Fujifilm X-Pro1 : First Impressions at the Singapore Launch

Has anyone checked to see if the 35mm and 60mm lens blocks the OVF? I'm looking at some photos of them with their hoods and estimating their sizes, I'm pretty sure it's going to block some parts of the OVF. It would be sad to buy this cam and in the end just use the EVF.....:(

FARI

It's a 90mm equivalent FOV so even though it might partially block the VF, it won't block the framelines.

Has anyone checked to see if the 35mm and 60mm lens blocks the OVF? I'm looking at some photos of them with their hoods and estimating their sizes, I'm pretty sure it's going to block some parts of the OVF. It would be sad to buy this cam and in the end just use the EVF.....:(
FARI

Real men don't use hood.
:bsmilie:

While most reviewers have been "blow away" with the IQ of the X-Pro1, there has also been quite a bit said and speculated on the about its AF speed. I do not have the benefit of really having used the Fujifilm X100 to know the AF issues, but my benchmarks are possibly the D700 and M9 (??), point being, different people would have different expectations and different benchmarks to peg against.

And while I couldn't quite setup a side by side comparison to another mirrorless camera, shootout-style... but hopefully, this is somewhat useful in providing more information for a more objective view of the X-Pro1's AF speed. Setup, artificial florescent lighting, t-shirt distance 2.2m, ball distance 0.7m. I know that the preference would be for it to something a little further, but at 1am... my choices were limited. Recording was done by an iPhone. Pls put up your volume to hear the AF motor at work. 2 lenses were used, XF35mmF1.4R and the XF18mmF2 R.

My own comments:
- AF speed depends on the lens being used, the XF18 glass is a lot smaller lighter and thus faster than the XF35.
- The AF isn't as silent as I would like, esp for the larger XF35 (note the noisier startup and focusing)...
- There is a very subtle lag between AF confirmation and the LCD display...
- Aside from AF speed, AF was more effective with the XF18 with pretty much no misses, while the XF35 had the occasional "no focus".
- Esp for nearer subjects, switching to macro mode helps increase the AF confirmation rate, but macro mode AF range takes longer to search through...

[video=youtube;sDEGMgtJ_4E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDEGMgtJ_4E[/video]
Also found on Fujifilm X-Pro1 AF Speed Test | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Pls excuse the lameness of the test and the recording... but hopefully it provides you with a little more info about the AF performance of the Fujifilm X-Pro1.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

i'm wondering if I should sell my Canon EOS 600D for this?

Is it really that good? though i felt it's kinda expensive.

cks2k2 said:
Real men don't use hood.
:bsmilie:

Haha. I would say real photographers do not use protection filters.

Was just checking out Amazon Japan prices. X-Pro1 is selling there for around SGD$2000 body only.

Local prices (including GST) are a 20% markup. What on earth is happening?

Last edited:
Price in NYC 1700 USD

Thanks CJ for the useful video. Sounds a little like my old slr trying to drive, say, my old tamron 19-35 - but with much more accuracy. Ya, to be honest, I am probably one of those who've sent my expectations a little higher. Technology for AF nowadays is probably a notch or two above this. Thankfully, much like the X100, the pictures will speak louder than the quirks (despite missing a few good snaps).

The Fujifilm X-Pro1 is a really sexy camera that even non-photo geeks can use... this is particular reference to the Leica M9. The AF noise and the clicking of aperture blades can be a bit annoying, but hopefully the AF is sufficiently robust that the IQ from the lenses and X-Trans CMOS sensor can shine through. My experience thus far is that I have not had too much trouble in achieving AF focus in my normal home lighting and of course in normal daylight.

The Fujifilm X-Pro is comparable in size to the M9, or seen here the M7. But the XF35, while with a smaller image circle, is significantly larger than even the largest m-mount 35f1.4, packing in the AF motor within the lens. But good news is that while Fujifilm have not released the m-mount adaptor, it is evident in the firmware that we should be able to shoot with non-XF mount lenses... we eagerly await further news and announcements from Fujifilm to that end...

"click-click-click", when the camera adjust aperture for live view

Leica M7 | Fujifilm X-Pro1

when is the m-mount adaptor coming?!!

Thanks CJ for the useful video. Sounds a little like my old slr trying to drive, say, my old tamron 19-35 - but with much more accuracy. Ya, to be honest, I am probably one of those who've sent my expectations a little higher. Technology for AF nowadays is probably a notch or two above this. Thankfully, much like the X100, the pictures will speak louder than the quirks (despite missing a few good snaps).
great that you found it useful... i was afraid that you guys might not be able to hear the AF noise very well. it does remind me of focusing with AF-D (and non-D) lenses before the AF-S silent wave motors came.

More sample shots (F, DR100, STD)

| Fujifilm X-Pro1 | XF35mmF1.4 R | 1/52sec | f/1.4 | ISO400 |

| Fujifilm X-Pro1 | XF35mmF1.4 R | 1/300sec | f/1.4 | ISO200 |

| Fujifilm X-Pro1 | XF35mmF1.4 R | 1/160sec | f/1.4 | ISO200 |

| Fujifilm X-Pro1 | XF35mmF1.4 R | 1/220sec | f/1.4 | ISO200 |

| Fujifilm X-Pro1 | XF35mmF1.4 R | 1/100sec | f/2.8 | ISO200 |

Was just checking out Amazon Japan prices. X-Pro1 is selling there for around SGD$2000 body only.

Local prices (including GST) are a 20% markup. What on earth is happening?

Do you suppose street prices will be lower? Perhaps 10-15% cheaper?

Last edited:
why not, i think 15% off srp is normal... maybe not at launch, but when i bought the x100 a few months after release it was already at 16.4% discount from the sg msrp

Would make sense to wait then. Unfortunately early adopters often pay a premium. =/

yeah no harm waiting, that's what i'm doing. just don't make the wait painful by poring over reviews, sample screenshots, etc, everyday till nosebleed... get on in life and the next time (no, not tomorrow) you look up the price, it's just right around your sweet spot hee

Cactus jACK said:
While most reviewers have been "blow away" with the IQ of the X-Pro1, there has also been quite a bit said and speculated on the about its AF speed. I do not have the benefit of really having used the Fujifilm X100 to know the AF issues, but my benchmarks are possibly the D700 and M9 (??), point being, different people would have different expectations and different benchmarks to peg against.

And while I couldn't quite setup a side by side comparison to another mirrorless camera, shootout-style... but hopefully, this is somewhat useful in providing more information for a more objective view of the X-Pro1's AF speed. Setup, artificial florescent lighting, t-shirt distance 2.2m, ball distance 0.7m. I know that the preference would be for it to something a little further, but at 1am... my choices were limited. Recording was done by an iPhone. Pls put up your volume to hear the AF motor at work. 2 lenses were used, XF35mmF1.4R and the XF18mmF2 R.

My own comments:
- AF speed depends on the lens being used, the XF18 glass is a lot smaller lighter and thus faster than the XF35.
- The AF isn't as silent as I would like, esp for the larger XF35 (note the noisier startup and focusing)...
- There is a very subtle lag between AF confirmation and the LCD display...
- Aside from AF speed, AF was more effective with the XF18 with pretty much no misses, while the XF35 had the occasional "no focus".
- Esp for nearer subjects, switching to macro mode helps increase the AF confirmation rate, but macro mode AF range takes longer to search through...

YouTube Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDEGMgtJ_4E
Also found on Fujifilm X-Pro1 AF Speed Test | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Pls excuse the lameness of the test and the recording... but hopefully it provides you with a little more info about the AF performance of the Fujifilm X-Pro1.

Hi CJ,

Have you tried manual focus on the X-Pro1? Any focus peaking? Wonder how the experience will be like with M lenses when the adapter becomes available...

| Fujifilm X-Pro1 | XF35mmF1.4 R | XF18mmF2 R |

Wow! The X-Pro1 certainly looks the part! Beautiful...... I want, I want, I want!!!

BigBird said:
Hi CJ,

Have you tried manual focus on the X-Pro1? Any focus peaking? Wonder how the experience will be like with M lenses when the adapter becomes available...

I don't own the camera but I can assure you it doesn't have focus peaking. ;-)

Hi CJ,

I don't own the camera but I can assure you it doesn't have focus peaking. ;-)
based on what i see using the current lenses and firmware,

i) MF mode can be accessed via the focus mode selector : M / S / C.
ii) This brings up 2 features a) Optional AF using the "AF-L / AE-L" button, and b) "Focus Check" magnification MF assist via the scroll dial.

the "Focus Check" magnifies the current focus spot / rectangle, as seen above. the one-time AF naturally will only work on XF lenses, useful with the XF60mmF2.4 Macro R when doing macro... best with a tripod, the subtle LCD lag can give a sense of vertigo if you're viewing it handheld in magnification mode...

again, this is based on current firmware. one can hold out hope that a some form of peaking function be implemented in a firmware update, ala the Sony NEX-3 and NEX-5. whatever the case maybe, i hope that there are some improvements or upgrades in this regards in conjunction with the official release of the adaptor. *fingers crossed*