Fujifilm X-Pro1 : First Impressions at the Singapore Launch

hopefully the super wide angle lenses are distortion free.

has anyone gotten one from Japan yet?

really "posionous".. i cant help myself to open up my piggy bank for this new toy. ;(
im wondering should i get both 18mm and 35mm.. or wait for 14mm..

the 18mm is quite soft at 100% view. but i prefer this focal length to the 35mm. hmm..

Can't wait to get this setup too!

the 18mm is quite soft at 100% view. but i prefer this focal length to the 35mm. hmm..

I'm bringing it for travelling, i am worrying 35mm is too tight for landscape... althought I like 35mm alot. soo confused.. haha

35mm is never too tight for landscape. i sometimes use my 70-200 for landscape also depending on what you wish to capture.

however the 35mm on the x-pro1 will be 52.5mm on 35mm equiv. the 18mm on the x-pro1 is 27mm which is somewhat my focal length next to 35mm.

zzyzx said:
35mm is never too tight for landscape. i sometimes use my 70-200 for landscape also depending on what you wish to capture.

however the 35mm on the x-pro1 will be 52.5mm on 35mm equiv. the 18mm on the x-pro1 is 27mm which is somewhat my focal length next to 35mm.

Well, it would certainly depend how near and how far your subject is.

the camera n the lens sold separately?

There is usually a lot of buzz and excitement around the launch of any new product, and this is no different around the Fujifilm X-Pro1. Having attended the launch, and learning more about the development of the X-Pro1, I'm even more excited about Fujifilm's new X-mount and XF lenses. I'm a little disappointed about the lack of really fast f/1.4 lenses in the roadmap... and zooms limited to f/4, but one must consider the inevitable size of fast primes (f/1.4) or fast zooms (f/2.8). As a prime shooter, I will actually very contented with the fast 18mmf/2, 23mmf/2, and 35mmf/1.4 lenses, covering 28-35-50 on the 35mm equivalent... Fujinon Aspherical Lens Super EBC, no less!! That's my first reason why I will get this camera.

The new X-Trans CMOS sensor and EXR processor pro are the second reason. The "removal" of moiré without the need of an OLPF helps retain the high resolution in the image without any interference or contamination from moiré.

If you were to ask photo buffs what Fujifilm is known for, you would probably get 1) Fantastic Fujinon lenses, 2) Super sensors (SuperCCD, EXR), and 3) Instax mini... okay, not quite Instax, but the third selling point of the X-Pro1 is the compact size of the new mirrorless camera. While it might not be able to fit into your pants pocket and larger than many of the other mirror cameras, but it will likely not make your neck or shoulder ache from a day of shooting...

To me, combining these 3 elements, gives the main value proposition of the Fujifilm X-Pro1. Of course, this is not to say that this is a winner for everyone, and it still has its drawbacks... not that it really needs repeating, but there is no perfect camera / system. I can already see people commenting on the shutter lag, live view lag, OVF, the manual focus assist, RAF format, aperture ring, focusing ring, distance markings, price... some are because of differences in expectations, but different people will weigh these differently.

It may be a little early to conclude the success / failure of the Fujifilm X-Pro1. But just as Fujifilm bet on their 6MP SuperCCD while the competitors were off to the megapixel race in the past, opting for "quality" over quantity. Today's 16MP APS-C X-Trans CMOS sensor of the X-Pro1 also less than the 20+MP of the other APS-C sensors, but time will tell if the X-Trans CMOS has the "quality"... in essence, will the X-Pro1 surface as well as the S2pro or the f31fd? The X-mount system is also in its infancy and too early to say how well it will pickup against / among the incumbent DSLRs and mirrorless systems... but the Fujifilm X-Po1, XF18mmF2 R, XF 35mmF1.4 R and XF60mmF2.4 R Macro is a great way to kick off the system!!

Last edited:
$2400 SRP sounds reasonsble. I was worried it might be in the 3k region reading some of the hearsay on forum threads. Of course I expect it to drop a little after the initial hype wears off...

I decide to try out the X100 in early December despite all the reviews about slow operational speeds / AF etc and despite knowing about the impending release of an interchangeable lens unit.

3 months and 7500+ shots later, it so mirrors the M6+35cron experience I missed about my DSLR that it has largely replaced my d700 for everything. I even shot a wedding with it last week in tandem with the d700. ( the optical viewfinder is the raison d'etre of this system!!)

I would get the Xpro1 even if Fuji did not change a single thing from the x100 except to make the lens interchangeable.
It does seem from the previews online though that the overall operational speed is snappier.

But I wouldn't sell my X100 because of the wonderful 35mm equivalent field of view. But couple that with a xpro1 and the 18 and 35mm X lenses, the combined equivalent of 28, 35 and 50mm will set me for life, and mirror how I use my rangefinder in the film days.

Fuji should have another winner in this :)

I had the good fortune of using this camera with all three lenses for three hours, a day before the official launch in Sri Lanka. The 'retro' look and feel of the camera together with the image quality, ease of handling and behavior even at high ISO was simply - Superb!!

Has anyone checked to see if the 35mm and 60mm lens blocks the OVF? I'm looking at some photos of them with their hoods and estimating their sizes, I'm pretty sure it's going to block some parts of the OVF. It would be sad to buy this cam and in the end just use the EVF.....:(

35mm with hood
42.jpg

60mm with hood
28.jpg

FARI

CJ edit > http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/fujifilm/1051134-fujifilm-x-pro1-optical-viewfinder-blockage.html

Last edited: