Fujifilm X100S

To answer my question re: auto WB shift setting. I was trying various combi and think I may have gotten close to the colour I am looking for. Will try out in different setting to see if it work for me. Thanks to those who cracked you head over my question :)

I just got the X100S yesterday, primarily for taking kids photography. Was using a DSLR and RX100 before this. X100S's AF speed is overhyped, perhaps it's very fast when compared to X100, but when compared to my DSLR & RX100, it's way slower.

I am used to taking semi-continuous shots, so shot-to-shot speed is crucial to me. X100S had to run through its CDAF cycle almost every time i try to focus (half-press), which is quite unacceptable.

Just a side by side comparison of AF speed between RX100 and X100S in both bright & low-light conditions, if I am focusing (AF-S) something near, then far, then near again, X100S is significantly slower... so I suppose using it to try to take fast-moving kids will be quite a challenge.

Anyone care to share how you all speed up the AF? I have already turned on high performance mode, turned off silent mode. Using AF-S, A-mode.

Potential bug: have to full-press to start movie recording, but half-pressing will stop the recording.

For me, X100s is not camera (using it's AF) to take photo that require fast reaction or any subject that move fast. Another thing to note is that, in burst mode, if the subject is moving towards you, only the 1st shot will be focused (if AF managed to lock on it & accurately). If really want to use X100s to take 'action', can try zone focusing. I haven't tried that with my loaned X100s, but could captured some action shot with my aged Leica X1 using zone focus.

Last edited:
Try manual AF. Or try making the AF squares larger; I've heard that if they are small, they tend to AF slowly. I did see some improvement on my X100S. Anyhow, this camera is not for fast-moving things.

Hi, I am a proud owner of a X100s today :)

Try manual AF. Or try making the AF squares larger; I've heard that if they are small, they tend to AF slowly. I did see some improvement on my X100S. Anyhow, this camera is not for fast-moving things.

Then do you have any recommendation for cameras which can take fast moving objects (not DSLR)?

Then do you have any recommendation for cameras which can take fast moving objects (not DSLR)?

No camera is perfect expecially Mirorrless. I use own Olympus EM5 OMD, Olympus EPL-5 and some good lens before switching to X100s, X-E1 and X-Pro1 with various lens. Here are my own opinion and own experience with these cameras

OMD, EPL-5
Olympus focusing is very fast, but somehow feel that there is lag time between the focus locked and when the shutter actually capture the image. I tend not to get the focus point I aimed when taking ‘moving’ children photos. Image quality is great but the skin tone is not to my liking. I am not blaming the camera as I see people taking great photos with the same settingsm, possible that the user is at fault. I sold off both Cameras.

X100s
Few months later bought X100s. I was happy with everything that X100s provide and quite close to what you see on the online reviews. What I like most is small, total silence shutter, great skin tone and image quality in good light. Focusing although not as fast as Olympus, but when the focus is locked on target you hardly get blur images. Only flaws I don’t like about the camera is the artificial skin tone at low f-stop for indoor/night shots. The camera is also capable of good studio shots as compared to Olympus. After a while I feel that something is missing, the focus range is too rigid as I shoot anything and everything, my baby, travel, landscape, macro. Guess I’m not a 35mm fan and decided to try X-Pro1.

X-Pro1/X-E1First I bought X-Pro1 with 35mm and absolutely fall in love the image quality, DOF and camera control. Focusing with the lens isn’t very fast but the image it produce is very rewarding. It is very close to the quality of my D800 with Sigma 50mm lens. I decided then to trade my X100s off for X-E1 with 18-55mm lens. What I can say is that the camera has the same sensor and focusing mechanism as X-Pro1 and with XF18-55mm, the focusing is spot on. In my opinion its great combination for taking children photos. I sold the camera and lens to my friend to encourage him to take up photography at a good price. I have been using x-pro1 with XF35mm, XF14mm, xf60mm, XF55-200mm and could get good results too.

Please note that above is based on my limited knowledge, preference and experience. I believe other APSC, Full frame mirorrless camera are as capable also. My opinion is that if you have intention to change your camera, borrow from your friend/rent from shop to try it out first before buying. Else you will regret if they do not perform to your expectation.

Last edited:
From the 3/4 choices listed above...I would think, when matched with a fast lens, OMD and EP5 will be a possible candidate. But it will not be near mid/high range DSLR. X100s, etc...will still be possible to capture 'running kids' shot, under good lighting but miss rate may be high. Zone focusing is still best bet....hit rate will be significantly higher than to AF.

Last edited:
From the 3/4 choices listed above...I would think, when matched with a fast lens, OMD and EP5 will be a possible candidate. But it will not be near mid/high range DSLR. X100s, etc...will still be possible to capture 'running kids' shot, under good lighting but miss rate may be high. Zone focusing is still best bet....hit rate will be significantly higher than to AF.

pardon me... but how do i set zone focusing on x100s?

Go fully manual. Set a suitable shutter speed eg. 60/s, 125/s & aperture eg. 5.6, 8, 11, etc (larger aperture will have a narrower range of distance as compared to smaller ones). After that, manual focus to the range of distance you think your subject will be away from you and start shooting. The subject will be in focus as long as he or she is within range of distance.

Last edited:
Go fully manual. Set a suitable shutter speed eg. 60/s, 125/s & aperture eg. 5.6, 8, 11, etc (larger aperture will have a narrower range of distance as compared to smaller ones). After that, manual focus to the range of distance you think your subject will be away from you and start shooting. The subject will be in focus as long as he or she is within range of distance.

i see... i thought it's an auto function... too pampered by my DSLR and RX100 haha...

I'm just guilty. I usually leave it at AF unless the circumstances ask for anything other than AF.

New member to the fuji x100s family... this camera is what I really wanted as a street photographer.... Now intending to get the wide conversion lens to go with it

hi guys, im eyeing on buying x100s for portraits. am also a canon dslr user with some lenses as investment. im trying to look into x100s or x-pro1 for portraits. hesitation is i will go switch and then back to the same old buying lenses for it. so i dunno if it's worth it to jump ship. but so far i have notice that fuji's lenses are way cheaper than dslr lenses minus the weight.
im into portraits with studio light, ambient and some candid, that's it. maybe slowly doing some landscape shot while doing travelling. so hence please give me advise about fuji. some more convincing then maybe i will jump ship slowly.
BTW im on FF

hi guys, im eyeing on buying x100s for portraits. am also a canon dslr user with some lenses as investment. im trying to look into x100s or x-pro1 for portraits. hesitation is i will go switch and then back to the same old buying lenses for it. so i dunno if it's worth it to jump ship. but so far i have notice that fuji's lenses are way cheaper than dslr lenses minus the weight.
im into portraits with studio light, ambient and some candid, that's it. maybe slowly doing some landscape shot while doing travelling. so hence please give me advise about fuji. some more convincing then maybe i will jump ship slowly.
BTW im on FF

came from 5D2 and a whole bunch of lenses to an xpro1/xe1. image quality and iso control wise it's excellent, I have not felt like i needed to head back to my 5D ever. The weight plays a major factor, I can carry 4 lenses and 2 bodies and still not feel the weight even after a whole day of traveling. The only thing I miss are the video capabilities and the AF, although it doesn't bother me much.

came from 5D2 and a whole bunch of lenses to an xpro1/xe1. image quality and iso control wise it's excellent, I have not felt like i needed to head back to my 5D ever. The weight plays a major factor, I can carry 4 lenses and 2 bodies and still not feel the weight even after a whole day of traveling. The only thing I miss are the video capabilities and the AF, although it doesn't bother me much.

Sorry for double post

Last edited:

Im also on 5d2 haha with lenses from 17-40, 24-105, 85 to 70-200 and d weight carrying all is a pain. I rarely shoot landscape and purely on portraits to candid. And i dunno if x100s will suffice it

Im also on 5d2 haha with lenses from 17-40, 24-105, 85 to 70-200 and d weight carrying all is a pain. I rarely shoot landscape and purely on portraits to candid. And i dunno if x100s will suffice it

Take your 5D2 and 1740, fix the focal length at around 35mm and shoot for a couple of weeks w/o changing lens or focal length. See if you are comfortable with the focal length for everything. I know a lot guys can live w/ that (especially those from Lecia camp). If you are okay w/ that, then the X100s would be very ideal. If you still want full frame's lowlight capability and DR, can think about the Sony RX1, but that one is gonna cost you at least two X100s.

Another way to try out is to get a second hand X100s and play for a couple of weeks, maybe even bring out for a trip and see if you miss the 5D2. If don't like it, can let go w/o much loss.

Me myself, I still want the flexibility of changing lenses when need to, but in a much smaller package than a full sized dSLR, that's where the XE1 or XPro1 come in handy. Can't keep them all, so I opted for XE1. I was fine w/ the XE1+35/1.4 alone for a few outings, now just wait for the 23/1.4, which plus the XE1 would make an X100s in a slightly bigger package.

Last edited:
Take your 5D2 and 1740, fix the focal length at around 35mm and shoot for a couple of weeks w/o changing lens or focal length. See if you are comfortable with the focal length for everything. I know a lot guys can live w/ that (especially those from Lecia camp). If you are okay w/ that, then the X100s would be very ideal. If you still want full frame's lowlight capability and DR, can think about the Sony RX1, but that one is gonna cost you at least two X100s.

Another way to try out is to get a second hand X100s and play for a couple of weeks, maybe even bring out for a trip and see if you miss the 5D2. If don't like it, can let go w/o much loss.

Me myself, I still want the flexibility of changing lenses when need to, but in a much smaller package than a full sized dSLR, that's where the XE1 or XPro1 come in handy. Can't keep them all, so I opted for XE1. I was fine w/ the XE1+35/1.4 alone for a few outings, now just wait for the 23/1.4, which plus the XE1 would make an X100s in a slightly bigger package.
great tip. i'll try that out. But honestly i was using 50mm for quite some time, so i think i'll be just fine with 35mm.

Anyone wants to sell off their WCL-X100? :)