Going To Beijing

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Phildate

I'm off to China soon and was wondering whether anyone had any advice on a couple of things:

1. Photographing the Great Wall. Yup, I know it's going to be cold but I really want to go and see and take pics. Any areas more photogenic/less busy than others?

2. Buying equipment in Beijing. How do prices compare in PRC to those in Singapore. In particular thinking about getting the 18-200 VR as I don't think I'll be able to get it before the trip.

U can try

- Wen Yu He 温瑜河 (It's ard 5-6 ring and shld cost u abt RMB50-60 taxi fare from where u are stayin) - can see pic of the place here
Just to add, there is a horse ranch here but u may need their permission.

- Chao Yang Gong Yuan 朝阳公园 (near where u stay) can see pics here

Phildate said:
I'm off to China soon and was wondering whether anyone had any advice on a couple of things:

1. Photographing the Great Wall. Yup, I know it's going to be cold but I really want to go and see and take pics. Any areas more photogenic/less busy than others?

2. Buying equipment in Beijing. How do prices compare in PRC to those in Singapore. In particular thinking about getting the 18-200 VR as I don't think I'll be able to get it before the trip.
Was there on 27/12/05. You may need to go in the early in the morning, less people. However, being cold, I do not think a lot of people will be there. I was not able to reach the top (4th tower). Leg no oil, so come down after reaching the 2nd tower :( . No nice photo from the top :cry: . Now need to train up. Must go again. There are a total of 4 towers. 1st 2 tower make up 2/3 of the length to go up. If possible bring a 10-20mm or 12-24mm lens along. Too many lanses can weight you down. Try to be as light as you can so that you can reach the top. Below are the photos:

GW1.jpg

Use a D70 with Nikon 18-200mm VR at 90mm. Taken at 1/2 way to 1st tower.

GW2.jpg

Nikon 18-200mm VR at 200mm. Taken at the base.

GW3.jpg

Tokina 12-24mm at 12mm. Taken at 2nd tower.

Status
Not open for further replies.