Getting Pixma Pro-100 Printer

bookwormm

Jun 8, 2010
Hello fellow CS-ers, I'm considering to get the printer (especially when there's an ongoing deal) but there are a few considerations on my mind that I'd like to have your opinions. I am shooting as an hobbyist and I have been wanting to print and hang my images on my extremely plain wall.

My considerations are:

1) Getting a printer (costs: printer $350 + ink $150) VS Getting images printed
I have tried printing with my document printer previously and as expected, I puked quite a bit of blood when the colours are all off. However if I do get the printer, I don't see myself printing every other day that's for sure and here comes the issue on inks drying up. Cost wise, which is recommended?

2) Ink replacement, cost
The original set of ink is bloody expensive even when on discount, but luckily there is an alternative to use ink from Precision Colors. There are apparently some negative rumours on using these 3rd party peripherals. On machine maintenance, which action is recommended?

3) Any Pixma Pro-100 owners around? Please share your experience and thoughts on this printer!

That's all I can think of now, thanks for reading (and commenting) everyone, have a good day!

Your biggest worry for photo printers is the print head getting clogged up. The suggested action is to print at least once a month. And when you switch between matt and glossy paper, the printer has to switch black inks, so you will lose some ink there. While some swear by certain brands of 3rd party inks, I personally have not found one in Singapore that does not cause problems. Common problems with 3rd party inks is clogging of the print heads. You will have a big headache on your hands once your print head get clogged up. You will waste a lot of time effort and ink, cleaning the heads.

Clogged up print heads, big headache indeed. Thanks DD123 for your advice!!

I had the printer for more than a year. I never had clogged heads even when i re-started my printing after leaving it for 6 months or so. I can safely say that Canon's printer technology has evolved,

I eventually sold it because i didn't have time for printing nowadays.

Print head clogging isn't the problem with Canon print head technology if you are using genuine ink. You need to factor in the print media in the print cost as well. The cost to have a good print is actually cost more that you expected.

To own a Pixma Pro-100 doesn't guarantee you for a good print. You need to have some idea of color management knowledge and calibration/calibrated hardware, eg Colormunki/Spyder, calibrated monitor, paper profile, ...etc, post processing and some printing software knowledge to guarantee a good print.

and if you are willing to invest so much effort and money in printing then you should get a pigment-based photo printer, eg. Pro-1 instead for longevity and quality print.

Using 3rd party ink is just wasting your money for non-quality work and the color profile is harder to manage as well.

I would recommend you to get your equipment properly calibrated and send the photo for professional printing. Then you will be easier to get the expected printout from the lab and save the trouble, money and space to own the printer.

Your biggest worry for photo printers is the print head getting clogged up. The suggested action is to print at least once a month. And when you switch between matt and glossy paper, the printer has to switch black inks, so you will lose some ink there. While some swear by certain brands of 3rd party inks, I personally have not found one in Singapore that does not cause problems. Common problems with 3rd party inks is clogging of the print heads. You will have a big headache on your hands once your print head get clogged up. You will waste a lot of time effort and ink, cleaning the heads.

That's the issue for Epson printer but not for Canon printer.

I had the printer for more than a year. I never had clogged heads even when i re-started my printing after leaving it for 6 months or so. I can safely say that Canon's printer technology has evolved,

I eventually sold it because i didn't have time for printing nowadays.

Noted with thanks! I will approach you (for the peripherals) if I were to get the printer (still left with a few days to ponder over...)

Print head clogging isn't the problem with Canon print head technology if you are using genuine ink. You need to factor in the print media in the print cost as well. The cost to have a good print is actually cost more that you expected.

To own a Pixma Pro-100 doesn't guarantee you for a good print. You need to have some idea of color management knowledge and calibration/calibrated hardware, eg Colormunki/Spyder, calibrated monitor, paper profile, ...etc, post processing and some printing software knowledge to guarantee a good print.

and if you are willing to invest so much effort and money in printing then you should get a pigment-based photo printer, eg. Pro-1 instead for longevity and quality print.

Using 3rd party ink is just wasting your money for non-quality work and the color profile is harder to manage as well.

I would recommend you to get your equipment properly calibrated and send the photo for professional printing. Then you will be easier to get the expected printout from the lab and save the trouble, money and space to own the printer.

Thank you for the detailed explanation! Yup I have gotten my monitor calibrator and although my knowledge on colour management may not be as deep, I am learning. Pigment or dye-based, as a general hobbyist I feel that there are different requirements; for those who can easily afford high-end machines, those who earn a living out of prints, and a soon (debt-ridden)to be graduate student, I think I am more suited for Pro-100 if I were to get one (I'd love to lay my hands on pro-1, trust me).

From many online reviews, "pc" ink seems reliable enough but having that said, genuine ink is the way to go in order to attain the optimal prints, that I agree.

Your final advice is what places me in my current state of dilemma, now I'm thinking of the frequency of me making my own prints.
In addition, when your mom requests to get a (automatic)film camera so that she can snap and develop them into physical prints, this isn't looking good for my wallet. :bsmilie:

Print head clogging isn't the problem with Canon print head technology if you are using genuine ink. You need to factor in the print media in the print cost as well. The cost to have a good print is actually cost more that you expected. To own a Pixma Pro-100 doesn't guarantee you for a good print. You need to have some idea of color management knowledge and calibration/calibrated hardware, eg Colormunki/Spyder, calibrated monitor, paper profile, ...etc, post processing and some printing software knowledge to guarantee a good print. and if you are willing to invest so much effort and money in printing then you should get a pigment-based photo printer, eg. Pro-1 instead for longevity and quality print. Using 3rd party ink is just wasting your money for non-quality work and the color profile is harder to manage as well. I would recommend you to get your equipment properly calibrated and send the photo for professional printing. Then you will be easier to get the expected printout from the lab and save the trouble, money and space to own the printer.
What heheapa mention about the calibrated monitor AND printer calibrator are different things. Do not assume when you can calibrate your monitor, you can get your print on your printer 100% right. Price of a printer calibrator cost much more than a monitor calibrator. http://spyder.datacolor.com/portfolio-view/spyderstudio/ http://www.pantone.com/pages/pantone/category.aspx?ca=2

Last edited:
Reactions: marcyote
it will not be justifiable if you only print a couple of prints, it is the same thing like you don't expect anyone after watching a couple of Youtube video, go out buy a D810 and 24-70f2.8 can start create awesome pictures.
the truth is it will take a lot of learning and practices over a long period just to master the craft.

if you only want to print out some of your own work for display, send it out is still the cheaper solution.

btw, do take note the cost of custom framing is also very expensive, usually cost two to three times more than the prints itself, if you are looking for archive quality matte and framing, it will cost even more.
the cheaper solution is just buy ready-made frames from IKEA.

What heheapa mention about the calibrated monitor AND printer calibrator are different things. Do not assume when you can calibrate your monitor, you can get your print on your printer 100% right. Price of a printer calibrator cost much more than a monitor calibrator. http://spyder.datacolor.com/portfolio-view/spyderstudio/ http://www.pantone.com/pages/pantone/category.aspx?ca=2

Yup, thanks for the reminder! I guess I still have a long way to reach that level of preciseness!

it will not be justifiable if you only print a couple of prints, it is the same thing like you don't expect anyone after watching a couple of Youtube video, go out buy a D810 and 24-70f2.8 can start create awesome pictures.
the truth is it will take a lot of learning and practices over a long period just to master the craft.

if you only want to print out some of your own work for display, send it out is still the cheaper solution.

btw, do take note the cost of custom framing is also very expensive, usually cost two to three times more than the prints itself, if you are looking for archive quality matte and framing, it will cost even more.
the cheaper solution is just buy ready-made frames from IKEA.

Now that it make sense after some calculation. I guess I will need to fill my entire house before the cost justifies :bsmilie:
I suppose I will be better off spending that money on trips for now!

Thanks everyone for your kind input!!