Fujifilm X-E2

Sadly still in office.. Will share more thoughts etc over the weekend

Congratulations. Do share with us. I'm thinking of trying out the xe2:D

I did some quick comparison with XE2 with 18-55mmF2.8/4 and X100s. For XE2, zoom set at 23mm, F4. Given that the XE2 seems to have adopted things whole sale from X100s (e.g. PDAF, X Trans II), you would expect the XE2 and X100s focus speed be similar. But the focus for XE2 with 18-55 is way way better than X100s. Faster and can lock on more often in low light (so low that I could hardly see it, and used no AF light) with little contrast (pure black, pure white). With x100 you can feel and hear the lens moving quite a bit before it lock or sometimes don't even lock. With XE2, the movement is very fast and can lock much more often.

That being said, I did play with a Olympus EM-1 a week ago and in terms of speed, the EM-1 wipes any Fuji even XE2 off the floor. The response is so fast it just make you feel like holding a machine gun and want to just keep shooting. With the XE2, its like holding a semi automatic sniper rifle. With the X100s its like a snipe rifle that have to recock each time. Then again, response is not everthing, I did not like the lack of labelling on the EM1 nor the extra weight (imagine a 43 system heavier than a APS C).

Last edited:
Collected my X-E2 this evening. For what I do, the faster AF is not significant. I think the single most important improvement the X-E2 offers is the screen. Its so much better than X-E1! I miss the dedicated view button where I can switch between the screen and evf easily. However on the X-E1, even when the screen is switched off, it will be switched on automatically when I hit the review button. X-E2 doesn't do that. The built-in leveller is still single axis. That's a pain. Rest of the camera feels the same like X-E1. Both camera share the same optional grip so I assume all half cases, L brackets, etc which fits the X-E1 will also fit the X-E2.

My Aperture software does not support x-e2 raw format. I thought it will be the same as x100s. I wonder how long I have to wait for the support.

Last edited:
My Aerture software does not support x-e2 raw format. I thought it will be the same as x100s. I wonder how long I have to wait for the support.
wah u bought xe2?

wah u bought xe2?

Ya bro easier to have a second body to mount another prime lens. Decided not to wait for x-pro2 as it may be a long wait.

Thought you only have 1 x-e1? But saw that you were getting the grip for your x-pro1?

Tried the Wifi with XE2. Quite easy to setup, easier than Sony RX100Mk II which was confusing. Had option to downsize to 3M when transferring (either on or off, one size only). 3M transferred quite fast.

of the camera feels the same like X-E1. Both camera share the same optional grip so I assume all half cases, L brackets, etc which fits the X-E1 will also fit the X-E2.

Was gonna ask the same. Good to know the accessories might be the same !

If I may, do u know the thumbs up will fit too ?

Was gonna ask the same. Good to know the accessories might be the same !

If I may, do u know the thumbs up will fit too ?

I directly transferred my thumbs up, Fuji handgrip and soft release from my XE1 to XE2. Fits perfectly.

The only thing that won't fit is the screen protector as its of a different size.

I directly transferred my thumbs up, Fuji handgrip and soft release from my XE1 to XE2. Fits perfectly.

The only thing that won't fit is the screen protector as its of a different size.

Thanks Robin ! Great News indeed !

So now they can Take my $$$ LOLLL

Thanks again !

Not much testing yet. But so what I noticed was in MF with focus peaking, its visible in EVF. Previously in X100s, you can see in only in LCD, in EVF can hardly see. Now EVF and LCD just as visible.

Sorry, my mistake .. I was referring to the XE1 with firmware upgrade to provide focus peaking. Basically with XE1 and firmware upgrade, the peaking can hardly be seen in EVF but can see in screen. But with X100s and XE2, both EVF and screen work well for focus peaking. So given that we chose the X series because of the EVF, the firmware upgrade for focus peaking not that useful. But it works well in XE2.

Did some more testing at home. Comparing one to one with XE1 and XE2 with 18-55mm lens. Not only is the XE2 faster, but there are many times the XE1 just won't lock focus, but the XE2 would lock easily. But both also die when focussing on pure white with no texture, but then my Nikon D7000 would die also. So for those who say the XE1 is fast enough for them, you should also consider how many times the XE1 would fail to lock focus and you keep trying to point all over the place to find something to lock focus on. You would do this much less with XE2.

I did some quick comparison with XE2 with 18-55mmF2.8/4 and X100s. For XE2, zoom set at 23mm, F4. Given that the XE2 seems to have adopted things whole sale from X100s (e.g. PDAF, X Trans II), you would expect the XE2 and X100s focus speed be similar. But the focus for XE2 with 18-55 is way way better than X100s. Faster and can lock on more often in low light (so low that I could hardly see it, and used no AF light) with little contrast (pure black, pure white). With x100 you can feel and hear the lens moving quite a bit before it lock or sometimes don't even lock. With XE2, the movement is very fast and can lock much more often.

I did try out a GX7, EM1 and XE2 EVF. I found the GX7 with strange colour. The EM1 which is highly praised as being the best EVF was to me good and bad in a way. It was good because it was LARGE .. never saw anything saw big before. But then I did not find it that sharp. Maybe because its also got 2million dots but bigger. The XE2 on the other hand is smaller than EM1 but same 2 million or so dots, so look very rich and smooth (like Apple Retina display). So if you like big EM1 is good. If you like sharp and rich XE2 is good. Not until they come up with a new 4-5million dot and large EVF.

After shooting a while I realised why I felt that way. XE2 even if you switch off the preview, once you shot a single shot there is a brief black out before you can shoot the next shot. You also have this in EM1 but the black out is super short. The EM1 when you shot also you can feel the shutter move very quickly, whereas the XE2 doing it slower.

But unless you really shooting like paparazzi the speed of the XE2 is no issue. For paparazzi, their quality requirements not so high, they just need to get the shoot and also they are in danger of being pushed and camera dropped, so EM1 better for paparazzi ..

That being said, I did play with a Olympus EM-1 a week ago and in terms of speed, the EM-1 wipes any Fuji even XE2 off the floor. The response is so fast it just make you feel like holding a machine gun and want to just keep shooting. With the XE2, its like holding a semi automatic sniper rifle. With the X100s its like a sniper rifle that have to recock each time. Then again, response is not everthing, I did not like the lack of labelling on the EM1 nor the extra weight (imagine a 43 system heavier than a APS C).

Last edited:
Tried the Wifi with XE2. Quite easy to setup, easier than Sony RX100Mk II which was confusing. Had option to downsize to 3M when transferring (either on or off, one size only). 3M transferred quite fast.

I set it to off and its taking not more than 5 secs to transfer an image. Pretty good I think.

BYW, X-E2 folks! How's the battery life? My first charge lasted for about 300 shots before power indicator turned red(not flashing though).
You are fast, 300 plus shots already! Usually I will not shoot more than 200 shots per day so consider good for me. Anyway keep spare cheap 3rd party battery just in case the juice ran out.