Going to Bali oh! Please recommend lens!

Status
Not open for further replies.

babykailan

Sep 5, 2006
Singapore
autarkic.org
Hi all!

I will be going to Bali for the first time next week, any good, economical wide-angled lenses to recommend? I suppose I will be taking more landscape shots and sunsets !!!

My eqpt currently :

1. 300D
2. Kit lens with Hoya CP
3. 50mm f/1.8

Should suffice? I intend to go on a shoe-string budget so a second-hand lens is alright with me. Any advice / techniques? Food? Or places to stay... your experiences will be GREAT too! :)

Me newbie so do bear with me hor. :)

Hi all!

I will be going to Bali for the first time next week, any good, economical wide-angled lenses to recommend? I suppose I will be taking more landscape shots and sunsets !!!

My eqpt currently :

1. 300D
2. Kit lens with Hoya CP
3. 50mm f/1.8

Should suffice? I intend to go on a shoe-string budget so a second-hand lens is alright with me. Any advice / techniques? Food? Or places to stay... your experiences will be GREAT too! :)

Your kit lens. Good economical wide angle.

Place to stay: Aston Hotel if on a tight budget. Intercontinental for a looser budget. Sunrise can be pretty early. Sunset is spectacular at many places, depending on ur itenary. Bring camera if ur going to Jimbarang beach for seafood dinner. Most of all, enjoy urself there, don't be too caught up with photography; it's a wonderful place to be at.

yeah ur kit is good enough. alternatively i chose to use the tokina 19-35mm. it is not as sharp at the kit lens (but sharp enough for 8 x 12 prints or larger), but it doesnt suffer from horrible corners like the kit lens does. in addition, colour and contrast on the tokina is much better than the kit. :)

wow i didn't know 'shoe-string' budget would equate to $1.5k + :bigeyes:

I would take the kit lens and your 50mm (nice for lower light) and spend the money on a lightweight travel tripod - you can get a nice tripod & head for a few hundred dollars. Plenty of threads on the subject. Benro has tripod/head combos from a few hundred SGD which can easily take the weight of your kit (John 3:16 Alan Photo, TK Foto...) but there are loads of other travel options.

If the worst happens and your kit just can't go wide enough for the landscape you want you can use your tripod and stitch the pics together. Just a thought...

No need any more lens. Save your money for good light tripod and mabbe cable release.... ;)
Enjoy!

Hi all!

My eqpt currently :

1. 300D
2. Kit lens with Hoya CP
3. 50mm f/1.8

wah! thanks guys. sounds sweet to my ears!
let's say i *may* have the chance to kapok a tripod from a friend FOC and want to get a wide-angled lens... got good ones to recommend? not for only the purpose of this trip lah but for future use, for keeps!

Landscape?

2 things: Wide Angle + Big DOF

1) Wide angle = your kit lens
Your kit lens can go to 18mm which translate to a nice 28mm FOV which is good enuff. Dont worry too much about the performance because....

2) Big DOF = Small aperture
... you are shooting at small aperture. You should be aiming for around F8 to F16. Dont stop down anymore because IQ will drop due to diffraction. F11, F16 should be your sweet point. You do not really to pay top dollar to get L lens as most lenses perform around the same at small aperture.

But with small aperture, comes long exposure time... esp at sunrise sunset. What you need is a tripod and a remote release. Having used a 300D, get the hacked firmware and enable mirror lockup when you shoot long exposure. This will help you get good sharp photos.

If you intend to shoot sunsets, I would bring my tele besides the kit lens instead of the 50mm... to shoot this

166152358_a7e83cf6e6.jpg

eqpt:-
Will recommend Tamron 18-200 super zoom, price & performance very good ..
Places:-
Beside Kuta beach, Ubud is a very nice place, price is cheaper then kuta .. (Bali used to be my annual holiday place for last 3 yrs till now) .. food is cheap & good, Made Warung (kuta & Seminyak) cater to mostly tourist but prices still reasonable, if you go for the sea and wave, try staying near the beach, highend htl like Hardrock, Mercure are good, more econ like Kuta Seaview, etc. in Ubud you can get massage & spa (decent one la) abt 15 SGD/hr.
But just words of caution ... avoid too much "ang moh" place during this period ... notice they like to set off bomb during the Hari-raya period so be more alert ..(the coffee shop that I used to have breakfast daily which don't hv alot of ang mo also was bomded that last time, maybe the reason why I stop going there ..)
These days, more "happening" moving north to Seminyak & Legian areas (pub, shops, etc) may want to explore there ..

Have fun ... it is a great fun place with fun and friendly people ..

Hi all!

My eqpt currently :

1. 300D
2. Kit lens with Hoya CP
3. 50mm f/1.8

eqpt:-
Will recommend Tamron 18-200 super zoom, price & performance very good ..
Places:-
Beside Kuta beach, Ubud is a very nice place, price is cheaper then kuta .. (Bali used to be my annual holiday place for last 3 yrs till now) .. food is cheap & good, Made Warung (kuta & Seminyak) cater to mostly tourist but prices still reasonable, if you go for the sea and wave, try staying near the beach, highend htl like Hardrock, Mercure are good, more econ like Kuta Seaview, etc. in Ubud you can get massage & spa (decent one la) abt 15 SGD/hr.
But just words of caution ... avoid too much "ang moh" place during this period ... notice they like to set off bomb during the Hari-raya period so be more alert ..(the coffee shop that I used to have breakfast daily which don't hv alot of ang mo also was bomded that last time, maybe the reason why I stop going there ..)
These days, more "happening" moving north to Seminyak & Legian areas (pub, shops, etc) may want to explore there ..

Have fun ... it is a great fun place with fun and friendly people ..

sorry for being naive.
do yu think it is safe to go to Bali?
i plan to go there with my family but this year, but ... :dunno: :dunno:

imagine the odd of having meet these "crazy" people on the same day (once in avg 2 yrs), same venus (thousand and one places you can go, the choice is so unpreditable esp. the last one, used to think is only those Ang Mo places), same time (maybe say some 5-10 mins slot when the bomb set off) .. if you work that odd and it still happen ... then it is the same as hoping to stike first prize of this coming TOTO .. ???

the stretch from kuta to seminyak is pretty nice for a sunset shot, especially around the spot outside of the semaya. if u travel further up that same stretch of coast north towards canggu and tanah lot that's not too bad too.

the timing for sunset starts from about 6.30pm to 6.45pm and the window of oppurtunity for that is small at this time of year as the sun falls below the horizon pretty quick.

try to find out from the locals as to when and where there are ceremonies, they make interesting photo oppurtunities.

if u do go up to ubud, try going into the royal peta mahal, four seasons resort and maya ubud. they've got nice vistas looking into the valley and the agung river.

Kit lens should be sharp enough for wide scene with small aparture. Get a tele. Sigma 70-300mm serve your need if cost is main concern.

sorry for being naive.
do yu think it is safe to go to Bali?
i plan to go there with my family but this year, but ... :dunno: :dunno:
7 years ago my wife was dreaming of me taking her to Bali. 'Twas darn expensive back then so that kind of put me off :embrass:

Now, it's pretty cheap. What with a budget airline flying there to boot. But she doesn't want to now. No thanks to those morons who ruined it all. Haiz.

I *still* wanna go there though.. have seen so many wonderful pics. Hopefully... one day... we'll set foot and take lots of photos to share. :)

:Later,

If you go to Uluwatu to shoot sunset & watch the dance, watch out for the monkeys. Had my glasses snatched there.

If you go to Uluwatu to shoot sunset & watch the dance, watch out for the monkeys. Had my glasses snatched there.

oh yes. aware of those @#$@#$ monkeys. a lot of my friends kena there also.

thanks all for your precious insights and tips!

babykailan,
I just got back from Bali last week. I mainly use my wide angle lens (EF17-40 f/4.0) than zoom lens. Oh! Good idea to get C-PL filter as (last week la) the sky was blue and low fluffy clouds. Cud use the filter to bring out the details on the clouds. If you have ND (1 stop will do) filter should be good too as it was sunny and bright during midday.

Also I end up using Ixus 800 IS a lot too! (as it was easy to use and I get wat i want easier...) :)

Hi all!

My eqpt currently :

1. 300D
2. Kit lens with Hoya CP
3. 50mm f/1.8

Status
Not open for further replies.