Fujifilm X100S

Quote from MSColor and Click!cameras is between $1530 to $1550
Just wondering if should wait till Comex in september.
Maybe the price will drop by then?
Thanks bro. I'm comparing prices between new and used. If only a difference of $100-150, I would get it new. Anyway, I can also wait till Sep. :)

still got stocks?

Bought the X100s. Turns out, for all its hype, it is not a thing for me.

Pros:
Just google X100s. Pretty much every post on the x100s mentions its pros and only the pros. I used it, they are NOT lying, the pros are definitely true.
Just to list some...
Weight, AF speed, film filters, embedded ND filter, leaf shutter, hybrid view finder, awesome jpegs, x-trans sensor, high dynamic range, retro design (luv it).
The ones that really matter to me and that I like in particular...
1) Leaf shutter
2) Weight and super silent shutter
3) Jpeg processing is amazing if you compare between similar mp camera.
4) Split screen focus peaking

Cons:
1) Soft wide open at close focusing distance. Sure, many people claim that it is not designed for macro use anyway, and that users should stop down for close ups. But even at 1:5 magnification, i see the same softness, which only gets worse the closer I go. I tried 2 copies, same problem. Also, I'm spoilt by sigma's 35mm. zomg... (of course, apples and oranges. Ahaha)
2) Huge raw files at 33mb. (I might as well use a D800) This is definitely meant for jpeg shooting.
3) Awkward controls (cannot operate with one hand comfortably like I can with a dlsr. It forces you to slow down, think and adjust the knobs with the second hand, which I can see is one of the appeals of rangefinders in the first place.) When traveling, my second hand is usually occupied with food and what not, so comfortable one hand operation is important for me. Update: Ok, if I position the camera against a surface (wall, table, torso), I can move the aperture wheel with one hand. Not all is loss.
4) OVF shows too much, need to get used to framing it within the defined box (This may be by design, but personally, I don't like it) Update: I realized that its by design, to provide buffer for the reposition of the grid when focusing close. This is to account for the different axis between the lens and the ovf.
5) The wheel is too sensitive. When I try to zoom into various parts of the photo, I end up changing to a different photo cuz the wheel turns.
6) Lens hood...... -.-

No doubt, it has its legion of fans. I'm just here to offer my opinion as a seasoned dslr user. Besides caveat 1) which is pretty much the deal breaker for me, everything else is more a matter of personal preference anyway, so ymmv. But, for a $1.5k gadget that has been touted to be 'the camera that ends all cameras', I definitely want it rock in every way possible. No matter, hopefully, this will help someone make a more informed decision.

Last edited:

Pros:
Just google X100s. Pretty much every post on the x100s mentions its pros and only the pros. I used it, they are NOT lying, the pros are definitely true.
Just to list some...
Weight, AF speed, film filters, embedded ND filter, leaf shutter, hybrid view finder, awesome jpegs, x-trans sensor, high dynamic range, retro design (luv it).
1) Leaf shutter

Cons:
1) Soft wide open at close focusing distance. Sure, many people claim that it is not designed for macro use anyway, and that users should stop down for close ups. But even at 1:5 magnification, i see the same softness, which only gets worse the closer I go. I tried 2 copies, same problem. Also, I'm spoilt by sigma's 35mm. zomg... (of course, apples and oranges. Ahaha)
2) Huge raw files at 33mb. (I might as well use a D800) This is definitely meant for jpeg shooting.
3) Awkward controls (cannot operate with one hand comfortably like I can with a dlsr. It forces you to slow down, think and adjust the knobs with the second hand, which I can see is one of the appeals of rangefinders in the first place.) When traveling, my second hand is usually occupied with food and what not, so comfortable one hand operation is important for me. Update: Ok, if I position the camera against a surface (wall, table, torso), I can move the aperture wheel with one hand. Not all is loss.
4) OVF shows too much, need to get used to framing it within the defined box (This may be by design, but personally, I don't like it) Update: I realized that its by design, to provide buffer for the reposition of the grid when focusing close. This is to account for the different axis between the lens and the ovf.
5) The wheel is too sensitive. When I try to zoom into various parts of the photo, I end up changing to a different photo cuz the wheel turns.
6) Lens hood...... -.-

No doubt, it has its legion of fans. I'm just here to offer my opinion as a seasoned dslr user. Besides caveat 1) which is pretty much the deal breaker for me, everything else is more a matter of personal preference anyway, so ymmv. But, for a $1.5k gadget that has been touted to be 'the camera that ends all cameras', I definitely want it rock in every way possible. No matter, hopefully, this will help someone make a more informed decision.

Similar here. Thanks for the sharing. For all the strengths any camera has , ending up our shooting habits matter most.

I started off having x100 vs x10 (I chose x10) to x100s vs x20 ( and I chose x20 again) and I've no regrets at all :)

End of the day having a fixed focal length was too restrictive for me even though I know the x100s clearly bests the x20 in terms of IQ.

Pros:
Just to list some...
1) Leaf shutter

Cons:
6) Lens hood...... -.-

Sold my X100 after tried the GR for exactly same reasons (con 1,2, 3,5 and 6). I feel GR is a perfect company for a dSLR.

But if I don't keep or have a dSLR camera, I probably would get a X100s for all it's merits :)

Pros:
Just to list some...
1) Leaf shutter

Cons:
6) Lens hood...... -.-

Great user review. I am still deciding if I will get one. Your review allow me to see 'the other side' of camera from a user point of view. My other concern is reliability. Think I shall wait and see a little while more before decide if I will buy one or give it a miss.

Great user review. I am still deciding if I will get one. Your review allow me to see 'the other side' of camera from a user point of view. My other concern is reliability. Think I shall wait and see a little while more before decide if I will buy one or give it a miss.

His review is valid but in perspective of someone who has not use mirrorless camera before. You should see review from seasoned mirorrless or dslr and mirorrless user perspective also.

Last edited:
His review is valid but in perspective of someone who has not use mirrorless camera before. You should see review from seasoned mirorrless or dslr and mirorrless user perspective also.

No doubt he was speaking from a DSLR user point of view but it is refreshing & offered another perspective of the camera than the usual praises we read online. Surely no camera can be perfect so it is good to know the 'bad', be it user's fault or camera's.

Btw, I have a few questions for Fujiflm X-series users. Hope you can share with me your experiences.

a) How is Fujiflm X-series reliabilty in general as compared to other competitors eg. Panasonic, Sony, Olympus, etc? Asking cos I came across threads here & other forums about some fairly new cameras that need to be sent to Fujiflm service centre for some kind of repair (minor or major),

b) For those who has used Leica X1/X2 for some time, whom also own X100/X100s. What is your take on the image quality between the 2 brand? (Technology eg. AF, features, etc Fujiflm X100/X100s will win Leica hands down).

Last edited:
I am now trying out a X100s, on loan. Just thought I will share my personal experience so far (after 3 days & going) & how it compares to the ancient Leica X1. This is purely from my point view & nothing too technical and definitely not scientific.

Build quality - it feels good and solid. Only question mark is the silver paint. Doesn't feel like it will withstand normal user marks/scratch well. If i have to nickpick, Leica X1 feels marginally better built, particularly the painted surface. Overall impressive.

Menu - X100s' is messy as compared to Leica's X1. But the Q menu help somewhat.

AF - This is a 'big' surprise to me. I have always thought X100s AF is much much quicker than Leica X1. Although it is fast, it wasn't miles ahead of the aged Leica. In good lighting both are almost as quick as each other. Under low light, it is a hit & miss for both. On some occasion, X100s lock on faster while Leica X1 was faster in other times. Leica X1, though slightly slower, seems to lock on more accurately than X100s. Overall X100s is faster...thus better than X1.

Image quality - Have not have much time to sit down and have a good look at it. But from my casual observation so far, both seems to be equally good.

So this is it for now. Will try to squeeze out some time to try the X100s more before deciding if I'll get one myself.

Last edited:
this is a camera that you either hate or love. I use dslr for many years plus some mirror less. When I read bout x100, it has a lot of problem with the quirks etc, but lot people say that this camera has a special characteristic that make you love them. I took the shoot, and oh well, my dslr has been sitting for 2 years in dry box. I love x100 so much even with the problems it has. I am not sure why, but shooting with x100 is very rewarding, i really love the jpeg. They are wonderful, light and easy to carry then i upgrade to x100s. I still has my x100. Trying to sell it, but in the end i will just keep it and pass it to my relative.

My opinion is, if you shoot mainly sports or keep zooming then this is not camera for you. It has all the problem that other people say, but even with those i still love this camera.

So either you love it or hate it.

I share your sentiment. I think those who cross over from film, leica, etc...should also find X100s attractive. But those who do the switch from DSLR, etc may take a while to warm up to it...or simply hate it.

I guess the 'special characteristics' are the good (retro) looks and being able to connect with the camera cos users are 'forced' to take it slow, smell the roses and understand the camera better. Like you said, X100s is definitely not for everyone and not for all purpose. Like Leica, X100s belongs to a niche segment and I suppose, like Leica...the 'bad' will become the 'good'. In the case of Leica, the lack of extras (low tech) = simplicity, focused, pure and without distraction :D

I may be a little bias here (even tho I am pretty sure I am being objective), I find the Leica's colour to be slightly better than X100s. But I don't think the very, very small difference between the two is a big deal and it is purely personal. For current Leica X1/X2 owners, making the switch to X100s may not make much sense (except for the temptation of GAS). But for everyone else, I feel X100s should be the better choice if they have to choose between X100s and Leica X2 (unless they really like the red-dot). You will get a camera that is equally competent as the X2, for just under half the price.

the x100 and x100s brings the joy into photography again, and along with it, some exasperation because it is not perfect. i feel more emotive when using it compared to a DSLR, which, i would say, is more "sterile". The x series cant do everything, but when u got a good capture, the result is really good..

the x100 and x100s brings the joy into photography again, and along with it, some exasperation because it is not perfect. i feel more emotive when using it compared to a DSLR, which, i would say, is more "sterile". The x series cant do everything, but when u got a good capture, the result is really good..

Yeah, this is what i feel. It bring the joys back. For 2 years after I bought x100, I never go to camera website looking for news on new products or etc.
It stop me from having the urge to upgrade till x100s came.

And i shots a lot more photos with x100.

hate it or love it :)

I share your sentiment. I think those who cross over from film, leica, etc...should also find X100s attractive. But those who do the switch from DSLR, etc may take a while to warm up to it...or simply hate it.

I switched from dslr. So i guess it is really up to individual.

Definitely an individual choice. People do move from 1 system to another. I just think the learning curve may be steeper for some DSLR users, especially those who are 'speed demon' type to adapt to a slower & more measured manner.

Btw, do anyone of you find, when using auto WB, there is a little 'cool' shade in the overall colour, making it somewhat 'flat'? What kind of Auto WB setting did you choose to get a warmer & more 'Pop out' look?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: