G10 or LX3

Status
Not open for further replies.

tanandrew

Apr 14, 2008
Singapore
Hi all , wonder can help advise base on your expert which compact is worth to buy G10 or
LX3 sorry if i ask funny question i"m abit blur :embrass:

Thanks felixcat8888 thats very helpful ;)

G10 of course. I got it as a companion and it has glued to me. (can't lug around the big SLR all the time). The close up is really great, at 15Mpix, when you enlarge it, the details are impressively surprising. The built is solid than Lx3 and feel great and looks more "pro".
Shoot in Raw just about 2 second..really fast!

I would buy another G10 if I loose this one...touch wood.. ha ha.

Cheers! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

One more question if any one can help G10 and LX3 which has the better sensor,today i read one of the news paper article sensors is more important for the compact camera the smaller sensor the better :angel:

One more question if any one can help G10 and LX3 which has the better sensor,today i read one of the news paper article sensors is more important for the compact camera the smaller sensor the better :angel:

if any article says smaller sensor is better you should throw it away. But i guess what you're referring to is that sensors that pack less megapixels would produce better results. I don't have either camera, so this is based solely on specs.

between the G10 and LX3:

G10:
Pros
"essential" wide angle of 28mm (as compared to the G9)
great resolution
5X zoom
Rugged, well built body
Well placed dials and controls
optical viewfinder

Cons:
higher ISOs not impressive, disappointing actually
slower lens - 2.8 - 4.5 (in comparison to LX3, but for most people it wouldn't be a problem)
chunky and fat body - better to have hanging off your shoulder than in your pocket
G10 shoots VGA resolution video (this is only a con in respect to most cameras moving towards HD video)

LX3:

Pros
"ultra" wide angle of 24mm
a fast lens f2 - f2.8, not forgetting it's a badged Leica
relatively small and svelte, pocket-able (but the lens protrudes to almost the same thickness as the G10.)
HD Video 720p
High ISO handling better than G10 (from dpreview, but really not too far off)
1/1.63 sensor size
customizable aspect ratios (16:9, 4:3, 3:2)

Cons

short zoom of 2.5X or in 35mm terms, 24 - 60mm equiv (honestly too short)
Dials and menus are more cumbersome to access
no view finder

When choosing between both, each camera has pros and cons that make them both high contenders in anyone's choice of a compact camera. It boils down to what YOU want from it.

In my opinion, i want a small compact camera that's good for general landscapes (24 or 28mm is fine, 24mm is a bonus), High ISO handling, fast lens, HD video (bonus for me) and it has to have manual functions. If someone gave me either, i would be happy and probably not dump it for the other. This shows how little difference it would make once you actually decide on one. But since i'm starting from a clean slate here, i'd take the LX3.

Why so? ground breaking lens 24mm AND at f/2.0 - never before seen in a compact camera. Perfect for indoor party shots/general purpose. Great for landscapes (but bear in mind, wider does not always equate to better landscape shots.) I don't need the 5X zoom of the Canon G10, some people may.

I really love the dials on the G10, and wish maybe the LX4 could have dials for easy access to useful stuff like the G10. I also like the way the G10 is made to look like a rangefinder/vintage classic look. But in essence, these things are aesthetic.

IF i had no other camera, i will perhaps consider the G10 as my only camera. But i do, so i feel the lx3 would be a better companion to my Hexar RF.

Oh, the the LX3 has nice film modes (even a "pinhole" mode)

Okay this is just my jumble of thoughts on the matter. I've also been thinking hard about the choice. Hope it helps.

I'm also being plagued by the same question. At the moment, this is what i can summarise - as simple as i can: I would shoot the picture w LX3 and put the SD card into the G10 to show it.

G10: Excels in good lighting condition (High res). Macro & Product (High res). Good user interface. Nice physical design. Fast Processor.
LX3: For shooting in low light (2 stop advantage in ISO & Aperture). Light weight. More difficult to compose framing due to limited zoom. Can do multiple exposure & other in-camera creative modes.

G10 seems to be a 'safer' bet, people who goes for LX3 knows who they are.

Hi,

If you look at the review from dpreview, you would get a better picture....literally.

Anyway, the G10 is an excellent camera at day light condition. The details and colour it renders is unparalleled. I thought it would give some DSLR a run for their money.

However, please have a look at the high ISO comparison at dpreview (ISO400+) and you will see that in this condition, the G10 starts smearing up things. The reviewer compared it to a watercolor painting at ISO800.

At higher ISO, the LX3 does outperform the G10. Just note that being a P&S, the LX3 performance at >ISO400 is nothing compared to a DSLR with noise creeping in. But is it still better than the G10....

I would go for the Lx3 for 3 reasons, lighter, better high ISO performance and wider lens.

Thanks guy you all really give me very clear infor and i learn lots from you I think i know which want i might go for it :thumbsup:

G10 price is abt $790 to $780 so far i have found out from three store and for LX3 is abt $690 to $700:think:

Hi coffee 3in1 i still thinking very hard which want yet :think:

Hi all, today when down to MS colour to try out G10 and LX3 and i've selected LX3
as my choice of camera ,thanks to all of you who give me the infor .:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hi all, today when down to MS colour to try out G10 and LX3 and i've selected LX3
as my choice of camera ,thanks to all of you who give me the infor .:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Can share the price & accessories you got it for? Thanks!
Seriously thinking about it.

Hi dkuan88' i got it for $680/-For the LX3 with screen protector free ,get a third party adapter, filter, lowepro pouch and org panasonic battery for a reasonable price compare to other's three cramera shop i think i'm happing with that the person who serve me her name call Jessie can look for her ask for some discount :D:thumbsup:

Good for u! I've also eliminated G10 from the equation. Bcoz I seldom shoot in good lighting condition, fast lens + low noise ISO is v impt for candid shots.

I'm leaning towards the red dot version. :bsmilie: Giving myself more time to settle down first. Reasons:
+ 'Better' JPEG
+ 2 yrs warranty
+ Nice optional leather pouch (belt loop & sling)
+ Styling is more simple & elegant

Hi dkuan88' i got it for $680/-For the LX3 with screen protector free ,get a third party adapter, filter, lowepro pouch and org panasonic battery for a reasonable price compare to other's three cramera shop i think i'm happing with that the person who serve me her name call Jessie can look for her ask for some discount :D:thumbsup:

Thanks for the tip Andrew!
Poison is getting stronger...;p

Status
Not open for further replies.