Fun in the sun

Status
Not open for further replies.

roygoh

Jan 18, 2002
Northwest
Visit site
Was at a friend's place for a summer BBQ last month and took the following picture:

KB_8773.jpg

I love back lit shots and try to take some whenever the condition allows. My usual method is to position the subject in the sun in front of a background that is in the shade. The glow around the subject stands out against the darker background creating a very pleasing effect (to me at least).

In this case the bubbles and the water droplets are a real plus. The flare at the 2 corners were not intentional. I should have had a hood on my lens but I am usually too lazy to carry one around. Sometimes I feel that the flare enhances the feeling of playing in the sun, and sometimes I wished they were not there to distract me from the bubbles and the girl's expression.

How do you like this picture? Does it work for you? How would you have done it differently?

Thanks!
-Roy

Well I think in this case, I prefer not to have the flare in there. If I've been given the chance to shoot this scene, I like to take it at an angle. A bit more to the left(Picture left) and have the bubbles flying toward the camera. With a little bit more of her face showing to capture her expression.

agree w/ bluestrike
flare is distracting... and having the bubbles coming at the camera and the subject facing the camera would make a nicer pic i think

can keep the camera there to maintain the glow effect and have the subject just rotate a little

nice lighting, coupled with the dark background really made the subject pop up. but pity, there's the flare. a smiling expression would have really added to the mood of the picture. personally, i'd like to go much closer, i.e. being in front of the girl, but not directly in the line of the bubbles, and by zooming/moving in closer, i can emphasize on her expressions, and in the same time rendering some bubbles reasonably OOF.

the flare over the head really killed the photo.
Otherwise, like the rest have mentioned, more of the face and expression would be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.