter who informs the driver that someone else is running for the bus. I've done that once :)

There's this particular SMRT bus driver, who's been frequently driving bus 169 for at least the past 5 years. He greets every passenger who comes onboard his bus.

when i'm in secondary school 15 years back, there's this indian bus driver driving bus no 107 from serangoon central to shenton way would do the same thing also

yes .. 169 driver, he always put on a smile on his face and greet every passengers that boarded the bus. for the past few years i have been taking 169 with him driving, he never fail to greet the passengers.

btw, he look abit like Jet Li. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I would get a shock (a few times already) when a bus driver greeted me. Not ready for a reaction, I would just smile back blur blur. lol

I would get a shock (a few times already) when a bus driver greeted me. Not ready for a reaction, I would just smile back blur blur. lol

haha I would agree with you, the first time, I also got a shock. But now more drivers are greeting passengers, so become more seasoned liao. But the best part is many passengers are thanking the drivers before dropping off. I'll say "Well Done" to all the nice drivers.

Incident 3

I was on the a chartered bus (SMRT) that travel from one shopping centre to another.
It's the last trip and only my family were on board. Chat with the driver during the journey.

As my place was close to the end point (Shopping centre in the west) , he offered to drop us off at my place. He was going back to the depot anyway so he don't mind to take a detour.

:thumbsup:

yes. u r doing the right thing.

now i sometimes wave my hand to those cars who stop for me at the zebra crossing... because nowadays there are quite a number of cars who don't stop ... so for those who did, i show them that they are being appreciated.

a girl was killed last year because one f**king idiot didn't stop his trunk at the zebra crossing near my place.